Regular
Feb 26, 2014
North Oshawa
VetteCoins
Car
2023 C8 Convertible
Province
ON
Finally reached the end of the 800 km period. Once you reach 800 km, shut the car off and restart it. Immediately you’ll notice the changes in the tachometer engine limits(see attached photos). The other thing you’ll notice is a lot more power coming from the engine. Guaranteed to put a smile on your face!! 01D55997-18A9-4FA0-9537-D84E460700C8.jpeg83B98A41-CB7B-49EA-B9E9-DC18B4625FF7.jpeg

In first and second gears, software reduces torque by about 25 to 30 percent for the first 500 miles. That means that, at most, torque drops to 329 pound-feet compared to the normal 470 lb-ft

Also you do not need to shut the engine off to see the tach change. It changes while you are driving when you hit about 802kms.

Do we have to change oil after the first 800 kil.... On my 2019 i had to change oil made free by GM and i had 2 more free oil change before i sold the car at 15000 kil in sept 2020. Now i have a red convertible 2021.
excuse my English.

Do we have to change oil after the first 800 kil.... On my 2019 i had to change oil made free by GM and i had 2 more free oil change before i sold the car at 15000 kil in sept 2020. Now i have a red convertible 2021.
excuse my English.
The first 2 changes are free for Canuks, but the first recommended change is at 12000 kms.

Reactions: PapaSmurf
My personal preference is first oil and filter change at 1500 km. Have done this to all my new vehicles with no issues. Under $80.00 for oil from Rock Auto and filter from GM.
The C8 requires a specific Mobil1 oil. ESP formula

I'm always cautious, especially with a high performance engine, so I did my first oil change shortly after the break-in period. Others think that a waste of oil so there's different opinions on when you should do the first oil change. My dealer recommended it be done after the break-in and I always do early oil changes with any new vehicle.

And yes, the first 2 oil/filter changes are paid for by GM, as long as done in the first 2 years of ownership. All the dealers I've heard about, will do the oil changes any time in those 2 years, regardless of the mileage on the vehicle and regardless of what the manual recommends. And if you've got a GM Visa card, you get another 2 free oil changes in those same 2 years, once the 2 GM freebee oil changes are done. You'd have to put a lot of miles on your C8 in 2 years, to do 4 oil/filter changes.

This applies to Canadians. For those in the States, they only get one free GM oil/filter change, but unlike Canadians, they get a free DCT filter change which works out better for them since that's far more expensive than an oil/filter change. I'm not sure how the GM Visa card works for US people so I don't know if it allows extra oil/filter changes.

The break-in period ends at 805 km. As I drove, I watched my odometer and nothing happened when it first hit 805 km but then before 806 km, the display changed and the RPM red line changed from 5,500 to 6,500. That was my experience. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Comparing my odometer to the pictures you posted mine seems off. I’ve driven 1500km and the red area of my RPMs are different does anyone know why?
View attachment 82027

I suspect it's because your engine temperature is only 61 degrees. When starting the C8 "cold" it'll read a low temperature and the red line will also be at a low level. Then as the engine warms up, the red line increases. For me, when the engine is at about 74 to 76 degrees, the red line is at 6,500 RPM and that's where it sits regardless of how much hotter the engine gets.

• Agree
Reactions: Murray20c8
I suspect it's because your engine temperature is only 61 degrees. When starting the C8 "cold" it'll read a low temperature and the red line will also be at a low level. Then as the engine warms up, the red line increases. For me, when the engine is at about 74 to 76 degrees, the red line is at 6,500 RPM and that's where it sits regardless of how much hotter the engine gets.
Exactamoondo!

The C8 requires a specific Mobil1 oil. ESP formula
Actually, there is a lot of oil manufacturer's making oil that meets Dexos2 ESP, not just Mobil 1. Right from GM's own website, they list over 80 brands. However, only a handful are making it in the 0W40 right now (most are either 5W30, 5W20 or 0W30), but, I suspect more of them will be making 0W40 soon. I also attached a link to the good old "gold standard" for oil discussions, "BobistheOilguy". Your main choice is going to be Mobil 1, but Castrol Edge (Dexos2 version) is another option. I suspect both will be similarly priced, but, gives you more buying options.GM Dexos 2 oil list . M1 Dexos 2 ESP oil discussion

Actually, there is a lot of oil manufacturer's making oil that meets Dexos2 ESP, not just Mobil 1. Right from GM's own website, they list over 80 brands. However, only a handful are making it in the 0W40 right now (most are either 5W30, 5W20 or 0W30), but, I suspect more of them will be making 0W40 soon. I also attached a link to the good old "gold standard" for oil discussions, "BobistheOilguy". Your main choice is going to be Mobil 1, but Castrol Edge (Dexos2 version) is another option. I suspect both will be similarly priced, but, gives you more buying options.GM Dexos 2 oil list . M1 Dexos 2 ESP oil discussion
Had this discussion on another forum. Mobil1 is the recommended oil. The first 2 free changes should be Mobil1 you'd think, but while under warranty I'd just make sure you use the recommended oil spec and keep receipts.

"Engine oil meeting the dexos2 specification of the proper SAE viscosity grade. Mobil 1 dexos2 full synthetic is recommended. See Engine Oil p218"

Edit: BTW, In my Malibu it says to use Mobil1, but when I went for the free oil change I had to pay to upgrade to Mobil1. I forget what they were going to use. but it wasn't Mobil1 or even synthetic.

Why would I want to import oil from the U.S.? Is it that cheap?
Yes, actually, it is. Like $7.79 CDN /quart. Compared to over $20 up here. And free shipping with minimum orders if you have an account. So, buy in bulk and stock up, or, just have it shipped to your US postal box (I have one in Ogdensburg, NY, which is only a 45 min drive for me), and pick up for free. Love RockAuto

Reactions: WPGZ06 and Bixter44
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread