jeffy

Casual User
Feb 11, 2021
VetteCoins
Car
1993 C4
Province
SK
Hope someone can help. I had my C4 on here to get a value for it in March. Had some great opinions and listed it for sale. Had alot of tire kickers but a guy sent me some cash and off the car went. He showed up with trailer, he started it and drove it ashort distance to load up. He started it two or three times getting it on the trailer then strapped it in and drove 7 hours to his place. When he got there he said it wouldnt start, it ran terrible, and its showing error codes. Is it possible that the ECM or something could have gotten shook up during transport? My car ran great but he is accusing me of selling a bad car. It bothers me because I am not that kinda person to do that. Any opinions?

Common sense must be applied. If you sold the car as is where is and the purchaser did not thoroughly go over it or test drive it, then complain about it later, he is on his own. You told him it was running fine when he took it, you did not lie or hide anything. There are so many factors that could be cause for poor running there is no way to to sort it with a 7 hour separation time. I don't
see how you can help him, there was no warranty expressed or implied. Here's a question "What did he do to it?". You can't answer that either. Buyer beware, its at 25+ year old car and its a C4, they ain't problem free.

• Agree
Reactions: 12cents
Hey Thanks for the comment. I have video of it running perfectly in Sept when it went away in heated storage, I started it every month or so on warmer days all winter and backed it out to run abit. He started it and I had him load it. It worked fine but now it has trouble. I feel terrible but as you said when it left my place it was good. Be nice to find out what is going on though.

Its always nice to find out, but, the other guy, just like the rest of us vette owners, has to either sort it out himself (if he has any mechanical abilities) or find a shop that will sort it out. We could guess and conjecture 'till the cows come home but unless you are there ya can't solve anything. I'd be willing to bet, if he "looks for something simple first", he'll get it resolved pretty quick.

• Agree
Reactions: Carson and 12cents
When he got there he said it wouldnt start, it ran terrible, and its showing error codes. Any opinions?
The complaints appear rather vague but maybe you spared us the details.
Car wouldn't start but ran terrible says the car eventually did start. Hmmmm ,,,
Showing error codes ... before not starting or after? Still showing them?
Perhaps something as a result of how it was eventually started.
Knowing the error codes might find a simple resolve but who knows
until the buyer explores it.
Simple fact is that the complaints were not raised at delivery/pickup.
He may accuse you but the car and keys have now been out of your hands for
a lengthy amount of time ... no accusations toward the buyer but it's fact.

Too bad it has come to this for you ... Similar thing happened to me selling a 1986
turbo-charged Sunbird in my past and it turned out that a vacuum hose "wiggled loose".
Was a lot of drama that really turns me off from selling used vehicles but I still will.

Reactions: Black 03 Z06
Thanks for the comments. I was happy my car was going to a good home but now its such a mess. He is pissed and thinks I have screwed him over and thats definetly not the case. I found my video that i posted here from Sept when it went in storage of it running and working and now he has quit harreshing me for now.

my question was enclosed or open trailer for transport. then did it rain or not.

im guessing opti as well but i would easily be able to tell by checking for fuel pressure then spark.

your thoughts of washing engine just as valid. would be nice to know.

to the OP, clear your conscience of this. they are old cars with hundreds of gotchas.

I suspect a scam. Offer him to bring the car back and you'll refund his money. There's always another buyer. DO NOT give him any discount or a partial refund. I agree with Dave91TM above. As is, where is, but only a full refund upon return for a solution to this.

I suspect a scam. Offer him to bring the car back and you'll refund his money. There's always another buyer. DO NOT give him any discount or a partial refund. I agree with Dave91TM above. As is, where is, but only a full refund upon return for a solution to this.
absolutely NO WAY EVER i would refund him and take the car back. You have NO IDEA what he has done to the car.

You could be suggesting to refund money on a car that is trashed in some internal way.

• Agree
Reactions: Carson and 12cents
The car worked great when I left my place so I won’t refund. He had an open trailer and the motor was clean so thinking he didn’t wash it but I don’t know what he did after he picked it up. Vikingtrader I will prvt you

I don’t mind trying to figure out what’s going on with the car. It worked great for me so I still think it’s something simple
My bet is that he caught heavy rain on the way home and the open trailer being higher, he soaked the optispark in the front of the engine and it's now toasted...
It's his reponsability now to figure out what he did wrong!

• Agree
Reactions: vintageracer
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.