Black Vettes Matter
Regular
Dec 6, 2018
VetteCoins
Car
C7 Z51 Owner
Province
MB
I have a 07 WITH Bose no Nav. My current unit was starting to freeze in the summer so id like to replace this spring with a touch screen (I don't need nav or cameras), is it true that only replacing that can give better sound quality? The current speakers are still fine, but if its really worth it I would consider swapping as long as a direct plug and play for the factory speakers, I wouldn't mind more bass without adding a sub. Im planning on buying from Crutchfield as Iike how the offer recommended installation gear for proper fitment and can retain steering wheel audio controls.
If anyone has bought through crutchfield for their C6 I love to get some feedback. thx

I have a 07 WITH Bose no Nav. My current unit was starting to freeze in the summer so id like to replace this spring with a touch screen (I don't need nav or cameras), is it true that only replacing that can give better sound quality? The current speakers are still fine, but if its really worth it I would consider swapping as long as a direct plug and play for the factory speakers, I wouldn't mind more bass without adding a sub. Im planning on buying from Crutchfield as Iike how the offer recommended installation gear for proper fitment and can retain steering wheel audio controls.
If anyone has bought through crutchfield for their C6 I love to get some feedback. thx
I have an 06 with original sound system. Personally keep car original and get radio repaired..

I’m not in a C6 and normally like Original equipment but thinking one of the best after market add-ons would be something with blue tooth connectivity so that a smart phone can be connected and to therefore take full advantage of handsfree. Even if there is an aftermarket screened item that can accept Apple car play. Although it takes a while, once set up and understood, it is awesome to have handsfree phone snd messsging. Then in good time explore blue tooth music from your phone and maps/directions ... or at least be capable of it. Just my opinion as I just scoped the Best Buy website just to see what’s out there (haven’t done that for years ... since my 1984 Camaro that was shipped without a radio in it.)

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: ddgermann
I have an 06 with original sound system. Personally keep car original and get radio repaired..

It’s cheaper to upgrade to a perfectly fitted modern system than the repair likely. If you can even find someone willing to repair it.
The nav screens on the C6 were brutal and sluggish at the best is time. Yes I had one.
It’s a cool idea to keep the car all original and the purist in me agrees to the point when things stop working. Then I would definitely upgrade. 😁

Pioneer, kenwood, Alpine. In that order too I think of what I would choose based on availability. My local shop can do all 3. And yes just a head unit change on these makes a huge difference in sound. Good luck and post pics when it's done.

Just looking for an update. What system did you end up going with?

The car isn't coming out of storage for atleast a couple months still. Im not going to buy anything til then incase there is an issue with the product. Will probably end up going with a Pioneer. I'll buy what crutchfield recommends but Visions has way better prices from what ive found and crutchfield wont price match.

Reactions: YFCvii
The car isn't coming out of storage for atleast a couple months still. Im not going to buy anything til then incase there is an issue with the product. Will probably end up going with a Pioneer. I'll buy what crutchfield recommends but Visions has way better prices from what ive found and crutchfield wont price match.
If the higher priced supplier has value-add (ie better/pro installation service) then it’s a get-what-you-pay-for situation. I’m getting that with home/business security companies and hate the extra price but need the pro-service and people. But the extra/higher price can most often be “appreciated” if there is something else found and benefit from. Otherwise it’s likely the same “box”.

If the higher priced supplier has value-add (ie better/pro installation service) then it’s a get-what-you-pay-for situation. I’m getting that with home/business security companies and hate the extra price but need the pro-service and people. But the extra/higher price can most often be “appreciated” if there is something else found and benefit from. Otherwise it’s likely the same “box”.

Whichever place I buy from im going to get my local garage do the install when I do the oil and new rubber in the spring, so like you said its the same box.

I would recommend sending the audio install out to a shop the specialized in that. Did you know a majority of the car starters and stereo installs are farmed out by the dealer anyways and then they just tac on their fee when you could have had it done better...for less. The stereo shops have a way better idea if you need the Bose modules, door lock modules etc etc that's why the dealer sends vehicle to them if it's an option. Also the good double din dash kit are usually in stock there like Metra or the other brand for example. Ymmv...but I have worked at a few dealerships and have family that work at a dedicated stereo, remote start, radio communication shop. They get almost all the work from dealers....and the rats nests to diagnose and fix after the dealer screwed the install. Guess it depends where you are at location wise. Have fun. Pioneer is a great choice. And if you see butt connected wires, wire tap devices...and alot of tape....run away...fast. A good shop goes through firewall in existing hole or makes a small grommeted factory looking hole, they solder and heat shrink tube everything and use factory looking conduit, correct gauge wire for each application etc. Ask all the right questions....trust no one hahaha....and you should be fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: YFCvii
I would recommend sending the audio install out to a shop the specialized in that. Did you know a majority of the car starters and stereo installs are farmed out by the dealer anyways and then they just tac on their fee when you could have had it done better...for less. The stereo shops have a way better idea if you need the Bose modules, door lock modules etc etc that's why the dealer sends vehicle to them if it's an option. Also the good double din dash kit are usually in stock there like Metra or the other brand for example. Ymmv...but I have worked at a few dealerships and have family that work at a dedicated stereo, remote start, radio communication shop. They get almost all the work from dealers....and the rats nests to diagnose and fix after the dealer screwed the install. Guess it depends where you are at location wise. Have fun. Pioneer is a great choice. And if you see butt connected wires, wire tap devices...and alot of tape....run away...fast. A good shop goes through firewall in existing hole or makes a small grommeted factory looking hole, they solder and heat shrink tube everything and use factory looking conduit, correct gauge wire for each application etc. Ask all the right questions....trust no one hahaha....and you should be fine.
… agreed … once bitten myself and finding my dealer just telling me to go to "their installer / partner"
when I complained about a driving / acceleration buzz through the speakers …
(which was fixed very quickly and without shop fees too)

Reactions: Tinman
When I bought my car,the factory unit had been replaced with a Sony unit complete with a remote. I was given the OEM unit in a box. I’ve since had mine configured so that the DVD will play while in motion as well. I find the sound I get from this is more than I need. The factory BOSE speakers are pretty good for my needs. The Sony unit has an 8 band EQ and I’ve got it set perfect for my music tastes. I don’t need a Sub.
5963EED8-1DB2-4F8D-B16F-26DC5F2EEA43.jpeg
D71A8F9F-AE08-482E-9087-F9E98E2B29D7.jpeg
80F356F3-F41B-40D8-B063-08F68C52641E.jpeg

When I bought my car,the factory unit had been replaced with a Sony unit complete with a remote. I was given the OEM unit in a box. I’ve since had mine configured so that the DVD will play while in motion as well. I find the sound I get from this is more than I need. The factory BOSE speakers are pretty good for my needs. The Sony unit has an 8 band EQ and I’ve got it set perfect for my music tastes. I don’t need a Sub. View attachment 23774View attachment 23775View attachment 23776
good for you

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.