Aug 26, 2021
Montreal
VetteCoins
Car
Corvette 2023 C8 Z51
Province
QC
Hopefully some of you will thank me later. Here are the details.

Last year my wife changed out her car (BMW 435 to Lexus IS 300). I landed a super helpful insurance agent on the phone, who explained to me how I could save a LOT more money, by combining our cars into 1 insurance policy. Previously we had our own insurance policies for each of our cars. Now I cannot recall exactly how much I saved, but I recall falling off my chair when he gave me the price. I have some chicken scratch notes written down, and I believe (don't quote me) that if the car remained on it's own policy, the '21 Lexus IS would have cost somewhere around $1200 (don't forget some of the Japanese cars are both hot on the theft list and expensive for parts to repair). By combining the policy, that $1200 dropped to around $500. Your mileage may differ.

Here is where things get really interesting for our C8's. I was told that when you go ahead and add a 3rd or 4th vehicle to a family policy (think summer car or your child's car), the added savings drop even more, because it is a group insurance for the family and the collection of cars. For kicks and giggles, I asked him (last year) how much it would cost me to add a '23 C8 Stingray HTC, I was expecting a quote of $1200-$1500, at least $1000, and the quote (in 2021) was $776. I could not believe my ears, so jotted down the numbers for the future.

The future has arrived, so I called back the insurance company just now, to prepare the insurance, to pickup the car in ON at the end of this month, and drive it back to QC. Now before I give you the price, note the following in terms of insurance options (which drives the price of the insurance cost up) :
$250 full peril deductible (covering both collision and fire, theft vandalism)
Depreciation option (no depreciation applied over 3 years, if car is written off, receive full value from invoice)
Rental (in case one is needed while car is in for repairs)
$1M liability coverage (can take $2M if required)
5000 KM's / YR
TAG tracking (this one saves you a bunch)

I say all the above, because if you take a higher deductible, or refuse the depreciation option or rental option, the price would be even lower that the price I got.

Drum roll: $368 + $70 (depreciation option) = $438

Even lower than last year's quote. And he re-assured me that when the time comes to add my son to the policy (once he gets his own car, on a learner permit now), the group savings will increase even more. So wanted to share that bit of info with you guys, in case some of you are running separate policies on all of your vehicles.

In case some of you want to know, my insurance company is TD Insurance (Meloche Monnex)

(I should have asked what a Z06 would have cost to insure just for the fun of it)

Reactions: wlgj
Is "tag tracking" the thing you stuff into the OBD2 port?
Please see my post in the Main section of this forum where all of those details (and more) are provided for tracking a vehicle. In short no, it is a GPS tracking service, OBD port lock is something you would do on your own. Insurance companies give discounts for 1 of 2 tracking services (one being TAG), or Sherlock engraving. I do both TAG and Tracki GPS tracking (double) on both cars (plus steering wheel lock on C8).

Thanks Neils.

I'm also with that same insurer but in Alberta and I'm paying a LOT more for my vehicle insurance (almost triple your rate), despite being with TD Meloche for over 40 years...and even with all my vehicles on the same policy (sigh). So consider yourself +++ spoiled with what you're paying. Having said that, I do have one speeding ticket on my record, which I know boosts my premium; perhaps you have none.

• Wow
Reactions: Neils
Please see my post in the Main section of this forum where all of those details (and more) are provided for tracking a vehicle. In short no, it is a GPS tracking service, OBD port lock is something you would do on your own. Insurance companies give discounts for 1 of 2 tracking services (one being TAG), or Sherlock engraving. I do both TAG and Tracki GPS tracking (double) on both cars (plus steering wheel lock on C8).
I was asked if I was interested in plugging something into the obd port, that would track my driving, and I'd get a discount.
As much as I enjoy discounts......this is not for me.

Apple air tags are becoming popular for theft recovery.

Thanks Neils.

I'm also with that same insurer but in Alberta and I'm paying a LOT more for my vehicle insurance (almost triple your rate), despite being with TD Meloche for over 40 years...and even with all my vehicles on the same policy (sigh). So consider yourself +++ spoiled with what you're paying. Having said that, I do have one speeding ticket on my record, which I know boosts my premium; perhaps you have none.
I have been a good boy with no tickets in the last several years, but I also don’t drive the C8 yet, so hoping I stay a good boy :)

I forgot to mention, which you probably already know, if you sign up to use their TD app, and allow big brother to collect your driving habits like speed and time behind the wheel (without incident), then you can get another 5%-25% off the price. I did this in the past for the family vehicles cause we do not speed with them so why not, but the C8 may pass on that since the insurance cost is already cheap !!

Expensive to live in Alberta man !!!

