Featured Thread
Interesting what Chip has done to the overall style. By pulling the bottom of the car in behind the back wheels I'd think the trunk area would be adjusted somewhat.

JMO but I think Chip's point with not being able to identify with the car being a Corvette is accurate. But to be honest, I think a ton of C8 buyers didn't really care if it was a Corvette or not. A McLaren 600T would have worked just as well if the dollars had been equal. Toss on some camo or remove the badges and what do you have, other than a $300,000.00 hit to your bank account...

:Lurk5::Lurk5:

1613841753749.png

1613841470436.png

1613841296880.png

Why do we care?
JMO but I think Chip's point with not being able to identify with the car being a Corvette is accurate. But to be honest, I think a ton of C8 buyers didn't really care if it was a Corvette or not. A McLaren 600T would have worked just as well if the dollars had been equal. Toss on some camo or remove the badges and what do you have, other than a $300,000.00 hit to your bank account..

My point exactly.

I think it is pretty typical that each new generation of Corvette outsells the previous due to improvements, design modifications, etc. Part of the thrill of driving any Corvette is the fact that they turn heads, garner wavs and thumbs up anywhere you go and part of that was due to the limited number of Corvettes on the road. Everyone use to recognize a Corvette as a Corvette. They were known as the classic American sports car right up to 2020.
Take the C7 generation. Even with the early announcement of a C8 debut, they averaged over 28,300 in sales for each of the 6 years and over 36,000 in their inaugural year and they still looked like a Corvette. The GM focus for the C8 has changed. Their intent is to reach 200,000 C8 units world wide per year as soon as possible, with the majority of those to remain in the US and Canada and appeal predominantly to the Gen X buyers and exotic buyers overseas. I fear the brand will become diluted.
For comparison, Ford sold the Gen X an average of just over 90,000 Mustangs per year in the US and an average of 48,000 per year in Canada during the 6 year C7 Corvette generation. There was a time that many of you likely don't remember, that the Mustang use to get waves and thumbs up too. No-one even notices a Mustang anymore unless it's careening into a crowd of people.
If and when GM reaches it's full intended yearly C8 production numbers, there will gradually come a sad day when no one notices the car anymore and aren't aware of the history and that it use to stand for something (and still will to us "older buyers"). Most won't even recognize that it is a Corvette. JMO

Corvette was dying a slow death with mostly older buyers, of course we like it to resemble more like an exotic.
You are absolutely correct. I said earlier that I liked Chip's ideas, but obviously GM marketing saw more opportunities by offering an exotic for 25% the retail price. Performance and engineering drove the base design. Could any of us mortals have done a better job for $60,000 US?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread