Thanks for those. One of the titles is "TIMING AND VACUUM ADVANCE 101 Written by John Hinckley".

For those of you who don't know John, he goes by JohnZ on a great number of Corvette and Camaro enthusiast sites. He is probably the most knowledgeable person about classic-era Corvettes and Camaros on the planet.

John worked as an engineer directly under Zora Arkus Duntov and has a wealth of knowledge that no one I've heard of can rival. He easily answers questions like, "When, in 1966, did GM change the black interior trim paint, and who manufactured the old stuff?". He'll not only give you the manufacturer's name and part number, but he'll tell you (almost to the day) when and why the change happened, who the replacement manufacturer was, and where to get a suitable replacement product today.

I can't say enough about his value to the hobby. Here we are at dinner at Rillo's in Carlisle - John in red.
29lcz2h.jpg

A few of us were talking to someone on the field at Carlisle about getting the correct late-60s fan clutch for their big block. John happened along and wrote the number down.....from memory....really.

28vbp7l.jpg

Part #3916141. We checked, later. He was right. I don't know why we checked.....we should have known.

The man is amazing.

I've read a few of John's articles; always a wealth of info.

67: are you running manifold vacuum in 67HEAVEN? My '75 HEI is set to ported vacuum; just wondering if a change to manifold along with a recurve would benefit. And where is a good place to get info on how to recurve an HEI to run on manifold vacuum?

67: are you running manifold vacuum in 67HEAVEN? My '75 HEI is set to ported vacuum; just wondering if a change to manifold along with a recurve would benefit. And where is a good place to get info on how to recurve an HEI to run on manifold vacuum?

Manifold vacuum on mine. On your recurve question, have a look here - http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/joeveto/Vacuum_Advance_and_Recurve.shtml

With my cam change this late-summer, I'm going to go through the 850 Holley and the advance curve myself, this winter, to optimize things.

Manifold vacuum on mine. On your recurve question, have a look here - http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/joeveto/Vacuum_Advance_and_Recurve.shtml

With my cam change this late-summer, I'm going to go through the 850 Holley and the advance curve myself, this winter, to optimize things.

Thanks 67. With your help and Buckhorn's too I'm confident now I can tackle this. Just need to pick up a timing light and a vacuum guage now; oh, and a recurve kit. That's what I like about this forum, helpful folks like you guys. :D

Found this website with many links to great articles. vettetech

I especially liked the ones on timing and vacuum advance; some written by John Hinckley and the ones by Lars Grimsrud and Duke Williams. Looks like a Napa VC1853 Vac Can should give the right amount of vacuum advance for my L48. :D

I posted John's photo above, so why not Lars' too? :D

2yk1jfd.jpg

I took this photo during one of the stops on Lars' Tuning for Beer World Tour. :rofl:

w8ks2u.jpg

Last edited:
Case75,

One more thing. I knew I had a photo of Barry Kimmelman around here somewhere. He's a decent guy whose website ( vettetech ) you found the articles on. He lives in Delaware.

I shot this photo about 10 minutes after the John Hinckley (JohnZ) photo several posts up.

2cnuwpk.jpg

Small world, eh? :D

Case75,

One more thing. I knew I had a photo of Barry Kimmelman around here somewhere. He's a decent guy whose website ( vettetech ) you found the articles on. He lives in Delaware.

I shot this photo about 10 minutes after the John Hinckley (JohnZ) photo several posts up.

Small world, eh? :D

It is a small world. Did he have the '65 or the '78 that day? I take it that was at Carlisle?