I have been a good boy with no tickets in the last several years, but I also don’t drive the C8 yet, so hoping I stay a good boy :)

I forgot to mention, which you probably already know, if you sign up to use their TD app, and allow big brother to collect your driving habits like speed and time behind the wheel (without incident), then you can get another 5%-25% off the price. I did this in the past for the family vehicles cause we do not speed with them so why not, but the C8 may pass on that since the insurance cost is already cheap !!

Expensive to live in Alberta man !!!

There's NO WAY I'd subscribe to any app allowing someone to monitor my driving habits...

Actuaries, actuaries, actuaries
Location, location, location
Rates are determined by statistics kept in actuaries.
Uxbridge has one of the lowest accident rates in Ontario. Markham one of the highest.
You can not compare rates in different areas. You can only compare rates between companies.
Also, bankers are money grubbing scum. Stay away from bank insurance at all costs. What appears to be a good deal on the surface will almost surely bite you in the A$$ if you ever need to make a claim.

Reactions: wlgj
Uxbridge has one of the lowest accident rates in Ontario. Markham one of the highest.
You can not compare rates in different areas. You can only compare rates between companies.
Also, bankers are money grubbing scum. Stay away from bank insurance at all costs. What appears to be a good deal on the surface will almost surely bite you in the A$$ if you ever need to make a claim.

disagree with the bank opinion for insurance and it’s not just direct with the bank, hence the underwriter name next to it. Have been with them for years and had a few claims (including my favorite from decades ago, an 18 wheeler driving down a residential road realizing he is on the wrong road, then backing up and attempting to turn the rig and trailer onto a side road and with full focus on his side mirror did not realize my show truck Infiniti FX45 getting torn up and ripped apart at low speed while I stood and watched in disbelief).

All that to say for all the claims I have made with them over the years, not once did they question the cost or send an evaluator out to review. I chose places they usually work with too.

They are great check writers and also my annual premiums never went up the next year too.

Anyhow, point of my post is to share info on how to save (where possible), figured sharing is caring that’s all.

disagree with the bank opinion for insurance and it’s not just direct with the bank, hence the underwriter name next to it. Have been with them for years and had a few claims (including my favorite from decades ago, an 18 wheeler driving down a residential road realizing he is on the wrong road, then backing up and attempting to turn the rig and trailer onto a side road and with full focus on his side mirror did not realize my show truck Infiniti FX45 getting torn up and ripped apart at low speed while I stood and watched in disbelief).

All that to say for all the claims I have made with them over the years, not once did they question the cost or send an evaluator out to review. I chose places they usually work with too.

They are great check writers and also my annual premiums never went up the next year too.

Anyhow, point of my post is to share info on how to save (where possible), figured sharing is caring that’s all.
How many were your fault?

How many were your fault?
ah different story. One cannot expect a great price if they are driving into people or speeding, common sense. I don’t believe out of the half dozen claims we made in the last 10+ years that any was our fault, and driving record is clean, no tickets in last several years. So yeah, I benefit from a good insurance price. Makes sense !!

BCs insane provincial run insurance: (I have no accidents and no tickets)
No discount for multiple vehicles.
Small discount for low mileage but not if some months are on a storage policy so I don't get a discount
Insurance costs follow the driver; not the vehicle so if I have a small claim on one of my motorcycles, my C8 and SUV insurance also skyrocket. I have C8 for summer and CRV for winter and 2 motorcycles for fun. The break-even amount for any claim is $5000.
I can only drive one vehicle at a time and am listed as the only driver and pay $3000 per year and yet during 6 months only the CRV is driven. On the plus side if you have just one vehicle our rates are good.

Finally (drum roll please) here a C8 storage policy for 1 year in an alarmed, secured, heated garage is $400.

BCs insane provincial run insurance: (I have no accidents and no tickets)
No discount for multiple vehicles.
Small discount for low mileage but not if some months are on a storage policy so I don't get a discount
Insurance costs follow the driver; not the vehicle so if I have a small claim on one of my motorcycles, my C8 and SUV insurance also skyrocket. I have C8 for summer and CRV for winter and 2 motorcycles for fun. The break-even amount for any claim is $5000.
I can only drive one vehicle at a time and am listed as the only driver and pay $3000 per year and yet during 6 months only the CRV is driven. On the plus side if you have just one vehicle our rates are good.

Finally (drum roll please) here a C8 storage policy for 1 year in an alarmed, secured, heated garage is $400.
$3000 per year including the CRV and bikes or just for the C8 ? If just for the C8 then holy moly !! And here I was hoping the company would not quote me higher than the $700 quote from last year. For some of you, costs a heck of a lot to roll around in a toy like the C8 even for only a few nice months. Shocking !!

There's NO WAY I'd subscribe to any app allowing someone to monitor my driving habits...

There's NO WAY I'd subscribe to any app allowing someone to monitor my internet habits...

There's NO WAY I'd subscribe to any app allowing someone to monitor my toiletry habits...

• Scared
Reactions: Vettenut
Hopefully some of you will thank me later. Here are the details.

Last year my wife changed out her car (BMW 435 to Lexus IS 300). I landed a super helpful insurance agent on the phone, who explained to me how I could save a LOT more money, by combining our cars into 1 insurance policy. Previously we had our own insurance policies for each of our cars. Now I cannot recall exactly how much I saved, but I recall falling off my chair when he gave me the price. I have some chicken scratch notes written down, and I believe (don't quote me) that if the car remained on it's own policy, the '21 Lexus IS would have cost somewhere around $1200 (don't forget some of the Japanese cars are both hot on the theft list and expensive for parts to repair). By combining the policy, that $1200 dropped to around $500. Your mileage may differ.

Here is where things get really interesting for our C8's. I was told that when you go ahead and add a 3rd or 4th vehicle to a family policy (think summer car or your child's car), the added savings drop even more, because it is a group insurance for the family and the collection of cars. For kicks and giggles, I asked him (last year) how much it would cost me to add a '23 C8 Stingray HTC, I was expecting a quote of $1200-$1500, at least $1000, and the quote (in 2021) was $776. I could not believe my ears, so jotted down the numbers for the future.

The future has arrived, so I called back the insurance company just now, to prepare the insurance, to pickup the car in ON at the end of this month, and drive it back to QC. Now before I give you the price, note the following in terms of insurance options (which drives the price of the insurance cost up) :
$250 full peril deductible (covering both collision and fire, theft vandalism)
Depreciation option (no depreciation applied over 3 years, if car is written off, receive full value from invoice)
Rental (in case one is needed while car is in for repairs)
$1M liability coverage (can take $2M if required)
5000 KM's / YR
TAG tracking (this one saves you a bunch)

I say all the above, because if you take a higher deductible, or refuse the depreciation option or rental option, the price would be even lower that the price I got.

Drum roll: $368 + $70 (depreciation option) = $438

Even lower than last year's quote. And he re-assured me that when the time comes to add my son to the policy (once he gets his own car, on a learner permit now), the group savings will increase even more. So wanted to share that bit of info with you guys, in case some of you are running separate policies on all of your vehicles.

In case some of you want to know, my insurance company is TD Insurance (Meloche Monnex)

(I should have asked what a Z06 would have cost to insure just for the fun of it)
Fellow Montrealer here. I also use TD but paying way too much. Any chance you can intro me to your rep? much appreciated!

Fellow Montrealer here. I also use TD but paying way too much. Any chance you can intro me to your rep? much appreciated!
I don’t have a rep per say, just spoke to whomever answered the phone. But the key for me was that I had already moved our 2 vehicles together onto one family policy. We also both do not have any speeding tickets or accidents for years so that probably helps. And TAG tracking is the big one for savings. Can call and mention my name to have them look me up to compare, can PM me for me to share those details. But you need to get TAG and combine on a family plan to start at a good price point

I don’t have a rep per say, just spoke to whomever answered the phone. But the key for me was that I had already moved our 2 vehicles together onto one family policy. We also both do not have any speeding tickets or accidents for years so that probably helps. And TAG tracking is the big one for savings. Can call and mention my name to have them look me up to compare, can PM me for me to share those details. But you need to get TAG and combine on a family plan to start at a good price point
Got it, thank you. Not sure if I want a tag in my corvette lol.

Got it, thank you. Not sure if I want a tag in my corvette lol.
dépends if you want to track it once it gets stolen, both the family Lexus IS F-Sport and the upcoming C8 have or will have both TAG and GPS tracking. When the car disappears off my driveway I want to immediately know where it is and bring the cops with me to the drop point. That’s on top of an OBD and steering wheel lock.

I laugh when people say, but I have insurance and that is what it is there for. Good luck with that and getting back onto a wait list for a replacement.

Even my 2 dogs have paid GPS tracking on them (ask me why) :)

Reactions: Rhue
dépends if you want to track it once it gets stolen, both the family Lexus IS F-Sport and the upcoming C8 have or will have both TAG and GPS tracking. When the car disappears off my driveway I want to immediately know where it is and bring the cops with me to the drop point. That’s on top of an OBD and steering wheel lock.

I laugh when people say, but I have insurance and that is what it is there for. Good luck with that and getting back onto a wait list for a replacement.

Even my 2 dogs have paid GPS tracking on them (ask me why) :)
Good points. My issue isn’t the safety. I have the onstar system. It’s the driving habit tracking. If I speed a little, I don’t want to be penalized. For my X3, I have no issues putting it in there. Appreciate the perspective 👍