It might be more because we do not Jeff...not as often anyway..And maybe that's just me. I'm sort of making an assumption that you haven't done a burnout with your Corvette. And in all honesty, I haven't with my C7 either. I did a couple of times with my C6 and I owned a 340 Duster way back in 72 and it was not uncommon for me to burn a set of tires to nothing in one night. Of course back then I also use to brake stand my parents Plymouth Fury.... lol.... Not to mention the local backwoods Nova Scotia police who use to give us tickets for burnouts and charge us by how many feet of rubber were on the asphalt... both sides....That and the cost of transmissions taught me a bit of a lesson.

But I digress.....Further to topic, the C7 Corvette hooks up amazingly well. You can floor the gas, dump the clutch and spin the tires but we hook up quick and take off like a shot. If you don't know what you're doing and have happened to have squiggled sideways a bit before you hooked up, you can find yourself headed for the tulies or the trees really quick too. (check out some of the youtubes) Most of the major burnouts you see, whether it's Camaros, Corvettes or whatever, are brake assisted. With an automatic (which most Camaros I know of are) it's easy. Foot on the brake, foot on the gas. Get on the gas and feather the brake to either keep yourself in one place while the tires spin, or let yourself creep forward without totally letting it go... With a manual tranny it's a bit more of a synchronization challenge unless you have three legs....(and no. that one doesn't count).... With a manual you have to dump the clutch and get the tires spinning and immediately get on the brake enough with your left foot to keep her from hooking up and going.... Little easier with the extra 200 ponies that Derek has to do that ;)... ... But....with all that, a good burnout makes a mess as well. Now you have melted rubber to pick off the wheel wells and sometimes off the paint.... It smells up your car for a few days.... and you will need to buy tires way more often.... So my recommendation is find an empty parking lot somewhere and experiment. Then you will both know what to expect and what you can or cannot do with burnouts and hole shots.... As for we cannot, here is a smoking tire of a somewhat irritating guy but he does know how to do a burnout....

In my younger years I was constantly changing tires, I also had no fear.
My biggest concern now is taking off sideways, loosing control and ending in a ditch..
With that said, the first thing I do this spring is a burnout. May as well try those extra ponies at least once...
You might wanna find a Walmart parking lot at about 2 in the morning and let her rip.

Reactions: Rick9456
If you can find a private lot and get permission it will be best. One away from civilization is better still......

I think Jeff's tire size is front: P245/40R18 rear: P285/35R19.
There’s a huge lot that belongs to a trucking company near the top gear car wash not far from my parents place that all the tuner guys go to. They’ve been ripping that lot up for years. I spun my STI a few times there but have no interest in spinning my Vette. I’ll sit back and watch though.

Reactions: Rick9456
Its a different mind set. I think demographics sets us apart and the cost of the vehicle plus cost of tires. When in my 20's and I had a 71 Demon 340, there were few lights that I didn't smoke em when I took off. A brake stand in that car would create enough smoke to clog an intersection. What fun.
Watch the videos on the guys with the muscle cars going sideways on the street plus listen to what the instructors at Ron Fellows driving school, then factor in our age. Does that explain it?

I think I had 22 miles on my 17 Z06 when I dumped the clutch and roasted through 1st and 2nd gear with the TC off. I didn't use the break.. but easily could have. Plenty of time with that car.
Now with that said, I wanted to get a feel of me controlling the car with no Nannies. The car is controllable but close to the hook up point at the top of 2nd early part of 3rd you better be in good shape and paying attention as your going 130+ KPH. Not something I recommend to do often. I've never done it again and likely never will. My car has had some hard takeoffs but I never dump the clutch unless the car is rolling and the traction control is normally on. Really it's just too sketchy to take it off. There's no question you will crash at some point and it's likely sooner than later. Normally if I'm going to take off hard the car is pointed straight and I just roll it and hammer the throttle and start shifting as fast as I can. This is only fun on good clean asphalt. On streets and parking lots you will sandblast your paint and possibly trick the nannies on that tiny bit of sand you dont see. You will then possibly in some of Mike work photos.
To do a standing burnout is fun but hell without the line lock you know your rear brakes are being eaten quick. I've got the CC brakes and the replacement cost is pretty significant. Tires... I am far too lazy to even take the car in for tires let alone want to fork out $1400.00 every second weekend.

That being said I beat my Camaros like rented sledge hammers and roasted the tires at every opportunity. Now today is a different story with Camaros as these things have ludicrous power now compared to the slightly tweaked cars I had in the late 70s and early 80s. So things for me anyway were way easier to keep in control with the Camaro. Ya sounds dumb but I had to drive and work that car to get it to do a good no brake burnout or power slide a corner. (I think thats call drifting now) They always did great donuts. You guys could do all of that with little to no effort in your Corvettes back then.

Now today...the playing field is much more even. I really think today the demographic is the main difference as said above.

So.... any of you guys who wants to play with your Corvette let me know. I have a barely used set of 285x19 and 335x20 Pilot Sports run flats with some cracks (refer to other thread) you can have free.

I would be more than happy to take the video while you fry these babys off.

Jeffy wake up....this is your big chance to become a true legend. You could put them on the Camaro as they may not fit on your Corvette....or maybe they will. :Biggrin:

My vote is that Corvettes can't do burnouts. :rofl:

Here is my friend in his manual transmission Z06 he bought last summer.

And one with his procharged Stingray the summer before :rofl:

The Camaro people around here are pretty boring. It's the Mustang crowd that gets up to the shenanigans and seem to have the fun with their cars around here. As other's have mentioned, I think it's just the thought of all the different components taking the beating in a Corvette as it's not the typical set up with the torque tube, transmission and diff glued together that can crack, independent suspension with all the links that keep the tires pointed straight, etc. Where when I had my 66 BBC Chevelle (my noise maker), that thing would see 6,000 rpm in an instant without me thinking twice about it because it was a well built motor with a strong 4-speed spinning the tires through a solid axle rear end. Pretty basic with not much to break and the tires were cheap, so it was worry free fun.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.