Jul 28, 2019
VetteCoins
Car
1988 Corvette
Province
NS
I don't heat with wood or anything like that, but my lot is 1.7 acres and about 1-1.3 of it is old growth forest. When we built the house, we wanted to leave as much of the yard as possible in it's natural state.

But in saying that, there's lots of standing dead wood and deadwood on the ground. It doesn't help that wind storms will often break off "healthy" trees as well.

So, like any homeowner with a little bit of land, I've got a chainsaw. Nothing crazy, just a nice little Stihl MS170. Does the jobs I need it to.

But, there once was a time where a 300-400- or even a 500 LB log was a “do-able” lift into the sawbuck for me.

However, time, age and injuries have severely limited me. Cutting felled trees on the ground is a sure way to roach a chain in short order and my back won't take bending over to cut a low log very long.

Unfortunately, log jacks won't work for my either, just too low for my back to take it for very long. That also means the "cut 90% through and roll the log over to finish the cut" technique won't work either. Again, the bending is the problem, my back just can't take it.

So into the shop, some 1" square tube, some wheels from a long dead snowblower, some work with the mig and:

Name:  fr_4506_size880.jpg Views: 0 Size:  224.4 KB

It works on the lever/pivot principle in order to lift a log. Much nicer to the ol' back instead of the brute force lift method and easily managed by a single person. The bottom piece slides under the log, or you can roll the log on. Then I can grab the upright piece and just lean back with my weight. I stand on the tires if it’s really heavy and that gives my weight extra leverage. When I do that, the whole rig pivots around the wheels and the log is lifted up fairly easily:

Name:  fr_4507_size880.jpg Views: 0 Size:  224.3 KB

Once it's in this position, the cargo strap gets cinched around the log so it won't fall off to the left or right. The log is right at the height I need to cut comfortably. Roughly about 3 feet off the ground. Lifting an 8 foot log that's 12+ Inches diameter is pretty easy and puts no strain at all on my bad back. My weight and Mr Archimedes does all the hard work.

You do have to go back and forth cutting the sides off to burning length (or the weight will unbalance the stand), but it's much easier than trying to cut in a bent over position and the saw chain never even comes close to hitting dirt or rocks.

I used squaring magnets and spirit levels when building it, but I didn't worry too much about square as long as it was close. You can see a strut here or there that isn't exactly square/plumb, but it doesn't negatively effect anything.

It's not perfect, but it works OK for a first try at building one.

Some things I need to incorporate:

1. A chain to hold the log down instead of the cargo strap. The ratchet strap works well enough, it just doesn't have the strength to hold a log if it gets unbalanced enough to want to fall off. One log built up enough momentum (doesn't take much distance when it weighs in the 400-600 lb range) to rip the strap in half. Chain and a couple cinch hooks will fix that.

2. the part where the log sits when it's upright needs some "teeth". since the 1" square stock is flat and smooth under the log, the chainsaw tends to try and pull the side you are cutting towards you. this means the log tends to "rotate" on the stand. I'll just cut some triangle bits out of some 1/4" flat stock I have lying around and weld that to the flat pieces. They should dig into the log enough to keep it from sliding around while cutting.

Once I get it sorted, a coat of paint will keep away the rusties. Probably an orange or yellow so it's high vis.

You could use it to dolly around logs like a hand truck. but it's only about 16-18" wide at the outside edges of the tires. So while it woudl be possible to shuttle logs around, it wouldn't be the best tool for that.

It's probably not the best rig for some people, but foe me it was just what the doctor ordered. Well, at least it is if I want to be able to keep cutting deadfalls and getting the lot cleared up. I thought I'd just throw up a couple pics in case it gives anyone else some ideas for something that might work for them.

Last edited:
"I used squaring magnets and spirit levels when building it"
Were those Bourbon or Cognac levels Tourmax?
Me thinks that is why you weren't too worried about it being square. LOL
Obviously the self-isolation has not dimmed your inventive mind

A few additions and some paint finishes it off. Then, test run time.

Take one log flat on the ground:

Line up the lifter/sawbuck:

Roll the log on/slide the lifter under:

Pull down on the "handle" section and:

Up she goes!

Throw the chain over the log and it locks into the receivers on either side. The receivers are just square tube large enough to let the chain slide through and a slot cut in their bottom so that the chain locks in when you try to pull it back through. I made it so the chain locks are on both ends, but I may switch to one fixed end and the other end the running end. Just to make locking in the chain easier.

Because it's on wheels, I was actually also able to rotate the whole thing 180 degrees to sit better on the uneven ground. Had I been stuck with the direction it was when I pivoted it up, it wouldn't have stayed up and it would have been very likely to tip over on me. The wheels meant I could easily find a level-ish spot to work.

A quick bit of work with the chainsaw and:

No muss, no fuss. No straining to drag the heavy logs around or fighting to get them up into a sawbuck. Just roll it on, lift it up, cut at a comfortable height and move on to the next log.

Whole thing worked out even better than I had hoped!

:)

Now I'm looking at it and I'm thinking I might put a chainsaw vice and small "table like" section on it. That woudl allow me to also use it as a field station to mount my chainsaw in should I need to fix something, sharpen the chain or just do some routine field maintenance. Throw in a small stool and working on the saw in the field will be a treat!

I may also look at putting a hitch on it so I can just clip it on to the hitch ball on my Argo and drag it along with me when I need to go further into the woods to cut something.....

Last edited:
I don't heat with wood or anything like that, but my lot is 1.7 acres and about 1-1.3 of it is old growth forest. When we built the house, we wanted to leave as much of the yard as possible in it's natural state.

But in saying that, there's lots of standing dead wood and deadwood on the ground. It doesn't help that wind storms will often break off "healthy" trees as well.

So, like any homeowner with a little bit of land, I've got a chainsaw. Nothing crazy, just a nice little Stihl MS170. Does the jobs I need it to.

But, there once was a time where a 300-400- or even a 500 LB log was a “do-able” lift into the sawbuck for me.

However, time, age and injuries have severely limited me. Cutting felled trees on the ground is a sure way to roach a chain in short order and my back won't take bending over to cut a low log very long.

Unfortunately, log jacks won't work for my either, just too low for my back to take it for very long. That also means the "cut 90% through and roll the log over to finish the cut" technique won't work either. Again, the bending is the problem, my back just can't take it.

So into the shop, some 1" square tube, some wheels from a long dead snowblower, some work with the mig and:

Name:  fr_4506_size880.jpg Views: 0 Size:  224.4 KB

It works on the lever/pivot principle in order to lift a log. Much nicer to the ol' back instead of the brute force lift method and easily managed by a single person. The bottom piece slides under the log, or you can roll the log on. Then I can grab the upright piece and just lean back with my weight. I stand on the tires if it’s really heavy and that gives my weight extra leverage. When I do that, the whole rig pivots around the wheels and the log is lifted up fairly easily:

Name:  fr_4507_size880.jpg Views: 0 Size:  224.3 KB

Once it's in this position, the cargo strap gets cinched around the log so it won't fall off to the left or right. The log is right at the height I need to cut comfortably. Roughly about 3 feet off the ground. Lifting an 8 foot log that's 12+ Inches diameter is pretty easy and puts no strain at all on my bad back. My weight and Mr Archimedes does all the hard work.

You do have to go back and forth cutting the sides off to burning length (or the weight will unbalance the stand), but it's much easier than trying to cut in a bent over position and the saw chain never even comes close to hitting dirt or rocks.

I used squaring magnets and spirit levels when building it, but I didn't worry too much about square as long as it was close. You can see a strut here or there that isn't exactly square/plumb, but it doesn't negatively effect anything.

It's not perfect, but it works OK for a first try at building one.

Some things I need to incorporate:

1. A chain to hold the log down instead of the cargo strap. The ratchet strap works well enough, it just doesn't have the strength to hold a log if it gets unbalanced enough to want to fall off. One log built up enough momentum (doesn't take much distance when it weighs in the 400-600 lb range) to rip the strap in half. Chain and a couple cinch hooks will fix that.

2. the part where the log sits when it's upright needs some "teeth". since the 1" square stock is flat and smooth under the log, the chainsaw tends to try and pull the side you are cutting towards you. this means the log tends to "rotate" on the stand. I'll just cut some triangle bits out of some 1/4" flat stock I have lying around and weld that to the flat pieces. They should dig into the log enough to keep it from sliding around while cutting.

Once I get it sorted, a coat of paint will keep away the rusties. Probably an orange or yellow so it's high vis.

You could use it to dolly around logs like a hand truck. but it's only about 16-18" wide at the outside edges of the tires. So while it woudl be possible to shuttle logs around, it wouldn't be the best tool for that.

It's probably not the best rig for some people, but foe me it was just what the doctor ordered. Well, at least it is if I want to be able to keep cutting deadfalls and getting the lot cleared up. I thought I'd just throw up a couple pics in case it gives anyone else some ideas for something that might work for them.
Great job! I am lucky if I can hammer a nail into a piece of wood. Some people are just good with theirs hands and minds.

• Agree
Reactions: vintageracer
Thanks for posting this Tourmax. I have a really bad back too. My own fault but too late now. Had a lot of fun wrecking it, but if I had it all to do over.... . Chain saw work is a killer for me as well. I bought a 60V electric chainsaw to cut down in weight from my gas saw. And I bought a little Kubota BX series tractor with a front end loader to lift EVERYTHING in the yard. You have inspired me to weld up a rig I can bolt to the bucket to do what your invention is doing. I am wondering if a small load binder from Princess Auto on the chain would really cinch the log down. Anyway, nice job, and thanks again.

Reactions: Rruuff Day
Thanks for posting this Tourmax. I have a really bad back too. My own fault but too late now. Had a lot of fun wrecking it, but if I had it all to do over.... . Chain saw work is a killer for me as well. I bought a 60V electric chainsaw to cut down in weight from my gas saw. And I bought a little Kubota BX series tractor with a front end loader to lift EVERYTHING in the yard. You have inspired me to weld up a rig I can bolt to the bucket to do what your invention is doing. I am wondering if a small load binder from Princess Auto on the chain would really cinch the log down. Anyway, nice job, and thanks again.
Load-binder would probably work well enough.

its a bit of overkill IMHO though. I made (essentially) a cinch hook for my chain, mainly because its what I had lying around, But also quick and simple to bind the log to the sawbuck. All I need the chain to do it catch the log should it cone unbalanced enough to try and flip off one side or the other. The “saw teeth” I added to my sawbuck keep the log from moving around, so the chain is just a nice safety against the log tipping off the sawbuck.

Depending on how you make your bucket attachment, a more solid way of holding the log might be necessary (ie: binder, cargo strap, etc.

Reactions: Bixter44
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.