Prior to buying my C5Z I nearly bought a C4ZR1. An incident happened at the dealership and I walked away from it. Don't know why the C4 gets a bad rap, still think they are good looking cars. Growing up in the 50's 60's sports cars were a big deal. Used MGA's, Healey's of variations, small hemi powered Daimlers, Corvettes, Triumph's, some foreign exotics could be bought at bargain basement prices (a friend bought a Ferrari Daytona for pennies on the dollar at a car auction in Mississauga years ago). The desire for these simple sports cars can be seen in auction prices everywhere.

You have to think if you can get into a C4 or C5 for a reasonable price that people would jump at the sports car experience. Is it possible that we have moved beyond the sports car "desire" phase? Are cars like these destined to become dinosaurs? Not sure what the answer is but part of it (IMO) is electronics. Something quits and it is possible the car quits forever. Just look at the issue with main boards for early C5. It would be nice if they made they simple them again. Look at the angst that electronics cause even on brand new cars. I know we can never go back.

Interesting link Brian, thanks for posting it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Malcolm
My only worry with our 2006 is the over abundance of overly complicated electronics and stuff that I really don't want nor need. GM has had problems that they themselves never seemed to get to the bottom of. People with C5s and C6s still seem to have the old "Service Active Handling" problem rearing its ugly head even after GM has serviced them. Not the kinds of cars I want to own when they are 20-30 years old.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread