Apr 9, 2019
St Catharines Ontario
VetteCoins
Car
1999 corvette
Province
ON
Hi all. Well I have the dreaded wobble of the harmonic balancer on my 99 vert. I picked up the Dayco power bond PB1117SS balancer, race version, an ARP bolt and a new seal. My question is about pinning the crank. This part comes with a slot, for a keyed crank which we do not have. I wrote to Dayco , and said that they have had quite a few questions regarding this, They said the best way is to key the crank, but money talks on that idea. They also said some guys have pinned the balancer to the crank, but ended up scoring the surface of the balancer surface and the end of crank surface so that the balancer did not sit square. Any of you guys pinned your balancers to the crank?

Reactions: Black 03 Z06
I just drilled and pinned my harmonic balancer.
If you were closer I would lend you the rig for doing the job.
It’s a easy thing to do and there is nothing that can go wrong other than drilling the hole to deep into your main seal.
I put a bit of tape on the drill bit to make sure I didn’t drill to far.
I’ll post a picture of the jig drill bit and reamer in a little while once I get back home.
If you’re putting on a new balancer that’s all the work,once the balancer is mounted is when you bolt up the jig then drill the hole,ream it out with the supplied reamer then pop the pin in then your harmonic balancer bolt...easy peasy and it will never spin.
I actually can’t believe they didn’t put a key way in at the factory as most manufacturers do.
I pinned mine for a supercharger.
It’s a bit of a long job to get to the harmonic balancer,the rack and pinion has to came out.
I’ve done it so many times now I can have the steering rack and harmonic balancer out of the car in less than a hour now.
Any questions I’m home all the time.
Cheers 🍻

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread