apollo18

Casual User
May 7, 2020
VetteCoins
Car
1962 corvette c1
Province
AB
hello for my 62 corvette the hood doesnt want to open anymore. when i pull the hood release, i can get the driver side to open but the paseenger side stayed put. i tried pushing the hood in while pulling the hood release or shaking the hood etc but no go. right now when the hood release is pulled, the passenger side of the hood is still closed however the driver side portion is open. i tried to slide my hands from the driver side to pull up but theres not that much space and i dont think it will work by prying at it.

any clues how to get it open? i heard people go underneath but theres not much space down there epsecialyl with the batteyr in the way and also the splash guards are still on

thank

Last week I installed backup release cables on our 62 so this problem wouldn't happen to us. Have you checked if the passenger side cable is working at all? Some people have luck fishing a hooked wire through the grommet hole and snagging the release arm and pulling. Our hood is off right now so if you need detailed pictures I could forward some. I just crawled under the car and can reach the heater hose at the fire wall-if the car was jacked up I could probably reach the release lever by putting my arm between the engine and frame and under the heater air duct. Tomorrow I will jack it up and try again. ( I was anyway to check some suspension issue).
Bob & Gina

Thanks so much for the reply! What’s the grommet hole you are talking about? Is it outside somewhere or is it in the vehicle? Thanks!

Good Morning!
Grommet hole is where the release cable passes through the firewall to attach to hood release. There is a rubber grommet in the hole to keep fumes, water, dust out of car interior. Here are some pictures I just took. Grommet is in line with washer spray nozzle. Have not jacked car up yet to try and reach release-- later today.
Bob

Attachments

• IMG_2017.JPG
    IMG_2017.JPG
    354.1 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_2022.JPG
    IMG_2022.JPG
    394.3 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2024.JPG
    IMG_2024.JPG
    529.3 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2018.JPG
    IMG_2018.JPG
    403.8 KB · Views: 38
Thank you so much for the in depth reply and all the pics!! You are great!!!

It seems like the grommet hole helps for the driver side release rather then the passenger side right? I’ll peobably have to jack and get under

Thank you so much for the in depth reply and all the pics!! You are great!!!

It seems like the grommet hole helps for the driver side release rather then the passenger side right? I’ll peobably have to jack and get under

Is it possible to lift the driver's side up as much as you can without bending anything and reach under from the drivers side with something long like a hot dog roasting thingy with a hook on it or something like that? Just a thought...

Hi again
You do realize that there are two release cables coming from the hood release t handle. At the back of the t handle the release cable splits into two identical units--one for the drivers and one for the passenger side. The passenger cable runs across under the dash and exits the firewall into the engine compartment just above the heater motor. I am jacking the car up right now and will give you the word in 10 minutes. Also there are four bolts that mount the hood latch maybe they can be released from the footwell. There is a tool that I saw somewhere which is a thin steel rod (hot dog toasty thingy is about right with a hooked end that you snake in along the release cable and hook the release bar. Let me try to reach and release.
Bob

• Informative
Reactions: ddgermann
Well I did it!
you need to remove splash panel under battery and reach up in front of the battery and to the outside of the fan air duct past the heater box. I used my left arm. You will feel the lock bracket with the release arm situated on the outer side of the bracket. Push the arm to the rear not the cable. I am attaching a short video complete with grunting sounds. I do not have a long left arm. OOPS can't seem to send video. Will get Gina to take multiple pictures
Good luck!
Bob & Gina

Attachments

• IMG_2073.JPG
    IMG_2073.JPG
    346.5 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2074.JPG
    IMG_2074.JPG
    423.1 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2075.JPG
    IMG_2075.JPG
    416.2 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2076.JPG
    IMG_2076.JPG
    428.3 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2077.JPG
    IMG_2077.JPG
    429.3 KB · Views: 35
Well I did it!
you need to remove splash panel under battery and reach up in front of the battery and to the outside of the fan air duct past the heater box. I used my left arm. You will feel the lock bracket with the release arm situated on the outer side of the bracket. Push the arm to the rear not the cable. I am attaching a short video complete with grunting sounds. I do not have a long left arm. OOPS can't seem to send video. Will get Gina to take multiple pictures
Good luck!
Bob & Gina
Your responses are pretty helpful as I am struggling to release the right side latch on my ‘62. So far but no luck today. Will try again tomorrow.

After forty odd years of fighting with the original type cables I got so pissed off that now I just leave the hood open. I'm really scared if there is a underhood fire in the old car and I won't be able to get the damn hood open fast enough to put it out. I carry an extinguisher at all times. I wouldn't go anywhere where I plan to leave it so I'm not worried about people opening the hood and it's NEVER out of my sight! I do have another new cable to put in it.......it's on the "to do" list. LOL.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.