wette

I'm New Here
Feb 21, 2015
Vancouver
VetteCoins
Car
Hi there

So I went to start my 07 c6 and noticed a chirping noise under the hood, not very loud but noticeable. Warmed her up and gave it a little gas and went for a drive and the noise went away. Haven't heard it since. Did a quick google search and discovered the harmonic balancer issue. Checked mine and noticed a slight shake not really a wobble but you really have to take a sec to notice it. Nothing as bad as the youtube videos i've seen. But I can't really tell. Can any one recommend any local shops in the vancouver bc / white rock area I can have it checked out at? Also any one else have a similar issue with their car? I'm considering upgrading to a ATI Harmonic Balancer just to be safe based on what others have done. I've never had any type of issues with the car and has been running perfect. This seems like a costly repair aswell :confused: :canada:

The damper problem is common. Do a search on this site. I guess GM forgot how to make them after all these years. Manny Dasilva has a good replacement in stock. I think he has the ATI units. Unless they are under warranty, I can't see replacing the damper with the same thing. A lot of stuff in the way before you get to the damper to remove it. There are Youtube videos showing the process.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gl-a4aaVPk0

Last edited:
Reactions: Messner
If you have a lift or have access to a lift its not an easy job but its not that bad either. Just changed mine as it looked suspect when I was changing my front crank seal. I'd say it took about 5-6 hours at a reasonable pace with my brother helping me out. I would hate to think of what a dealer would have charged to do the job. Perhaps the hardest part was tightening the balancer bolt to 240 foot pounds (old bolt) before removing it and putting the new one in at 37 foot pounds before indexing it 140 degrees.

Good luck!

Take care of the HB wobble fast! I drove a bit before I had mine replaced. Needed to replace the alternator too.

GM could not give me an ETA for OEM part so I went aftermarket. Price and delivery was great.

Installation was 8 hours on a hoist.

Dick

A bit more detail ..... I took my HB to my dealership first and was told the wobble was within their tolerance. I insisted it be changed because it had the "chirp" too. Turned out after the HB was exchanged the chirp was still present and coming from the alternator. The alternator was exchanged. A couple of days later I ended up having to replace the water pump due to it leaking. I cannot say if the WP was damaged during the HB replacement or if the damage was from the HB wobble.

Hope this is helpful.

Dick

Last edited:
Hi there

So I went to start my 07 c6 and noticed a chirping noise under the hood, not very loud but noticeable. Warmed her up and gave it a little gas and went for a drive and the noise went away. Haven't heard it since. Did a quick google search and discovered the harmonic balancer issue. Checked mine and noticed a slight shake not really a wobble but you really have to take a sec to notice it. Nothing as bad as the youtube videos i've seen. But I can't really tell. Can any one recommend any local shops in the vancouver bc / white rock area I can have it checked out at? Also any one else have a similar issue with their car? I'm considering upgrading to a ATI Harmonic Balancer just to be safe based on what others have done. I've never had any type of issues with the car and has been running perfect. This seems like a costly repair aswell :confused: :canada:
Well if your planning on doing any performance work to the engine now is your time. I replaced mine when I did heads/cam install with a 25% under drive pulley. Nets you an additional 8-10 rwhp besides the heads and cam!!!! Just my two cents worth. Cheers bud!!!!

my 05 had the same issue, got a deal on one from manny. my son's c5 had the same issue as well.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.