Power User
Beta
Jan 11, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Best answers
Car
Reactions
894 2 0
Just a follow-up to this discussion, a very positive one that has ended on a happy note. Here's the short version:

Took the GS to Syracuse yesterday and had a complete, professional 4 wheel alignment done, including the rear caster. Yes, it was off, substantially, and had to be adjusted using the GM digital angle gauge and adaptor. In fact, it was the improper rear caster settings that were causing the pull to the right. I'm not going to criticize the dealer who did the initial alignment, they did what they could. Unfortunately, the specialty shop's alignment tech spent the majority of the 3.5 hours it took to do the alignment correcting what the dealer had done. Bottom line, the car doesn't pull, the steering wheel is back to center, the back end no longer twitches in fast sweeping corners and I now have a street-friendly set-up on my car. Job done, not cheap but, in my opinion, well worth the time and money spent.

Hope it's alright to mention the shop, Jeffrey' Auto Body, East Taft Road, Syracuse NY. The owner is Jeff Lyman. He owns and tracks a 2015 Z06, with the Z07 package, and is a long time Corvette enthusiast. This shop was recommended by the Syracuse Corvette club's president and I now understand why. They have the right equipment, experienced, knowledgeable staff and they did, for me, what no one else in Southern Ontario could do. Obviously, I recommend them.

After I had committed to going to Syracuse I got a return call from Sean Getty, Getty's Automotive in Ottawa. I had seen reviews and recommendations for this shop from Corvette owners on another forum site. After a short discussion I was convinced that he, also, has the equipment and knowledge to do this job. Had I heard from him a day earlier I'd probably have gone to him. However, no regrets.

Best regards
Ross
Appreciate the detailed review. Glad you got it sorted out.

Tin-can

Casual User
C7 Owner
Jul 16, 2018
kerens, tx, usa
Best answers
Car
Corvette 2018 GS
Reactions
16 0 0
Appreciate the detailed review. Glad you got it sorted out.
My dealer refuses to do anything except factory allignment. I'll live with it until I have to replace tires. Hopefully tire shop will have 4 wheel alignment capability.

ddgermann

Power User
Beta
C7 Owner
Jul 1, 2017
Edmonton
Best answers
Car
2017 3LZ Z06 Z07
Reactions
3,096 11 0
My dealer refuses to do anything except factory allignment. I'll live with it until I have to replace tires. Hopefully tire shop will have 4 wheel alignment capability.

What does that mean exactly? Your dealer will not even check your allignment or they won’t adjust it. I wonder if they have the proper set up for the rear alignment.
Interesting as plenty of owners have had the alignment checked and adjusted by the dealers after a settling period on their new cars. By adjustment I mean corrected to factory specs or moved to a more neutral setting.
This is a hot topic around here.

Tin-can

Casual User
C7 Owner
Jul 16, 2018
kerens, tx, usa
Best answers
Car
Corvette 2018 GS
Reactions
16 0 0
What does that mean exactly? Your dealer will not even check your allignment or they won’t adjust it. I wonder if they have the proper set up for the rear alignment.
Interesting as plenty of owners have had the alignment checked and adjusted by the dealers after a settling period on their new cars. By adjustment I mean corrected to factory specs or moved to a more neutral setting.
This is a hot topic around here.
Dealer will check allignment but will only adjust to factory specs. I'll save a few bucks and live with the factory allignment until symptoms of problem occur.

ddgermann

Power User
Beta
C7 Owner
Jul 1, 2017
Edmonton
Best answers
Car
2017 3LZ Z06 Z07
Reactions
3,096 11 0
Dealer will check allignment but will only adjust to factory specs. I'll save a few bucks and live with the factory allignment until symptoms of problem occur.

You may never have any problems but it’s good to get it checked.
There was some debate as to this being part of the dealer break in service for corvettes that dealers try and avoid.
I do not have the answer to that one but my 17 was not checked as far as I can remember from last fall. Either way it can’t be a bad thing to spend $100 to save the tires.
Replacements for your car are $3000 for the 4 of them.

GM MUSL

May 8, 2018
SW Ont.
Best answers
Car
2015 Corvette Z51
Reactions
1 0 0
Thanks for the info. Was this an issue on the C6 as well, or new to the C7? As far as I know the general suspension setup is similar.

GM MUSL....is your car lowered? I've had no issues on track with my stock alignment/suspension.
Sorry for the late reply. No it is not lowered, but appears lower than some. Dealer said it was correct "Z" height .

GM MUSL

May 8, 2018
SW Ont.
Best answers
Car
2015 Corvette Z51
Reactions
1 0 0
Sorry for the late reply. No it is not lowered, but appears lower than some other C7 Z51 out there. Dealer said it was correct "Z" height . I understand the C6 does not have this issue.

ddgermann

Power User
Beta
C7 Owner
Jul 1, 2017
Edmonton
Best answers
Car
2017 3LZ Z06 Z07
Reactions
3,096 11 0
Sorry for the late reply. No it is not lowered, but appears lower than some other C7 Z51 out there. Dealer said it was correct "Z" height . I understand the C6 does not have this issue.
My 13Z (C6) certainly had a aggressive alignment from the factory. Same hop turning at slow speeds as my C7Zs and there was a thread here last year showing inside edge tire wear on a few generations if I remember correctly.
@MikeysZ06 just had his fronts replaced on his Blues Brothers 07Z and had some funky inside wear as well. They weren’t scrubbed to the cords but he can elaborate as to his alignment and what he found.
I’ve got 7100 km on my 17 now and the tires were off it yesterday. They looked fine but my KMs have been almost all highway this summer so maybe city drives are the nemesis to the tires with this factory alignment. This is a popular subject so likely you will get some good input and examples here.
Who likes dropping 3k on tires after 15,000 km of street driving? Pretty much nobody. :thumbs:

MikeysZ06

Power User
C6 Owner
May 3, 2017
Calgary
Best answers
Car
2007 LeMans Blue Z06
Reactions
2,636 11 0
@MikeysZ06 just had his fronts replaced on his Blues Brothers 07Z and had some funky inside wear as well. They weren’t scrubbed to the cords but he can elaborate as to his alignment and what he found.
No,they weren’t down to the cords but they were on their way that direction. The service guys at Shag did the alignment to the spec sheet that @Jeffer2013 posted awhile back when I had the new fronts mounted. I believe @RockyPM is using these settings as well. So far,I’ve got no complaints. Again,thanks Jeff/Paul.
AD18681D-6CD4-4666-B182-924319361F36.jpeg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)