Thanks T ... I think I'm very fortunate to find one this nice although I almost passed it up. I found a guy advertising that he had a handful of C2 frames. From the picture he posted they were bare, didn't look great and were all stacked up against a wall. I was looking for a rolling frame but took a chance and contacted him. Turns out he had two (2) '67 rolling frames for sale. I started getting excited and asked for pic's but he said he couldn't send any. I asked why and he said cause weeds had grown up all around them. My heart was sinking fast but I thought maybe they've been covered ... no just sitting in a field. I must of sounded disappointed and he said really, you're not going to find a better frame than the one. Said they've only been sitting out for about a month and it's just been this spring rain that's caused the weeds to grow up quickly. This one only has surface rust ... no scale he said. Turns out the guy was only about a 90 min. drive form me so I took a drive out. It still looked bad when I first saw it. It still had an engine and transmission but when I looked at it close, it really did look great ... just light surface rust. We negotiated a deal for just the rolling frame. I asked how he came to get it. Said he bought a '67 out of Texas and after driving it for a while, decided to sell it. A company called and said they just wanted the body for a Resto Mod. Here's what it looked like when I first saw it.

4. eBay find.JPG

The other frame wasn't as good as this one and had the kind of story that would probably make every Corvette owner cringe. It still had what was left of a coupe body from the windshield frame back only it was all cut up ... even the birdcage was sliced up. A married couple had it and it belonged to the wife. They were getting a divorce. One day the husband took his reciprocating saw and destroyed it. :( :( :(

It's nice to have the picture along with the story. That would be scary seeing the frame with all the plants growing up through it. I'm glad it worked out however. As for the other Corvette, it's really too bad when cars take the hit from a messy divorce. Even if I didn't respect the other person, at least I would respect the car! :D

Wow. that is awesome. I went the fix it route. Took a lot of rework to patch the rust holes, but I wanted to reinforce and modify while I was at it. I have a restoration thread in the C3 Section with a bunch of pics of my progress.

I wish there was corvettes parts lying around here. Not many that I have found.

Keep up the good work. I love seeing pics.

T

Wow. that is awesome. I went the fix it route. Took a lot of rework to patch the rust holes, but I wanted to reinforce and modify while I was at it. I have a restoration thread in the C3 Section with a bunch of pics of my progress.

I wish there was corvettes parts lying around here. Not many that I have found.

Keep up the good work. I love seeing pics.

T
That was great you were able to fix your frame. I've seen others do that and I'm in awe ... I don't have the equipment, skills or knowledge for that. Glad it worked out. Maybe someone will want my old rolling frame when I'm done with it to do what you did. :) Right now I plan on putting the body back on the old frame when it goes to the paint shop and then transfer the body onto the new frame (engine & tranny installed), after it's painted. Hoping to keep the over-spray off the new frame.

I see you've got a '73 ... sweet and you've got a removable rear window like my '74 has. Not sure what year the window is from on mine but that's one of my favorite perks to pop that rear window out. I'll try to check out your C3 thread but right now it's back to the garage. :)

welcome to the forum Jcpstrat, that looks like a nice resto you are doing on the '67, definetly the best year to do. Just a little suggestion if I may, attach an explanation on the upper frame rail about why the frame ser # is not corresponding to the # on the bird cage. We just write up a note and get it laminated and attach it near the factory frame ser # near the drivers side dog leg. That just removes any question as to the authenticity of the car. Future owners will appreciate that..... Is your engine and trans #'s matching? Looking forward to watching the resto thread as I went through it with my '65 ... 10 yrs ago

just watched the video and read your for sale advert, great job! thanks for that video, it brought back some happy memories of my '75 Roadster that we owned for many years ...

Thanks for the welcome vt65 and comments on the '74. Too bad there's such a difference between the US & Canadian $'s right now cause that makes it tough to buy something from the States right now. Congrats on mov'in up to the '08. Do you have any pictures up of it here in the forum?

I appreciate the tip on the frame/body serial number ... not heard of that before but I know exactly where to put it. I'm not doing a NCRS restoration on this car because A. it's too far gone for me to afford to do that & B. if I did that I wouldn't want to drive it and I really want to be able to drive this Vette. It's a fairly high optioned car and does have the original 327cid/350hp L79 engine and the close ratio Muncie 4 spd. Not sure of they're condition yet but once I get the body ready to go to the paint shop I'll get into those areas ... or at least that the plan right now. :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread