Casual User
Sep 16, 2018
VetteCoins
Car
2019 Z06/07 3LZ
Province
SK
Hello everybody,

My name's Keven. I'm 27 and currently live in Prince Albert, SK. Just bought my first Vette this week after a couple terrible months of waiting on my custom order '19 Z06/07 ! She's a blast and will never regret that purchase ! I heard there were some Corvette events, maybe even a club, in Saskatoon. If one of the members want to point me into the right direction I'm not against a cruise.

That being said, having the Z07 package, I have the Cup 2's tires which are going to crack in storage this winter if I don't find a solution. I was wondering what people do, beside putting the car on blocks. Did you buy a separate set of cheap wheels/tires just for storage ?

Thanks !

Keven

Oh and there she is:
IMG_2030.JPG

Welcome to the forum Kev. Beautiful car, congratulations.

I store my Michelin PSS in the basement, they are mounted on CCW wheels so I just put the original wheels and tires back on. I am sure others on here will have solution for you, like it or not we are heading for "storage" season.

Again welcome to the CCF.

Reactions: YFCvii
Nice car Kevin and welcome. The tires should be OK over the winter if you inflate them to 40 pounds and don't move the car while the tires are frozen. I have heard on another forum that some people will park their cars with 16 inch square by 1 inch thick Styrofoam insulation squares under their tires to keep them from flat spotting. Interesting to hear what others suggest.
Bob

Welcome to the forum Keven. Sweet looking Z. There is a lot of history discussion on the Cup 2 tires and cracking. Some say don't move the car and some say they can crack anyway. Others change them out for the Pilot SS tire which cames on my Stingray and supposedly won't crack in the cold. My Vette Cave is heated so I don't worry about it anyway but as Bob mentioned, I am one of the guys that built 4 styrofoam pads that I park the tires on.

Winter wax.jpg

Welcome Keven.

That’s a great looking Z. You will enjoy the heck out of it. Plenty of guys in your area to cruise with as well. They will be chiming in here soon enough.
You SC2s are ok left on the car in cold temps as long as they are properly inflated as Bob mentioned and you do not move the car at all until they warm up naturally to more than 5c. That temperature is a debated value but the one I use. I personally do not drive the car below 10c so I have a bit of wiggle room. The tire topic is a hotly debated one so there is lots on this and other forums to read on it.
I assume your car will be sitting inside. My car sits in an unheated garage on thick rubber mats. I get no cracks in my tires over the winter. Just be sure and not move the car whatsoever when it’s near or below 0.
I did switch to PSS when the car was new and put the SC2s in storage but the cracking issue is the same for both tires. I know first hand as I have another set of PSS tires from my 13 and 15 Zs that did crack.
Many guys swap out the wheels and warm store the Michelins which is the for sure way to not get cracks. At $3000 for a set of SC2 it’s a pretty good bit of insurance as well.
With 3/32 of tread on a new SC2 and you having a month to “enjoy” the Z... might not be worth it for you this year. 😂
Just be aware your tires are very sketchy until you warm them up. You likely found this out already though. Also be careful on wet roads if you get caught in some rain. Especially on a cooler day. They are not terrible if it’s just wet as standard precautions are enough; but pooled water will wake you up pretty quick.
For fall to spring tires @flyboy999 has you covered as to what tires to put on if you want. He runs his Z all winter and loves it.

Anyway welcome again and enjoy CCF and your sweet new Z.

Derek.

Hello everybody,

My name's Keven. I'm 27 and currently live in Prince Albert, SK. Just bought my first Vette this week after a couple terrible months of waiting on my custom order '19 Z06/07 ! She's a blast and will never regret that purchase ! I heard there were some Corvette events, maybe even a club, in Saskatoon. If one of the members want to point me into the right direction I'm not against a cruise.

Keven

And yes. There is a club in Saskatoon. @Riley P is in Saskatoon and should be able to give you some details.

