Feb 11, 2019
VetteCoins
I was thinking of just how fast things can happen sometimes and low and behold....
One morning this past July as I was on my way to work I happened to have just such an encounter.

About 15 minutes into my 1 hr and 10 minute daily commute it was a bit foggy at about 5:30 am.
1.jpg

Just crusing along at a buck ten, thinking about the days work task assignments for my crew.
1.jpg

Travelling at 110km/hr we cover ground at a rate of about 100' per second
3.jpg

As I caught a glimpse of something out of the corner of my eye
4.jpg

What decision will it make? Go or no Go?
5.jpg

So go it was...one more second...this isn't going to end well... I hit the brakes...
6.jpg

... and prepared for impact, just at that moment in time, it stumbled...now what? will I go airborne?
7.jpg

As the moose fell, I was able to swerve just enough to get around it without running it over it. As I looked in my rearview, it was trotting back across the road.
8.jpg

Here it is in real time.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 14
Wow Don, way too close for comfort
Yes sir. Happened again a couple weeks later on the TCH west of Clarenville...Pitch black and I caught sight of one in full flight comming right at me from the left...I managed to get stopped in time for it to cross in front of me and out of view. 2 seconds later it crosses back in front of me again...I gues as soon as it hit the shoulder it did a 180...Bastards.

And I spent 16 days in hunting for a moose this fall and never laid eyes on one. Thats how it always goes.

• Haha
Reactions: Black 03 Z06
I was thinking of just how fast things can happen sometimes and low and behold....
One morning this past July as I was on my way to work I happened to have just such an encounter.

About 15 minutes into my 1 hr and 10 minute daily commute it was a bit foggy at about 5:30 am.
View attachment 75727

Just crusing along at a buck ten, thinking about the days work task assignments for my crew.
View attachment 75727

Travelling at 110km/hr we cover ground at a rate of about 100' per second
View attachment 75729

As I caught a glimpse of something out of the corner of my eye
View attachment 75731

What decision will it make? Go or no Go?
View attachment 75732

So go it was...one more second...this isn't going to end well... I hit the brakes...
View attachment 75733

... and prepared for impact, just at that moment in time, it stumbled...now what? will I go airborne?
View attachment 75734

As the moose fell, I was able to swerve just enough to get around it without running it over it. As I looked in my rearview, it was trotting back across the road.
View attachment 75735

Here it is in real time.
View attachment 75736
You were extremely lucky Don. As I'm sure you are well aware, moose and vehicle rarely result in a happy ending. I have had a couple close ones as well.

It sure makes you think. i.e. at 100FPS it only takes 1/10 of a second to cross fully onto the oncoming lane.
in less than the blink of an eye any drive can go from enjoyable to a disaster... and yet we have all sorts of things
that some people to do while driving. Not sayin you were doing anything wrong Don, glad you missed him. Just
carpin about some of the younger drivers we see texting ,phoning, no turn signals, improper turns and lane changes.
I find it simply stupid that new car reviews often spend more time fawning over the gizmos and gadgets than the actual performance characteristics of a vehicle..... There I've vented.

... this kinda stuff is an experience to say the least ...

Here's a throw-back I posted on CCF from my Corvette while
at the 2018 Ponoka Meet & Greet ...
I had the PDR running for our Run to Gull Lake ...
it'll happen at about the 22 second mark.
I attribute my initial reaction of letting off the accelerator
being only 6 weeks back from Spring Mountain after being shown
how the Engine can slow the Corvette down a tad without braking.
I could'a swore I hit the damn thing though.
Click link below, enjoy and don't blink :Woot:

SN3-waldo 2018 throw-back link

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: OL Yeller
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.