Oledawg

I'm New Here
Feb 26, 2022
VetteCoins
Car
Corvette 1977
Province
ON
My question is has anyone used synthetic oil in their C3, I’m not a big fan of synthetic oil, just curious on anyones input

Reactions: YFCvii
I use Mobil 1 as it was/is recommended for the ZZ383 that a friend and I dropped in a few years ago. If you have the original engine with high miles I would continue to run a high quality regular oil. Use a high quality filter like Wix, Napa etc.

• Agree
Reactions: Rruuff Day
I use Mobil 1 as it was/is recommended for the ZZ383 that a friend and I dropped in a few years ago. If you have the original engine with high miles I would continue to run a high quality regular oil. Use a high quality filter like Wix, Napa etc.
When I asked about this for older engines, I was also advised to keep running regular oil...synthetic I believe is thinner and can lead to issues if you have an older motor that hasn't used it previously. I did that as long as I had my C3...I've since had a C5 and currently a C7...the latter two are required to use Mobil/1 synthetic...so that's all they've been getting.

I know owners who swear by both in their original engines. If you stay with reg high quality oil change it and filter every season.
One thing to remember in these cars is that the original fuel connecting hoses were/are rubber. Ethanol in fuel will eat away at rubber which could eventually lead to a fire unless they were replaced. I use Shell premium as it has 0 ethanol. I think that Cdn Tire and COSTCO premium also has no ethanol.

Reactions: Paul C7 to C8
I know owners who swear by both in their original engines. If you stay with reg high quality oil change it and filter every season.
One thing to remember in these cars is that the original fuel connecting hoses were/are rubber. Ethanol in fuel will eat away at rubber which could eventually lead to a fire unless they were replaced. I use Shell premium as it has 0 ethanol. I think that Cdn Tire and COSTCO premium also has no ethanol.
Ethanol free is probably even more important, this is great advice! But in terms of oil; do what you're comfortable with. For me I've stuck to the dinosaur stuff as that's what it's run for 40 years; everything else in my garage is on synthetic.

Congrats on getting a C3. I have owned my 1979 4 spd with a built 30 over 355 since 2019. The previous owner had the engine built in the 2000s and he was using Royal Purple 10w30 when I bought it so I continued to use it up to my last oil change in the fall when my mechanic put Amsoil Signature 10w30. I haven't had any engine issues (knock on wood) and my mechanic doesn't see any issue with using it.

P.S. gdh is correct COSTCO premium is ethanol free that is what I have been using since 2019

When I asked about this for older engines, I was also advised to keep running regular oil...synthetic I believe is thinner and can lead to issues if you have an older motor that hasn't used it previously. I did that as long as I had my C3...I've since had a C5 and currently a C7...the latter two are required to use Mobil/1 synthetic...so that's all they've been getting.
Thanks for your info