Tony Gull

Casual User
Nov 16, 2015
St. Albert
VetteCoins
Car
2018 Z06
Hey all you knowledgeable Corvette guys, I'm looking to upgrade to an Holley cold air system that boosts power and torque. Is the under-hood mechanics in the 18 the same as a 2017? The intake system I want to buy says it's for 2015-17 and I assume they just haven't updated the ad. Of course I called them but he said "If you're confident that the intake systems are the same it will fit". Not any clearer to me with that answer so can anyone confirm that 17+18 are the same?

It should be the same 17-18 but the only place to know for sure is the dealer.
I’m getting the factory GM one installed next week. Yes they have one from GM that leaves no warranty questions or challenges later. They claim an increase of 10 HP for it. Some aftermarket ones I’ve seen advertised claim as high as 30 HP increase but most are more conservative 10 - 15 if I remember right.
You may want to check the factory cold air intake out if the expectation of power increase from the Holley is in the same range.

Reactions: Black 03 Z06
I read and watched video of testing aftermarket air intakes a while back. Zero gains of anything but noise for all of the ones tested on the dyno. I believe one of the Corvette engineers was involved in the show but can't find the link right now. I know they didn't test one from GM though.

I read and watched video of testing aftermarket air intakes a while back. Zero gains of anything but noise for all of the ones tested on the dyno. I believe one of the Corvette engineers was involved in the show but can't find the link right now. I know they didn't test one from GM though.

Hey Dan... A ram air intake (such as a Vararam) which forces air under pressure into the intake as you drive at least has the science behind a possible claim for more bolt-on power but I'm not sure there is even a ram air made for the C7. If your engine is starving for more air, then sure, but the stock intakes on the C7 are pretty dam efficient. Although some would argue, GM engineers have actually hit a lot of home runs with the C7. Vararam refers to their C7 CAI as drawing air from an increased air pressure zone (not a true ram air) but who knows. Theoretically cooler air is good but if you look at the intake point on the C7's they are not drawing air from any hot zones.... I've seen dyno graphs from manufacturers that show anywhere from zero gain to gynormously huge gains but I would have to be there and witness the runs in person to believe such gain. Vararam Snake Charmer claim for a C6 is up to 42 hp gain at the flywheel ( 37rwhp gain) and 3.5 to 4 second second improvement in the 1/4 mile...LMAO... Really! A 4 second gain in the 1/4 with a $ 500.00 investment.) ... As much as I believed them (not the 4 second gain though) when I was young and foolish and purchased one for my C6, I sold the car and the intake before I got it installed. I am older , no smarter, but marginally less trusting of manufacturer claims these days and can't (legally) use the HP i have, let alone more, so no plans for engine mods.... at least not yet. After my cruise to MITM along with @Rick9456 and his 694 hp C7 Z51, that may all change hahaha.

I remember watching Jay Leno and the chief of engineering for the boss Mustang discuss aftermarket air intakes for the new boss. They had a good chuckle about the claims from some aftermarket intakes. Truly amazing how much time, engineering and money is spent by OEM's getting maximum performance out of them.

Reactions: Rruuff Day
I remember watching Jay Leno and the chief of engineering for the boss Mustang discuss aftermarket air intakes for the new boss. They had a good chuckle about the claims from some aftermarket intakes. Truly amazing how much time, engineering and money is spent by OEM's getting maximum performance out of them.

True that but it is certainly a sign of the times... We are in the era of maximum performance from minimum displacement and reasonably priced for everyday drivers.... luxury, SUVs, even Hyundai and Kia.... I had a 1976 Datsun 280Z back in 1980 and at 170 hp in a car that weighed nothing, I had the fastest thing in the neighbourhood... lol...

Reactions: Dantanman
Eric the colder the air the more O2 per cubic foot or yard or inch... whatever engineering unit you prefer. So yes there is a power gain by finding cooler air. How much?? How long is a piece of string?
Depends on the temperature of the day, the speed, altitude, humidity, the alignment of Jupiter and Ganymede, the mood of the Dali Lama, what episode of Star Wars is currently playing ... etc.
The dyno is a benchmark done with conditions that can be manipulated including the computer recording the power.
I’m not expecting anything noticeable putting on the factory high flow intake as you are correct that plenty of good engineering went into providing the coldest unrestricted air flow that was practical to the engine during design. To improve this it would take a modification to a different path for the air. And that’s frankly not possible without a hole in the car or air being rammed up from underneath. Sure it’s possible that efficiency may be improved with different filter medium that GM didn’t want to use based on cost or potentially letting dirt into the engine if not properly maintained. They have no control over where we drive the cars so the warranty payout risk would just not make sense then.

Me... I just like the way it looks. :Biggrin:

I agree Derek. Cooler air is better air. If your air intake is sitting top dead center between the heads, then yes.... routing the intake to a cooler air zone does help... That it not the case with the C7....ot the C6 for that matter. Now. On the other hand.... If you just like the looks of an aftermarket rad CAI, then by all means.... It can't hurt .... :Biggrin:

There are no such thing as enough power....:Biggrin:. Jokes aside i agree with the fact that the stock intake system is more than adequate. Nowadays pretty much all performance cars have had their stock airboxes factory tuned. If anything just drop in a higher flowing oil free reusable filter.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread