YFCvii

Power User
Beta
Oct 10, 2016
VetteCoins
Just saw a story on the News that thieves have a way to capture and amplify Key Fobs from inside the house to steal a Car they want on the driveway ... OMG 😱
Simple protection is for people to keep their Key Fobs away from Exterior doors doors ... so goodbye key hooks !!! Another method is a metal box of some sort.
So I am not looking for speculative answers but rather some hard earned knowledge from anyone who knows the best way to protect Key Fobs from being accessed when inside the house. Is there a protective device to block signals.

14C8F0EE-A39C-4544-BCBB-35CBB5F0F577.jpeg

Just saw a story on the News that thieves have a way to capture and amplify Key Fobs from inside the house to steal a Car they want on the driveway ... OMG 😱
Simple protection is for people to keep their Key Fobs away from Exterior doors doors ... so goodbye key hooks !!! Another method is a metal box of some sort.
So I am not looking for speculative answers but rather some hard earned knowledge from anyone who knows the best way to protect Key Fobs from being accessed when inside the house. Is there a protective device to block signals.

View attachment 41897

Amplification has been around for a looong time.
Judging by the hundreds of products on amazon probably quite popular. Faraday cage to the rescue.

Good reminder though. Keep your keys far far away from outside doors.

Amazon product ASIN B07KMYDY49

Amplification has been around for a looong time.
Judging by the hundreds of products on amazon probably quite popular. Faraday cage to the rescue.

Good reminder though. Keep your keys far far away from outside doors.

Amazon product ASIN B07KMYDY49
News was so vague on this recent increase of thefts in the Toronto Area. Is this something GM vehicle owners need to watch for ??? (Report was Mainly reporting this on Fords and Lexus).
“Far far away” ... how far as houses are only so big?

Easiest solution..Don't leave your car in the driveway. Always park in the garage that is locked...Thieves will always take the path of least resistance...If you dont have a garage there are signal blockers you can put your key fobs in when not in use..

Only 2 spots in the garage. Just as much in value in daily drivers on the driveway.
I guess I may have discovered another “venture” if covid whatnot continues to take business away from my existing Company. Develop an easy accessible signal blocking key box/storage for in the house. Perhaps a signal blocking material for in the walls to make a saferoom or closet in the house. I can see the pocket type gizmo being good if like at a hotel/motel. I’d find it a nuisance in prolonged use just like with those steering wheels clubs. Ya ... My thoughts always go bigger picture and with “forget about it” convenience with some things.

Only 2 spots in the garage. Just as much in value in daily drivers on the driveway.
I guess I may have discovered another “venture” if covid whatnot continues to take business away from my existing Company. Develop an easy accessible signal blocking key box/storage for in the house. Perhaps a signal blocking material for in the walls to make a saferoom or closet in the house. I can see the pocket type gizmo being good if like at a hotel/motel. I’d find it a nuisance in prolonged use just like with those steering wheels clubs. Ya ... My thoughts always go bigger picture and with “forget about it” convenience with some things.
You definitely do think big ...

One of the easiest ways is to store them in aluminum foil. Or so I heard.
My Vette is about ten feet away from the keys but the signal will not traverse the brick walls or at least not enough so that I can open the doors.

Don't want to get too paranoid on all this s**t.
At the end of the day , if they want it they will find a way. A well located(hidden) kill switch will do a better job of lulling you to sleep at night
Not paranoid just a thinker ... I sleep well when I forget about stuff. Kill switch is another nuisance unless engineered into the car. I have insurance and can forget about it ... but a nuisance if ever stolen.
It would be nice if we were just able to have something to make it a little harder for thieves that is not a nuisance for us. Afterall Thieves want things simple and quick for taking otherwise they most often just move along fairly quick.

hmmm ... a foil lined drawer/box is a thought if that would do the trick 🤔
The news report I saw mentioned a metal cabinet apparently did not help.
Any thieves out there to comment in it ?😂

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: BDK and ddgermann
I discovered the tin foil trick several years ago and a road trip to Arizona for the winter with my Corvette. Had the spare key in the trunk and found issues locking the car. Wrapped the spare in tin foil and have no problems since.

Reactions: LE BARON
A small box with couple of layers of tin foil or a clean soup can, lined with foil .. just keep the lid and as far away from the car as possible. The credit card scanners don't work well when the card is placed in those wallets they sell on TV, that are lined with some type of metallic material.
Or let a Rottweiler sleep in your car.
🐶

Last edited:
I have a 5 x 3 foot safe in my man cave where I keep all my key fobs and a number of other things. 6 inch thick walls, fire and flood rated, with 8 hardened stainless steel 1.5 inch locking pins. It weighs over 700 pounds empty. Pretty sure they won't get a signal to steal through that and definitely aren't going to throw in on a truck and steal the whole thing.

For the simple-resolve big-thinker, I appreciate the feedback.
I have a fleet of 5 vehicles that seems to just grow.
So these "new/old" trends catch my attention when they start up again.
(I'm counting 13 key fobs here right now ... yoikes)

... on my home "to-do" list is a protected key box as the one I have is out-grown.

For the simple-resolve big-thinker, I appreciate the feedback.
I have a fleet of 5 vehicles that seems to just grow.
So these "new/old" trends catch my attention when they start up again.
(I'm counting 13 key fobs here right now ... yoikes)

... on my home "to-do" list is a protected key box as the one I have is out-grown.
Wonder if a good working refrigerator wouldn't do the job.
You could stock up with beer as well so dual purpose then when you get visitors you can show them your "safe" and discuss it over a glass of brew.

• Haha
Reactions: BDK and Rruuff Day
We have a metal box in a drawer in the house for all our keys..
That is where we get the keys from when we go out, and where they go when we return.
If we go on vacation then we take the keys we need and the box with the remaining keys is hidden somewhere special in the house.
We hope it works. It may have worked and we don’t know it?!?

graham

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread