Dec 17, 2019
VetteCoins
Car
2016 ZF1 Stingray
Province
QC
So I'd like to know your stories and events when your car and you get that head turning attention. What are the positive comments, do some act jealously with negative comments? Due to the car being an attention grabber do the police try to follow to catch you or pull you over for no obvious reason?

Do you get annoyed from people who want to chat you up at the gas station? Or do you love the eyes on you while driving?

Reactions: OttawaKev
The Vettes get head turning attention everywhere. Thumbs up at traffic lights from the cars beside you. Waves and positive comments shouted from sidewalks as you go by. Drools and "nice car" comments from take-out window girls and guys... (And I'm pretty sure they aren't flirting with me)...lol...
Had lots of this with my C6 as well but even more with the C7. My favorite instance after I first got the C7, I took it to the gas station to fill up and there was a 911 at the pump across from me. A car pulls in with three young hotties in it and they jump out to go in, see us at the pumps and they all ran over to me and raved over the car, asked if they could take selfies with it... on and on... Guy in the 911 looked crestfallen... I smiled... Lots of guys like to talk to you.
Some guys only want to know how fast it will go, how much it costs, one guy asked if it was a Ferrari...lol... Seldom get negatives... Once two young guys in opposing traffic yelled some slam as i met them but I didn't even hear what they actually were saying... Mostly "nice car" comments from anyone that says anything....
In my experience, police don't follow me anywhere. They will look as you go by, and once as I was meeting a cop on the highway, he didn't have his radar on until he realized I was driving a Vette... I wasn't speeding and he didn't turn around but when my radar detector all of a sudden started screaming when he was only a couple hundred feet from me, I called it Vehicular Profiling... lol... I've never been pulled over. A lot of that is luck... and caution in the right places.
Don't drive it like you stole it in traffic, especially as somebody will phone it in and you will get pulled over. If you're going to stretch it out, or see how much rubber you can fry off, find a deserted piece of road somewhere....

What do you reply to those guys who ask how much it costs? I'm not sure if I'd want want to say the price but I have to prepare some kind of reply. Saying the price it might open up to trying to explain the price differences due to the models, extra options of performance and interior trims.

If someone isn't shy giving the price out would you say before or after taxes? :p :p

I bet the Ferrari comment isn't that rare, it looks so exotic that it fits right in. I would be tempted to fool around and say it's a modified Toyota corrola.

I like the chick story, it makes for a great souvenir!

Reactions: ccltj and OttawaKev
I have been asked the “cost” question. My response has always been that ownership isn’t cheap but what price can you put on the smiles and satisfaction.
What do you reply to those guys who ask how much it costs? I'm not sure if I'd want want to say the price but I have to prepare some kind of reply. Saying the price it might open up to trying to explain the price differences due to the models, extra options of performance and interior trims.

If someone isn't shy giving the price out would you say before or after taxes? :p :p

I bet the Ferrari comment isn't that rare, it looks so exotic that it fits right in. I would be tempted to fool around and say it's a modified Toyota corrola.

I like the chick story, it makes for a great souvenir!
Cool post and responses everyone. As a dealer I get asked how much a car costs every couple of hours and believe it or not I normally do not like to tell them directly how much it costs because I know that it is essentially useless information.I like to keep the conversation upbeat cause after you tell a dude at a gas station your driving something worth half of his house the convo normally goes a bit dry. What something costs has a lot less bearing on a purchasing decision than most people think. People buy a vet on an emotional level and not because it is 75k. When someone asks you how much it costs I treat it almost as a filler question that their subconscious blurts out. If you can afford a vette and are serious about buying one they rarely ask cost related questions. People that ask price just don't know what else to ask so they blurt that out.

Cool post and responses everyone. As a dealer I get asked how much a car costs every couple of hours and believe it or not I normally do not like to tell them directly how much it costs because I know that it is essentially useless information.I like to keep the conversation upbeat cause after you tell a dude at a gas station your driving something worth half of his house the convo normally goes a bit dry. What something costs has a lot less bearing on a purchasing decision than most people think. People buy a vet on an emotional level and not because it is 75k. When someone asks you how much it costs I treat it almost as a filler question that their subconscious blurts out. If you can afford a vette and are serious about buying one they rarely ask cost related questions. People that ask price just don't know what else to ask so they blurt that out.

Someone asking the price at the gas station is an entirely different dynamic from asking a salesman at a dealer :

I disagree if someone asks the price at the dealer like I did. When I went to the dealer to shop for a C7, I went in there seriously and told him so I wasn't there to kick tires, the salesman said he'd make me a better deal on the sticker price because he wanted the dealer to be the top seller in the area. So I asked what was the actual price. I went there to see if I could find something within my very specific budget. He came back a few minutes later saying 500$ biweekly. That answer pissed me off because it was a huge insult taking me for a moron and playing games. For me it isn't useless information because my budget and payment plan was made up already. Then trying to hide the fact that all people budget their stuff on a monthly basis and making it look affordable with a lower number is another deceitful tactic in my opinion. My GF was confused so I said 1000$/month and she started to comprehended, the payment could of been 6 years, 10 years, 12 years who knows, it didn't answer my question what the price was.

In no way was I going to go over budget and ending up in financial trouble. I asked again and he replied he didn't know. He was black listed, the dealership too.

• Wow
Reactions: ccltj and RockyPM
I get much of the same as @Rruuff Day . Almost entirely positive comments. Very rarely negative.

I actually haven't been asked the "how much" question yet, but if I did, I'd say it was less expensive than your [insert vehicle other person is driving here, if they're driving a new(ish) vehicle). I'm not lying.

I do get a lot of people commenting on me driving it in the winter, to which I reply, "It's too fun to drive to put it away for 6 months!"

I get asked every once in a while what it's worth and it seems to always surprise people when I tell them it's a $20,000 car as they think it's more expensive. Then I tell them they could get one similar to mine for less money if they look around (because I don't want them to buy mine :D). I don't think people in Saskatoon notice a C5 very much. Maybe it's the pewter color that blends into traffic, maybe it's because it's an older model that isn't old enough to be a classic that really sticks out, but it's not new enough to be a new car. It doesn't really matter to me as I really am liking it more and more with the different changes I've made. But anyway, to get back on topic, most of the comments are positive, people appreciate it and like it. Any negative comments are just made to get a reaction as opposed to people actually hating the car.

I get asked every once in a while what it's worth and it seems to always surprise people when I tell them it's a $20,000 car as they think it's more expensive. Then I tell them they could get one similar to mine for less money if they look around (because I don't want them to buy mine :D). I don't think people in Saskatoon notice a C5 very much. Maybe it's the pewter color that blends into traffic, maybe it's because it's an older model that isn't old enough to be a classic that really sticks out, but it's not new enough to be a new car. It doesn't really matter to me as I really am liking it more and more with the different changes I've made. But anyway, to get back on topic, most of the comments are positive, people appreciate it and like it. Any negative comments are just made to get a reaction as opposed to people actually hating the car.

The number of people who are shocked when I tell them it's 11 years old....

Before I purchased the car I did get a nasty comment from the very well off unofficial mother in law to her daughter, "owning a Corvette is a well fare dream". Guess what I did purchase the car 2 weeks later! Guess what she needed a plumber 3 weeks afterward and I was "just too busy"(not true) so she hired 3 different hacks to screw her faucet even more. Go figure.

Before I purchased the car I did get a nasty comment from the very well off unofficial mother in law to her daughter, "owning a Corvette is a well fare dream". Guess what I did purchase the car 2 weeks later! Guess what she needed a plumber 3 weeks afterward and I was "just too busy"(not true) so she hired 3 different hacks to screw her faucet even more. Go figure.
[/QUOTE

There are things in life that leave us no choice .... and things in life that do. Damn I'm deep.... lol....

The Vettes get head turning attention everywhere. Thumbs up at traffic lights from the cars beside you. Waves and positive comments shouted from sidewalks as you go by. Drools and "nice car" comments from take-out window girls and guys... (And I'm pretty sure they aren't flirting with me)...lol...
Had lots of this with my C6 as well but even more with the C7. My favorite instance after I first got the C7, I took it to the gas station to fill up and there was a 911 at the pump across from me. A car pulls in with three young hotties in it and they jump out to go in, see us at the pumps and they all ran over to me and raved over the car, asked if they could take selfies with it... on and on... Guy in the 911 looked crestfallen... I smiled... Lots of guys like to talk to you.
Some guys only want to know how fast it will go, how much it costs, one guy asked if it was a Ferrari...lol... Seldom get negatives... Once two young guys in opposing traffic yelled some slam as i met them but I didn't even hear what they actually were saying... Mostly "nice car" comments from anyone that says anything....
In my experience, police don't follow me anywhere. They will look as you go by, and once as I was meeting a cop on the highway, he didn't have his radar on until he realized I was driving a Vette... I wasn't speeding and he didn't turn around but when my radar detector all of a sudden started screaming when he was only a couple hundred feet from me, I called it Vehicular Profiling... lol... I've never been pulled over. A lot of that is luck... and caution in the right places.
Don't drive it like you stole it in traffic, especially as somebody will phone it in and you will get pulled over. If you're going to stretch it out, or see how much rubber you can fry off, find a deserted piece of road somewhere....
Radar Detector = $$ for the Province or Municipality here in Ont :cool:

• Haha
Reactions: Cobravenomous
About the "cost" question I did a little research and instead of being a d-ck a good answer for it is to counter ask "why do you want to know"? or ask them what they do for a living.

If the guy seems like the jealous prick a good answer is to say you stole it.
Its very simple just say "enough" hahahah

Reactions: Kerf
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.