Welcome to the Canadian :canada: Corvette Forums. Thank you for your Photos.
You have our envy as you qualify for the Corvette Owners School. Many here will endorse this
being a strong consideration of yours within the first year of ownership. You will be able to
get so many answers to questions that you may never think of and have a tremendous amount
of fun regardless of your driving style. They group similar styles together.
It is the best US$1000 "bang for your buck" and "it's Vegas Baby" …
You get to learn & do so much with a Corvette Corvette near exact to yours :thumbs:

here's just a few links on here
Spring Mountain Corvette owners School Found on the Net
Corvette owner school at Ron Fellows Spring Mountain
Spring Mountain Corvette Owners School Easter Weekend - 30&31 March 2018
https://canadiancorvetteforums.com/posts/132365

My winter storage was a concrete floor in an unheated garage. I did not have issues
with tires that are just the Factory installed Stingray Michelin.
Last year I decided to step up one notch and try a sub-floor type product made to separate
one's toes from the basement slab. It withstands a design 1"x1" point-load from a 1" slate pool table leg
and is a combination of plywood adhered to a strong plastic base. I find it with an OK price
at Home Depot in roughly 2ftx2ft tiles. I gave it a shot last year and they held
up ... merely separating the tires from the concrete slab.

Regardless of how little I do, I aim for anything other than the "can't give a crap" resolve
seeing New and Used Corvettes outside and exposed to snow and frigid temps at the
odd GM Dealership and at resale lots. Replacement tires will be AS3+ or the new ZPAS3+
which may lessen concern and for enjoying a drive at the 0 degree threshold in Snowtember.

Last edited:
That 2019 Z06/Z07 is a beauty! Congratulations on a terrific choice.
I have a 2017 GS w/Z07 and Cup 2's. I was faced with a similar tire problem in 2014 after I got my first Stingray & was putting it in winter storage in my unheated garage. I saw a listing at Costco for Race Ramps Flatstopper storage ramps. They have been used every winter since with great results. I will pump up the Cup 2's to about 40 PSI and sit the car on the ramps when local temps fall below about 9C. I don't move the car until Spring temps rise above 7-9C. So far, no cracks, no flat spots, no damage. Ramps work great to date. Not sure if Costco still sells them? www.raceramps.com. Hope this helps.

Reactions: ddgermann
Welcome to the site Kev and congrats on your new machine. Color sure sticks out. Not the weather to enjoy it lately. I was in PA yesterday and today again picked up some stuff from Schmalz auction , rain rain, even the ducks are complaining. Can't give you any tips on the new car other than watch out for the man hole covers and those cracks in the pavement there on the streets, I hit a big one yesterday there on top of the hill someplace in the intersection, ouch on the trailer.

Hello everybody,

That being said, having the Z07 package, I have the Cup 2's tires which are going to crack in storage this winter if I don't find a solution. I was wondering what people do, beside putting the car on blocks. Did you buy a separate set of cheap wheels/tires just for storage ?

Thanks !

Keven

Oh and there she is: View attachment 20069
Hey Kevin. I'm over here in Meadow Lake with a '17 Z06/07 3LZ. I just put my studded Nokian Hakkeppellitas on yesterday. I bought knock off wheels from a guy in Northern Cali (C7Z06owners.com) that look identical to my chrome Vette wheels with the exception of the center caps. For the Corvette logo you need an Ebay decal. Really good guy to deal with. As I recall $1100 US for the full set + shipping. I'm running 285/35/19 all around. They just fit. The car is brilliant on snow and ice....I drive it all year round. Get yourself a couple Canadian Polar Pads off Amazon.ca and stick em to the bottom of the engine for block heaters. Command start with the Chevy App + heated seats.....done. 😎
20180916_200947.jpg

Last edited:
Also, I replaced my Cup 2s with PZeros. I keep the Cup 2s as spares....not much tread left. Got 5000km out of them. Both sets are stored in my garage (along with spare Viper tires 😉) No problems.... The PZeros stay on the original wheels.
20180916_200926.jpg

I Agree with Wild and suggest you check Amazon.ca and search "Race Ramps". I have 67" two piece ramps. Instead of flat stoppers you might consider getting a pair of ramps and some wheel cribs to get the entire car off the ground so you can get under it for oil changes or whatever.

Wow, I did not expect that many replies in a so short period of time. Thanks to everybody for your advices and comments !

I will definitely check out Spring Mountain as I have a trip planned to Vegas in the next few months. I wouldn't want to miss such experience.

Just throwing this out there: If anybody has a used set of wheels/tires with curb marks, no tread, etc that they want to sell for cheap, give me a shout. Needs to fit the pattern with 19" rims min as per @flyboy999 .

XFIRE82 said:
Can't give you any tips on the new car other than watch out for the man hole covers and those cracks in the pavement there on the streets, I hit a big one yesterday there on top of the hill someplace in the intersection, ouch on the trailer.

I bet you this was at the corner of 2nd Ave & 28th St W. Been watching that spot for a couple months. The best about it is that they did some road work there about a month ago but apparently didn't feel like thinking about people's cars.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread