Muchas Gracias Eric! At least I'll always be younger than our C1 and C2! (And the '27 Model T that's 90!)

Do hope all is well in your world. Your weekend Lake Louise run will be fantastic... what a great group!! I want to go too! Hope you'll post a ton o pics. I don't think summer has officially started here... still rainy and unpredictable weather most days. I now see the logic in a convertible with power top...

:) Franci

Thanks for the wishes Graham! Were you over for the big event?? The vettes were certainly the talk of our little town. I hope they all had a fabulous time. There were so many cool events planned - especially at the classy new mid-island race track! Sadly, we didn't get a chance to meet them but will no doubt hear lots of stories.

Last weekend another 4 or 5 vettes were up from Washington/Portland and stopped into the casual Sat night at the cruise ships gathering. I felt like a little kid when they all convoyed in. I wanted to jump up and down and clap. Wait, I did!

Hope you've been getting out for some nice warm evening drives!?

a Good B'day 2 U, OTCG :Seeya:

I am envious of your location in this Great Country!
... spent this past Christmas in Victoria and stayed at the Grand Pacific.
The boats & ships & planes in the harbour kept us entertained!
Across the road from the Hotel is a USA ferry that comes/goes twice a day.
It gave me thoughts of a 25 car Corvette Cruise ... on a Cruise ... overnight to the USA for the day ... then back again.
It was a thought that would be so super cool, until I saw how they pack those vehicles in the Ferry like sardines :nailbiting:
Nevertheless the walk around Victoria was awesome and the restaurant selection as like none other.
My Wife and I plan to go back in the Stingray to cruise the Island - maybe find "retirement".
We enjoyed Chemainus - there's a coffee shop there that really did hit the spot !!!​

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeremiad
We've done the Corvette Ferry cruise to the Island a few times over many years.
In the past we have asked to go in a group on the truck deck with the big semis.
They have accommodated this request a few times.
It works great. No door dings or gawkers walking between the cars.
It sure is intimidating parking 4' high cars next to all those big trucks.

There are way more trucks these days so I'm not sure this option is available any longer.

Graham

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeremiad and YFCvii
We've done the Corvette Ferry cruise to the Islnad a few times over many years.
In the past we have asked to go in a group on the truck deck with the big semis.
They have accommodated this request a few times.
It works great. No door dings or gawkers walking between the cars.
It sure is intimidating parking 4' high cars next to all those big trucks.

There are way more trucks these days so I'm not sure this option is available any longer.

Graham
That does sound like that was awesome ... if that is a consideration for in the future, and with enough lead-time ...
I would seriously consider being there for it, afterall, and if planned at the start of June,
I think it could maybe make for an awesome B-Day for someone there ;)
in the discovery that "the family" just got a little bit bigger :happy:
Surprise .... Happy Birthday !​

Honestly all of you guys... like an awesome group hug... thanks like crazy!!

And thanks for sharing your Victoria and Van Isld stories! It is a terrific place. Gotta admit ~ it's even better to live here than to visit. I'm from just outside Winnipeg originally, so that's direct from a prairie girl who used to drive her C1 without a heater around Winnipeg in January like an idiot. I swear it's true.

There's a really large and kewl/ecclectic car culture here. For sure because of the mild winters. Most Victoria winters are void of snow; so sand or salt on sea level-(ish) roads. Xmas or NY Day drives - top down - happen often. Great waterfront scenic drives... up-island super highway... and then there's Tofino, my fav place on earth. SN-III ~ Chemainus is so very quaint - no wonder you loved it. I take all our visitors there. There are around a dozen 63 split windows on the island. Interesting fun fact. Even the original Victoria 'Brits' are lovely and not snooty. Though they like their "Yaguars", Triumphs and MGBs. We can't all be perfect! :Angelsad2:

If anyone planned to visit the island, a few ferry tricks can help lessen the stress. Thankfully, our experiences on BC ferries have all been without incident. You're exactly right SN-III & Graham - the key is asking if they can stick you on the lower truck deck with the big rigs, RVs, boats where lanes are much wider and perfect for C7 doors. Somebody still must stay with the car(s) at all times and watch like a hawk. They still do that if it's a non-peak time ferry. Try to shy away from peak sailings and long weekends and all will be good! The Victoria to Port Angeles Washington ferry is tight; but many cars came up for our Deuce Days event last year and I didn't hear about anyone who cried. Caveat: avoid small gulf islands ferries at all costs where you're packed in like sardines next to Westfalias. Tree hugger walk on passengers wheel their bikes, drag dog leashes and hoist backpacks and kayaks between lanes. :eek: Frickin scary that is! Of course no offense meant if you wear birkenstocks... with socks...

Happy belated birthday ChevyGirl! My mother lives in Nanaimo, so surely I will be out your way at some point, and I would love to meet up with you and your hubby and see your beautiful home and car collection!

I have been to the island a few times in cars and on my bike. I took my 13-year old neice on a 'tour' (haha, we went snooping) on the ferry because she had never seen such a big boat before, and explored every level. It's still absolutely amazing to me that these things float! lol.

I also noticed the fancy rides in the bottom decks and learned this trick many years ago. A motorcycle is even better for crossing. Cheaper, almost always room to get on, and first to get off, too. The island was absolutely amazing on a motorcycle. Cathedral Grove is stunning. I parked my bike in front of a tree that was big enough to be a garage. The ride out to Tofino was great on the bike, but really sucked in the car. Far too much traffic in the summer, and we actually saw several damaged trailers from getting too close to the rocks on some of those corners! lol. Long Beach was pretty awesome too, but holy damn it was cold. At least I got a picture of me with my feet in the Pacific!

Victoria is a beautiful and interesting city. Some lovely old buildings and amazing gardens full of color. All the downtown businesses with covered entrances to shelter you from the rain, and the teen panhandlers looking for handouts with fancy watches and nice shoes and white clothes without a speck of dirt on them. lol. Hell, they saw me and gave me money.

Anyway, happy birthday, and I hope it was awesome! Please do post up some pictures every now and again to keep us in the loop with island fun!

Happy belated birthday ChevyGirl! My mother lives in Nanaimo, so surely I will be out your way at some point, and I would love to meet up with you and your hubby and see your beautiful home and car collection!

I have been to the island a few times in cars and on my bike. I took my 13-year old neice on a 'tour' (haha, we went snooping) on the ferry because she had never seen such a big boat before, and explored every level. It's still absolutely amazing to me that these things float! lol.

Victoria is a beautiful and interesting city. Some lovely old buildings and amazing gardens full of color. All the downtown businesses with covered entrances to shelter you from the rain, and the teen panhandlers looking for handouts with fancy watches and nice shoes and white clothes without a speck of dirt on them. lol. Hell, they saw me and gave me money.

Anyway, happy birthday, and I hope it was awesome! Please do post up some pictures every now and again to keep us in the loop with island fun!
Thank-you for the birthday cheer - and kind words for our crazy stuff collection!

So entertaining to hear you describe places with 'tourist glasses' on. LOL - I think buskers (street performers) and panhandlers easily surpass minimum wage! Check out how many ships we get in port this year:

prod-admin1.glacier.atex.cniweb.net:8080/fileserver/file/989908/filename/d2-vtc02122017.pd

Agreed - it's a super fun island to explore by motorcycle. Also a great way to see the outer gulf islands. I admire people who can pack everthing they need for a long trip into little panniers. That's skill! I used to ride a Kawasaki 660 Ninja; a close call cured that phase. Though honestly, is being behind C1 roadster fibreglass doors any safer? I worry more about our overabundance of deer population hopping out onto roads. Cyclists get bonked all the time!

Be great to meetcha next time you visit! We were just north of Nanaimo this past weekend in the sleepy starfish town of Parksville for their annual antique auto swap.

Have a fabulous summer... and post pics of cruises from your neck of the woods too!

I also noticed the fancy rides in the bottom decks and learned this trick many years ago. A motorcycle is even better for crossing. Cheaper, almost always room to get on, and first to get off, too. The island was absolutely amazing on a motorcycle. Cathedral Grove is stunning. I parked my bike in front of a tree that was big enough to be a garage. The ride out to Tofino was great on the bike, but really sucked in the car. Far too much traffic in the summer, and we actually saw several damaged trailers from getting too close to the rocks on some of those corners! lol. Long Beach was pretty awesome too, but holy damn it was cold. At least I got a picture of me with my feet in the Pacific!

Shhh on the teen panhandler thing ... I just put my ball cap on backwards and wear a scarf ... you are blowing my cover ... darn I forgot to take off my Rolex ... I've got Corvette payments and my fancy hotel bill to pay ... Shhhh

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread