Objects in the mirror just keep getting smaller
Casual User
Jan 15, 2021
VetteCoins
Car
2002 C5 Z06
Province
AB
I am certain that this may have been covered somewhere before, but couldn't find an answer using the search bar. What is the easiest (and yes I will say it...cheapest) way to remove carwash swirls and other scratches in the paint. Black has to be the worst color to hide scratches, but there must be some method out there that won't break the bank... I hope..

Bonus question.... same question regarding paint chips... living in Alberta sucks.. need I say more?

Hey RescueRob. I suggest you begin cleaning your paint with a non-cutting clay bar. I had lots of swirl on my C6 so I bought a Meguiars clay bar kit at Canadian Tire. This was a very good start that removed (cleaned) almost all of the swirl and is a super easy, fun DIY job in a well-lit, heated garage (add some tunes and your poison of choice). :Hurray:

For small paint chips I buy the touch up paint pen from a dealership. They are about 20 bucks. The dealership will need your car serial number for the color match.

For anything else I have good experience with an Edmonton detail shop. They do small paint repairs (most detail shops work with a collision repair shop for the bigger stuff), apply paint coatings and plastic protection films. .... They aren't cheap but I suggest you stop in a detail shop and talk a bit. A good shop is there to help you, not just empty your wallet.

:Cheers2:

It's a bit of an investment if you want to do it yourself properly. There isn't any magic compound you just "wax on, wax off" that takes swirls away.

You'll likely need to wash the car thoroughly, then clay bar, then cut and polish, and if you are going through all that, you might as well seal and wax. If you do this properly, it will take the better part of a day.

A basic Rotary kit from Amazon is about $200 for the rotary, compounds, and pads. You will still need to get a clay bar kit no matter what to prep the paint. Do not skip this step.

Reactions: Rescuerob
It's a bit of an investment if you want to do it yourself properly. There isn't any magic compound you just "wax on, wax off" that takes swirls away.

You'll likely need to wash the car thoroughly, then clay bar, then cut and polish, and if you are going through all that, you might as well seal and wax. If you do this properly, it will take the better part of a day.

A basic Rotary kit from Amazon is about $200 for the rotary, compounds, and pads. You will still need to get a clay bar kit no matter what to prep the paint. Do not skip this step.
Much appreciated TCinthe6. :)

Hey RescueRob. I suggest you begin cleaning your paint with a non-cutting clay bar. I had lots of swirl on my C6 so I bought a Meguiars clay bar kit at Canadian Tire. This was a very good start that removed (cleaned) almost all of the swirl and is a super easy, fun DIY job in a well-lit, heated garage (add some tunes and your poison of choice). :Hurray:

For small paint chips I buy the touch up paint pen from a dealership. They are about 20 bucks. The dealership will need your car serial number for the color match.

For anything else I have good experience with an Edmonton detail shop. They do small paint repairs (most detail shops work with a collision repair shop for the bigger stuff), apply paint coatings and plastic protection films. .... They aren't cheap but I suggest you stop in a detail shop and talk a bit. A good shop is there to help you, not just empty your wallet.

:Cheers2:
Clay bar will NOT remove any swirls. In fact clay bars will introduce “micro swirls”. A paint correction Is needed to remove swirls and scratches. Wash, iron decontamination, clay bar, paint correction then chose of wax, sealant, ceramic, etc.

Clay bar will NOT remove any swirls. In fact clay bars will introduce “micro swirls”. A paint correction Is needed to remove swirls and scratches. Wash, iron decontamination, clay bar, paint correction then chose of wax, sealant, ceramic, etc.
If a clay bar is introducing swirls, it is not being used properly or a too aggressive grade of clay is being used. I use a clay bar only when needed and always the fine grade with a ton of lubricant, and straight horizontal movement only with almost zero pressure. Haven't created a swirl yet,

If a clay bar is introducing swirls, it is not being used properly or a too aggressive grade of clay is being used. I use a clay bar only when needed and always the fine grade with a ton of lubricant, and straight horizontal movement only with almost zero pressure. Haven't created a swirl yet,
Done more paint correction than I care to admit. You may not see it but it will leave micro marring. I do agree it gets used incorrectly by many which only increases the chance. Been doing lots of ceramic and graphene coatings in the last year and clay is a must along with paint correction.

Reactions: RockyPM
Done more paint correction than I care to admit. You may not see it but it will leave micro marring. I do agree it gets used incorrectly by many which only increases the chance. Been doing lots of ceramic and graphene coatings in the last year and clay is a must along with paint correction.
Fair enough but if I don't see it, it's not really there.... :rofl:

• Haha
Reactions: Vegas1500 and Dik

Users who are viewing this thread