Jul 12, 2018
Richmond, BC
VetteCoins
Car
2005 C6 Z51 6 spd
Province
BC
I got my Hooker Blackheart axle back exhaust yesterday, which was very distracting, so went about installing it. There were a couple very helpful thread on corvetteforum.com:

Here's the box.
lnKRpB4GMss_gQJhP77_u-gedcpmSptke-VawgqzHx4Mq3tZ-g8YYYbplYjYz-NNjmWDdbLvyl7-QlGw2hZFaeUWS_8FDvG-ycnaVys-OqdUbDaMhx3PiABZe4JpENGBj91P5pMgegaln_-8hSMLOS3H532xQRgETXmeoanvBGqZl3jeIn4U_ipLRsfeTqEIurXogLtIQVTD2fl5u41GJtHgfJbRIg7TYNQ0UL6z6qD5lpZlepj3fX8UvYqccHO11L1K0SME-EV3lD0bO6eYUtESpruj1j1sSZwKggrKs-LONeRNiuGPP0CmdQNxQU8W-DSGSLglJ6dqIYWVjs9BU70DCaFTLyD7_Pd7-p7DiEgpLln5W5c6welZmaH0Nmn1VYHFiPJsizFTuRMm7hGeqHao3Y-0C1Q6JcFNJL8woMfsnC_6hnbmzPfNFPs1f8K94OkhtM-CVgYrbGB-wCmarZpm_ZMPJyuHHd8OGFUHUH2SmPOTdGZEufU2NkGdMAN90_6BCyo2IVo6hJmWr7wACWM7SCM0gvnVEzp7gQHNWkhDD5h4E0Xd1SA7wK9ZEWHaO20znK_Lbvi_O3ep2z9uhMn4WqbihPrRX7YLjjusVqwglhjgV-oyfv_PwZ89I3g=w1418-h1063-no

All the parts. Muffler, axle pipe, clamps, and Hooker plate.
lcsFF5LhZDdi2QYGnhJZ7fU8d1bSr05pux7iy9Gkf0tUX55q8QQOU5L7xNtv49X5YdO7r9TRMz6VO-f2AEYPaGmyu3owTSAsiBbYkmNirLTRrCGpdFChPEMMz7OlMqoZIGDramxNpwd_sRxd3R2ubOlcQxTr5OwZyTJYApb1gkzgUvTva_-PRfOriOxEZkA3zEOMAL6nOroV6LBW3Orn3MJco4xw7kboyblB30JLFfrnom08ndHo5TietKGeWHeWa-kff21TBnEd8Nd3Q2q7OX_to1uwa5I-I3-eXRtTHowdfjwjdd2Q-EkAnhErUk0r0EFyi47Kz8OCiCacmbWWv5S9H3Wddv-pdW4sTDA2Kw3MlkK1BVxBHD1nwbaCylDi7waD4DNFawh2Un8z1meLbNwihbViJiFjhpO6FThF-iQU-_wH0Ja2CktKbbkHLpWSdAKfYbKbrrHSlDAVy-YYQdPg2wDHA5ux2yPqDRe4BdfnJjec1p9gOPlcCugN8HqWkGwEtxj-m3RNo3X9fjTGOtrgjoVlUKAkahggtB8n6GUrLvNE58IoLWOF6e3sGflTJ7WEsEOFkQfZxy7oNmRPWLYLCBMvH3bzKQICh7JKonCyI8YMOc2fm4DRdDfgCfM=w798-h1063-no

Installed, with the four 4" chrome exhaust tips. The Hooker plate isn't installed in this pic, but I've since installed it as it's a nice piece of cut stainless, plus it connect the mufflers together for added rigidity. I don't know if I want to drive around a red Corvette with a sign that Hooker on the back, so we'll see how that goes. :) There's a good chance I won't put the stickers on the car.
ETrXHaIv5H7Xj_UgX__VcUNOJQMJnE4Oj5XNP64KKz5nqIOQngs6Eqm-Rz0HTXRWwZ6Sxf6DYcDclvRFfhgCO6rFneN_8hPGRuTi5NVM8P1kD342lMHJ9pwcRsCz2m-Fx8BS9e5fAKs6SRB1ornPnuyMd8nerULF_rAvmaiCgswcjvkW4GPqkbvNxACX7HRBRwtj9eikhTxm7ZHgE_GHQuEqFYupLrQav46mQZ9mxEWkP19NETmi-g1QFa-TgDTtkq51DA0qammBgtUiDL3GQ_d12gRhOGnRbIyILs6J9NG_RZtN9zIJpCZgS_d0EniHdmHSZBle_Vp6CljqDcWqChV2OJ2cWlq_FDWjfQE_Vsxou09_DBbeVUNaYrr5GRhP_0pb5C3YMLBrIoMm5B3qasxzehdYzzfCVPTAl9F5JwRl9jUZOXntcZ9zDMYMqORimp9ud6y3ppDapu-Jc-_pHp-qKN4OTzIpiK8H6nQTOvIH6EI3YVX5WmxoZjucdpeKBmI5ck6XfCokgqNKA0sj2qFLD8hjPIt0cNhEMf59aZ7YPWK58JTQEdIF7pY92kCDZEjbanUlxb-DUt-3xW9i-e_AqhKF3SRu3ksPp17jEOaIFzqgBpCiB5k2tfADeGk=w1418-h1063-no

It came with printed instructions, and Holly Performance (Hooker) also has installation instructions on their website, which documents both removal of the old system and install. Super Chevy Magazine also had a nice write up detailing the exhaust and the install. The removal of the stock exhaust and install of the Blackheart went fairly smooth, and was about what I expected from the installation instructions and online How Tos. The stock exhaust came off fairly easy. The Blackheart went on fairly easy as well, although I had to expand the fittings on the muffler to get the axle pipes to slide in, and then when it was loose fitted on the car, the axle pipes would fall out of the mufflers, so I ended up pushing them into the mufflers, tightening them, attaching the mid pipe to the axle pipes, loosening the axle pipes from the mufflers to I could push the pipes back enough to get enough clearance to fit the mid pipe back to the cats, and then tighten everything.

I ordered it from TDot Performance with free shipping in Canada, and 10% off labour day sale which was a nice bonus. I had been looking at various US vendors and do a border pick up, but the price savings with the sale made this cost about the same presuming Canada Customs charged tax while importing. Customer service was excellent, I would recommend TDot, and would order from them again. It's a special order item which they don't keep in stock, so I emailed them before purchasing to confirm what a purchase would look like, they got back to me quickly and said it would take about 10-15 business days processing time since they have order the exhaust from Holly after I place my order, and their receival time is dependant on Holly's supply. Soon after purchasing they emailed me to confirm the special order details, and that I was fine with the 10-15 business day processing. I ordered it on Aug. 30, TDot shipped it to me on Sept. 7, and I received it on Sept. 13, 2 weeks from the day of ordering, which was great turn around time.

The sound is great, just like advertised, with a deep muscle car tone, and minimal to no drone. There is no low RPM drone/resonance around 1000-1500 rpm, just a nice deep tone. It will take some time to break in, so am anticipating that, and won't jump to conclusions. There is a resonance at about 2000 RPM in a very narrow RPM range, which was noted in other reviews as part of the tone that will change in break in I've only driven it last night after I finished the install, and then again today with a mix of city cruising, a couple spirited accelerations, highway cruising, and a couple on ramp accelerations, but I thought I heard the sound improving just on that drive. Today I noticed that as the exhaust warms up, the tone mellows, including the 2000 RPM resonance. I'll report back as I put some miles on it, but here's a short video at idle for now.

Ian

Last edited by a moderator:
I got my Hooker Blackheart axle back exhaust yesterday, which was very distracting, so went about installing it. There were a couple very helpful thread on corvetteforum.com: First Impressions of Hooker Blackheart Axle Back Exhaust and Hooker Blackheart Axle Back Consensus.

Here's the box.
lnKRpB4GMss_gQJhP77_u-gedcpmSptke-VawgqzHx4Mq3tZ-g8YYYbplYjYz-NNjmWDdbLvyl7-QlGw2hZFaeUWS_8FDvG-ycnaVys-OqdUbDaMhx3PiABZe4JpENGBj91P5pMgegaln_-8hSMLOS3H532xQRgETXmeoanvBGqZl3jeIn4U_ipLRsfeTqEIurXogLtIQVTD2fl5u41GJtHgfJbRIg7TYNQ0UL6z6qD5lpZlepj3fX8UvYqccHO11L1K0SME-EV3lD0bO6eYUtESpruj1j1sSZwKggrKs-LONeRNiuGPP0CmdQNxQU8W-DSGSLglJ6dqIYWVjs9BU70DCaFTLyD7_Pd7-p7DiEgpLln5W5c6welZmaH0Nmn1VYHFiPJsizFTuRMm7hGeqHao3Y-0C1Q6JcFNJL8woMfsnC_6hnbmzPfNFPs1f8K94OkhtM-CVgYrbGB-wCmarZpm_ZMPJyuHHd8OGFUHUH2SmPOTdGZEufU2NkGdMAN90_6BCyo2IVo6hJmWr7wACWM7SCM0gvnVEzp7gQHNWkhDD5h4E0Xd1SA7wK9ZEWHaO20znK_Lbvi_O3ep2z9uhMn4WqbihPrRX7YLjjusVqwglhjgV-oyfv_PwZ89I3g=w1418-h1063-no

All the parts. Muffler, axle pipe, clamps, and Hooker plate.
lcsFF5LhZDdi2QYGnhJZ7fU8d1bSr05pux7iy9Gkf0tUX55q8QQOU5L7xNtv49X5YdO7r9TRMz6VO-f2AEYPaGmyu3owTSAsiBbYkmNirLTRrCGpdFChPEMMz7OlMqoZIGDramxNpwd_sRxd3R2ubOlcQxTr5OwZyTJYApb1gkzgUvTva_-PRfOriOxEZkA3zEOMAL6nOroV6LBW3Orn3MJco4xw7kboyblB30JLFfrnom08ndHo5TietKGeWHeWa-kff21TBnEd8Nd3Q2q7OX_to1uwa5I-I3-eXRtTHowdfjwjdd2Q-EkAnhErUk0r0EFyi47Kz8OCiCacmbWWv5S9H3Wddv-pdW4sTDA2Kw3MlkK1BVxBHD1nwbaCylDi7waD4DNFawh2Un8z1meLbNwihbViJiFjhpO6FThF-iQU-_wH0Ja2CktKbbkHLpWSdAKfYbKbrrHSlDAVy-YYQdPg2wDHA5ux2yPqDRe4BdfnJjec1p9gOPlcCugN8HqWkGwEtxj-m3RNo3X9fjTGOtrgjoVlUKAkahggtB8n6GUrLvNE58IoLWOF6e3sGflTJ7WEsEOFkQfZxy7oNmRPWLYLCBMvH3bzKQICh7JKonCyI8YMOc2fm4DRdDfgCfM=w798-h1063-no

Installed, with the four 4" chrome exhaust tips. The Hooker plate isn't installed in this pic, but I've since installed it as it's a nice piece of cut stainless, plus it connect the mufflers together for added rigidity. I don't know if I want to drive around a red Corvette with a sign that Hooker on the back, so we'll see how that goes. :) There's a good chance I won't put the stickers on the car.
ETrXHaIv5H7Xj_UgX__VcUNOJQMJnE4Oj5XNP64KKz5nqIOQngs6Eqm-Rz0HTXRWwZ6Sxf6DYcDclvRFfhgCO6rFneN_8hPGRuTi5NVM8P1kD342lMHJ9pwcRsCz2m-Fx8BS9e5fAKs6SRB1ornPnuyMd8nerULF_rAvmaiCgswcjvkW4GPqkbvNxACX7HRBRwtj9eikhTxm7ZHgE_GHQuEqFYupLrQav46mQZ9mxEWkP19NETmi-g1QFa-TgDTtkq51DA0qammBgtUiDL3GQ_d12gRhOGnRbIyILs6J9NG_RZtN9zIJpCZgS_d0EniHdmHSZBle_Vp6CljqDcWqChV2OJ2cWlq_FDWjfQE_Vsxou09_DBbeVUNaYrr5GRhP_0pb5C3YMLBrIoMm5B3qasxzehdYzzfCVPTAl9F5JwRl9jUZOXntcZ9zDMYMqORimp9ud6y3ppDapu-Jc-_pHp-qKN4OTzIpiK8H6nQTOvIH6EI3YVX5WmxoZjucdpeKBmI5ck6XfCokgqNKA0sj2qFLD8hjPIt0cNhEMf59aZ7YPWK58JTQEdIF7pY92kCDZEjbanUlxb-DUt-3xW9i-e_AqhKF3SRu3ksPp17jEOaIFzqgBpCiB5k2tfADeGk=w1418-h1063-no

It came with printed instructions, and Holly Performance (Hooker) also has installation instructions on their website, which documents both removal of the old system and install. Super Chevy Magazine also had a nice write up detailing the exhaust and the install. The removal of the stock exhaust and install of the Blackheart went fairly smooth, and was about what I expected from the installation instructions and online How Tos. The stock exhaust came off fairly easy. The Blackheart went on fairly easy as well, although I had to expand the fittings on the muffler to get the axle pipes to slide in, and then when it was loose fitted on the car, the axle pipes would fall out of the mufflers, so I ended up pushing them into the mufflers, tightening them, attaching the mid pipe to the axle pipes, loosening the axle pipes from the mufflers to I could push the pipes back enough to get enough clearance to fit the mid pipe back to the cats, and then tighten everything.

I ordered it from TDot Performance with free shipping in Canada, and 10% off labour day sale which was a nice bonus. I had been looking at various US vendors and do a border pick up, but the price savings with the sale made this cost about the same presuming Canada Customs charged tax while importing. Customer service was excellent, I would recommend TDot, and would order from them again. It's a special order item which they don't keep in stock, so I emailed them before purchasing to confirm what a purchase would look like, they got back to me quickly and said it would take about 10-15 business days processing time since they have order the exhaust from Holly after I place my order, and their receival time is dependant on Holly's supply. Soon after purchasing they emailed me to confirm the special order details, and that I was fine with the 10-15 business day processing. I ordered it on Aug. 30, TDot shipped it to me on Sept. 7, and I received it on Sept. 13, 2 weeks from the day of ordering, which was great turn around time.

The sound is great, just like advertised, with a deep muscle car tone, and minimal to no drone. There is no low RPM drone/resonance around 1000-1500 rpm, just a nice deep tone. It will take some time to break in, so am anticipating that, and won't jump to conclusions. There is a resonance at about 2000 RPM in a very narrow RPM range, which was noted in other reviews as part of the tone that will change in break in I've only driven it last night after I finished the install, and then again today with a mix of city cruising, a couple spirited accelerations, highway cruising, and a couple on ramp accelerations, but I thought I heard the sound improving just on that drive. Today I noticed that as the exhaust warms up, the tone mellows, including the 2000 RPM resonance. I'll report back as I put some miles on it, but here's a short video at idle for now.

Ian
Ian
Sounds good at idle nice rumble. I am looking for mufflers that sound like that. As I have a 07 Z51 automatic with long tube headers, has anyone else out there tried this set that has an auto and long tubes that has these Hooker Blackhearts and has no drone. Hate that!

Ian..
Great job....
Four mufflers?? That’s different.
I can’t wait to hear it.
Graham
Thanks! It was more laying on concrete than I should have done, so next time I should get some cardboard or invest in a creeper.

The 4 mufflers do make for an interesting and different look. I think the second muffler coming off of the bended pipe from the main inlet pipe is a resonator, so would kind of be like having an inline resonator before the mufflers which is pretty common on lots of cars.

Reactions: nascar03
Ian
Sounds good at idle nice rumble. I am looking for mufflers that sound like that. As I have a 07 Z51 automatic with long tube headers, has anyone else out there tried this set that has an auto and long tubes that has these Hooker Blackhearts and has no drone. Hate that!
Wayne, the tone is definitely deep, even deeper in a good way than I expected, and definitely deeper than Corsa, which are known for not being deep. There are a couple A6s in the reviews, check post 51 and successive posts from OlyC6, but I'm not sure about the long tube header and A6 combo. Also, they make an 2 mode version of the exhaust linked here. With a non NPP car, you could just run the valves open or closed, or add a retro control kit which adds NPP control and a "mild to wild" switch to non NPP cars.

From your previous posts, and your bad drone experience with the B&Bs, I think the Corsa Sport or even the Corsa Touring (Touring is slightly louder than stock) might be your best bet, as all roads seem to lead to Corsa in that almost all people who get a Corsa keep it, and those who have other systems and aren't happy often end up with a Corsa. They are expensive, even more expensive in Canada, which is a drawback. Factory NPP is a cheaper option since you can wedge the valves open to start, and if they drone or you want adjustability, you can connect them to a switch. The one drawback is with a 2005-2007 the only NPP that will work by bolt on is a 2008, since they changed the mid pipe in 2009.

I thought about going NPP for a while, and looked around for used mufflers, but couldn't find anything local, and what I found online wasn't available for shipping or wasn't worth the cost, but if you took your time you might find the right deal. I don't yout setup since you have headers, if they are connected to the stock or an aftermarket mid pipe? Mid pipes tend to improve the sound, and quiet some of the burbling and popping, so since you already have headers it might make sense to consider a mid pipe along with mufflers if it gave you the option of 2009-2013 mufflers.

Feel free to message me further if you have more questions or want to explore ideas.

Reactions: turbozig
Wayne, the tone is definitely deep, even deeper in a good way than I expected, and definitely deeper than Corsa, which are known for not being deep. There are a couple A6s in the reviews, check post 51 and successive posts from OlyC6, but I'm not sure about the long tube header and A6 combo. Also, they make an 2 mode version of the exhaust linked here. With a non NPP car, you could just run the valves open or closed, or add a retro control kit which adds NPP control and a "mild to wild" switch to non NPP cars.

From your previous posts, and your bad drone experience with the B&Bs, I think the Corsa Sport or even the Corsa Touring (Touring is slightly louder than stock) might be your best bet, as all roads seem to lead to Corsa in that almost all people who get a Corsa keep it, and those who have other systems and aren't happy often end up with a Corsa. They are expensive, even more expensive in Canada, which is a drawback. Factory NPP is a cheaper option since you can wedge the valves open to start, and if they drone or you want adjustability, you can connect them to a switch. The one drawback is with a 2005-2007 the only NPP that will work by bolt on is a 2008, since they changed the mid pipe in 2009.

I thought about going NPP for a while, and looked around for used mufflers, but couldn't find anything local, and what I found online wasn't available for shipping or wasn't worth the cost, but if you took your time you might find the right deal. I don't yout setup since you have headers, if they are connected to the stock or an aftermarket mid pipe? Mid pipes tend to improve the sound, and quiet some of the burbling and popping, so since you already have headers it might make sense to consider a mid pipe along with mufflers if it gave you the option of 2009-2013 mufflers.

Feel free to message me further if you have more questions or want to explore ideas.

Ian

Thanks for all the great info. I have sent a message to the tech people at Holley asking their opinion if this
system will work on my car with little to no drone or what they suggest. Just sent it yesterday so I am guessing it will be Tuesday before I hear anything. I am thinking the resonators should take care of the drone. Me like anyone else I don't want to spend $800 if it doesn't work. Will let you know when I hear anything.

Thanks
Wayne B.

I have a couple of HOOKER T-shirts
One of them is
NO WIFE
NO GIRLFRIEND
NO STD'S
I NEED A HOOKER

Mind you, this was from a brewery down in Connecticut.
The Missus might not approve

Ian

Thanks for all the great info. I have sent a message to the tech people at Holley asking their opinion if this
system will work on my car with little to no drone or what they suggest. Just sent it yesterday so I am guessing it will be Tuesday before I hear anything. I am thinking the resonators should take care of the drone. Me like anyone else I don't want to spend $800 if it doesn't work. Will let you know when I hear anything.

Thanks
Wayne B.
Wayne, sound tone quality and drone are so relative, it's so hard to recommend to you specifically, but happy to help with whatever information I can.

Update 1: one week in, about 300 KM of city and highway driving, and things are heading in the right direction. They rumble deep on cold start but settle down nicely once warmed up. There is still a 2000 RPM resonance but it's a very narrow window of about 1900-2100 which I'm only in briefly, and it goes away once they warm up. Highway cruise in 5th and 6th gear is starting to settling down with no drone. Idle is starting to settle down, and I can hear the engine mechanical and intake noise. When on it and into the high RPM (only able to brush 5000 RPM a couple times on highway on ramp pulls) it's controlled, with limited boom or bark, no high pitched stuff, just a nice growl.

Update 1: one week in, about 300 KM of city and highway driving, and things are heading in the right direction. They rumble deep on cold start but settle down nicely once warmed up. There is still a 2000 RPM resonance but it's a very narrow window of about 1900-2100 which I'm only in briefly, and it goes away once they warm up. Highway cruise in 5th and 6th gear is starting to settling down with no drone. Idle is starting to settle down, and I can hear the engine mechanical and intake noise. When on it and into the high RPM (only able to brush 5000 RPM a couple times on highway on ramp pulls) it's controlled, with limited boom or bark, no high pitched stuff, just a nice growl.
So far sounds like your happy. I wish you had an auto trany so I would know exactly how it would be on mine. Looking forward to more updates.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.