Power User
Oct 30, 2013
Haliburton, Ontario
VetteCoins
Car
2003 Z06
Province
ON
We hear names all the time but seldom give them any thought. Well the name Snell and the Snell Foundation has been synonymous with crash helmets for year. However, I never thought about who Snell was and why he ended up rating crash helmets. Here is the story courtesy Coastal 181, an automotive book store in the United States. A sad but interesting story….

600-WD-1970.jpg

[HASHTAG]#1971[/HASHTAG] - “For many privateer (sports car) racers, the TR3 proved to be the car of choice…In the 1950s, drivers frequently raced in short sleeves and the equivalent of a polo helmet; cars did not have roll bars or sometimes even seat belts. This accident at the 1956 Redwood Empire amateur race in Arcata, California, claimed the life of William Howard ‘Pete’ Snell. Another amateur racer, Dr. Howard Snively, was the course physician and after seeing how poorly the existing crash helmets worked, he began serious efforts to do something about it. Within a year and with help from the SCCA, the Snell Foundation was born and by 1959 the first Snell standards were implemented. The Snell number certifications for helmets continue to this day.” Quote and Photo fromTHE ILLUSTRATED TRIUMPH SPORTS AND RACING CARS, by G. William Krause. (Photo courtesy Revs Institute, William Hewitt Collection)

An awesome example among many that I can appreciate where people make a difference rather than let a tragic event just become a statistic and not going forward by learning from the past, leaving it to repeat and repeat and repeat. I personally love these type of stories of things often taken for granted today, where change was made with such a positive difference for the future. Awesome post and Thank You :thumbs:

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread