Racer66

Casual User
Jan 21, 2015
Ottawa
VetteCoins
Car
2015 Stingray
Hi folks, Im going to be running a Race The Runway event in a couple of weeks ( individual top speed in a half mile) and was wondering who has used High Octane Fuel ⛽️ in the past. As an ex racer I know that I will not make more Hp and I fully understand what higher octane brings to the table. I am simply looking for those with experience playing with it in their Vettes. I am currently running Ultra 94 and have a friend looking into some 105 Race Fuel. Just want to get the MAX the car has to offer as it’s not too often that I get to take my wife for 3 rips like this without worrying about cops !!!!

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

Hi folks, Im going to be running a Race The Runway event in a couple of weeks ( individual top speed in a half mile) and was wondering who has used High Octane Fuel ⛽ in the past. As an ex racer I know that I will not make more Hp and I fully understand what higher octane brings to the table. I am simply looking for those with experience playing with it in their Vettes. I am currently running Ultra 94 and have a friend looking into some 105 Race Fuel. Just want to get the MAX the car has to offer as it’s not too often that I get to take my wife for 3 rips like this without worrying about cops !!!!

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

Hi Racer66:

As you have stated, you will not see any performance increase from a stock LT1 by using a higher than recommended octane fuel.

The fuel system ECU will only adjust timing, air requirements, etc. if using a lower octane or poor quality fuel and the effect is immediate. It has to be in order to protect the engine. It will not adjust for higher octane unless there are additional engine modifications, ie: increased compression, additional air intake volume, exhaust mods, etc. and, at that point, a specific engine "tune" is usually applied.

The LT1 is designed to reach peak efficiency and power on Top Tier 93 octane fuel containing less than 15% ethanol by volume. The Ultra 94 that you're using has up to 10% ethanol and is probably one of the better fuels that you can use in your car. Your best bet to achieve good results in a half mile run is to use fresh fuel, minimize weight, change your oil to the new Mobil 1 0W-40, Dexos 2 spec and maybe add 1 - 2 PSI to the tire pressures to reduce rolling resistance. Just my .02 cents, lots of differing opinions, don't take my word as gospel.

Good luck, be safe, have fun, sounds like it should be a blast.

Best regards
Ross

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Lush134 and Racer66
Sorry for the late reply.....

So I had 3 runs with the best being an 11.92 in the quarter mile and 216 kemp at the half mile! Not bad but was hoping for more. Had issues with launch control each time thus I spun the tires on each run. Practice launches on a quiet back road had been perfect. Turns out that I was not tromping on the gas hard enough to have it recognize that I wanted launch control to kick in. Hopefully I will have better luck next year....but it was still lots of fun. My step son in his Audi ran 196 so I will hold bragging rights for another year!!!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.