Nov 13, 2009
Simcoe On
VetteCoins
Car
2008 4LT convert
my C6 convert is a bear to backup with the top up, just wonderin if anyone has installed a b/u camera and where did you place the monitor? What is the best camera to use, preferrably wireless? I have nav so I don't want to replace the radio.

Haven't had to install one vt but there are several on the market that use a replacement rear view mirror as the monitor ...If I'm not mistaken, there's a GM one available that has the Onstar in it as well as the monitor.

Reactions: vt65
Haven't had to install one vt but there are several on the market that use a replacement rear view mirror as the monitor ...If I'm not mistaken, there's a GM one available that has the Onstar in it as well as the monitor.

will likely give Manny a shout to see if he has any ideas, i'll check into the mirror, thanks

There are a lot of things to consider, and a lot of options for you, which makes it hard to make a simple recommendation.

First, you mention NAV, but don't specify if it is factory or an aftermarket deck? I'll assume factory for the lack of information indicating otherwise, which means that you aren't likely to have a video input. If it is aftermarket, it could be as simple as wiring a camera into your video input and reverse lights.

For stand-alone systems, the biggest consideration has got to be how you want it to look in the car? The rear-view mirror integrated display is one of the best options, because who wants a blocky screen stuck on the dash or windsheild somewhere? The only two choices that I would consider would be the rear-view mirror display, or an aftermarket radio with video input. (In my opinion, factory decks are junk and are usually the first thing I replace on a GM car).

I've got to say though, that the best image quality and reliability is still going to be a wired system. The rear-view mirror display with a wired camera should start around $200, plus install if you aren't comfortable with doing it yourself. I'm not going to volunteer to do it for you (you're way too far away), but a shop should probably only charge $50-100 to hook one up for you.

It has been a few years since I have tried a wireless system though, and they are improving in leaps and bounds. However, any wireless systems with decent reviews are still pretty expensive, and I don't think they are worthwhile. The Pearl rearview for example is $500, and you use your smart phone to see the camera view.

Also, it is important to understand that the term "wireless" is used very loosely. It is most often used to describe the transmission of the signal from the camera located at the rear of the car to the monitor up at the front where the driver can see it. Both devices require electricity to work, and often have a cigarette lighter adapter for the monitor, and a battery box or a hardwired requirement for power for the transmitter at the rear of the car. Additionally, unless they have a separate power switch to operate them, most require them to be wired into your reverse lights to know when the vehicle is in reverse. This is why I dislike the word "wireless" being used, because that is simply not true.

thanks Jeremiad, yes I should have mentioned that i have the factory deck with nav, I like the mirror idea as i liked having the monitor there in my last vehicle, my new Traverse is in the deck and even though it is larger i find it less easy to use as it is out of my sight line. I will post my decision and how it works out.

Great advice Jordy. There are not many questions that come to this forum that do not get a response, and most often the advice given is extremely knowledgeable and based on a wealth of experience. Even the black tape covering the engine light..... :rolleyes:

Reactions: Tinman
I am not sure if you could fit a C6 factory Nav with back up camera. Does it exists? Bought my C6 with an aftermarket Kenwood with the backup camera, Carplay, etc. It is definitely an awesome option as it is sometimes difficult to backup.
Cheers

I am sure that an aftermarket HU is the way to go, the OEM unit in our car are primitive and the aftermarket fits great in the dash you can barely see the difference and you will have a much better resolution, more options and in some case a front and rear camera to prevent front damage to. With the interface available on the market, you can keep steering controls and I think you dont have to splice any wires. If you have head up display, you will loose the info from the radio and gps in your winshield

I am not sure if you could fit a C6 factory Nav with back up camera. Does it exists? Bought my C6 with an aftermarket Kenwood with the backup camera, Carplay, etc. It is definitely an awesome option as it is sometimes difficult to backup.
Cheers
The lockpicks is doing it to the 2011 model, 2012-13 had additionals speakers so the harness supply with it do not fit. I did call the company in Florida and they said they will not produce a unit for the 2012-13, to small market. I did found another systeme on the market but it was 800 USD, so better change the unit

I know this is an old thread, but... I'm in the Calgary area and have a Kenwood stereo (C6). They didn't install a Back Up camera. The Kenwood will work with 2 cameras so I need the camera and an install. Anyone know the price, brand or model # and a good place around Calgary to get the install done? Thanks.

I have the OEM Nav system in my 06, and wanted a back up camera, but didn't want to just have a stand alone monitor somewhere to be an eyesore.
My solution was to remove the driver side sunvisor vanity mirror assembly and install the monitor in it's place. I used the vanity cover, cut it to the same shape as the monitor, and mounted it in the cover. The cover is then attached to the sunvisor using clips.
It worked, out of sight until you want to use the BU camera, and looks OEM.
Here is a pic.

I have the OEM Nav system in my 06, and wanted a back up camera, but didn't want to just have a stand alone monitor somewhere to be an eyesore.
My solution was to remove the driver side sunvisor vanity mirror assembly and install the monitor in it's place. I used the vanity cover, cut it to the same shape as the monitor, and mounted it in the cover. The cover is then attached to the sunvisor using clips.
It worked, out of sight until you want to use the BU camera, and looks OEM.
Here is a pic.
View attachment 25731
Interesting I like it what brand name ??? where did you purchase it ??? heading for Moncton next week

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.