Aug 14, 2014
Vancouver
VetteCoins
Car
2020 C8 HTC
Province
BC
In Canada our dealer required, at the time of delivery, that we sign a form stating we will not re-sell or export the C8 for 6 months.
The dealer said if we did not sign it they would not sell us the car. And said this is GM Canada's policy, not the dealer's.
We never heard about this form prior to picking the car up.

Yet I see several private C8's for sale across Canada that do not appear to be 6 months old.
And people on various forums planning to immediately flip their car for profit. (I read this applies to US-delivery C8s also?)
How is this possible?

I'm not sure how a form like this could be enforceable in court since once it is sold, it is private property.
Has any one else been required to sign this form & what do you think about it?

Thanks @AxeZ06
To clarify, purchase was a straight retail purchase. No employee discount. No incentives. No discounts of any type.

I later confirmed this GM policy with another Canadian dealer, who confirmed that every C8 buyer in Canada has to sign-off to buy the car.

Last edited:
In Canada our dealer required, at the time of delivery, that we sign a form stating we will not re-sell or export the C8 for 6 months.
The dealer said if we did not sign it they would not sell us the car. And said this is GM Canada's policy, not the dealer's.

Yet I see several private C8's for sale across Canada that do not appear to be 6 months old.
And people on various forums planning to immediately flip their car for profit. (I read this applies to US-delivery C8s also?)
How is this possible?

I'm not sure how a form like this could be enforceable in court since once it is sold, it is private property.
BMW does this also with new vehicle purchase. It's a non-export agreement and if you sign it then it's a legal document and if you break it then you can be held responsible in a court of law. This might be something new for 2021. I signed nothing on my 2020. But I know of a few people that sold their 2020s and were exported to the States and GM has blacklisted them from buying any new GM vehicle for life. So people should be aware.

I too paid full MSRP for my 2020 as did almost all others. I’ve only heard of a couple people who paid less so expect they’re a small minority. Then there are those who paid over MSRP. Anyways, I wasn’t asked to sign any “no resale agreement” but I had a friend who did sign one for an Edmonton dealer saying no sale to anyone else for 12 months AND 12,000 km. I thought that unreasonable especially for a car usually parked much of the year (ie. some might take 2 years to put on 12,000 km) and I questioned if a dealer could require anyone to sign that, when nothing was mentioned at the start of the ordering process. I think dealers asking people to sign this agreement for 2020’s was rare.

But I know of a few people that sold their 2020s and were exported to the States and GM has blacklisted them from buying any new GM vehicle for life. So people should be aware.
Thanks for the info. Were those people who sold to someone in Canada, who then later exported? Or did they sell directly to a US buyer? I would hope that GM would treat the two differently.

Thanks for the info. Were those people who sold to someone in Canada, who then later exported? Or did they sell directly to a US buyer? I would hope that GM would treat the two differently.
Ontario. I know two of them personally. They both sold to a private buyer who in turn exported them to the US. They were both black listed from buying any new future GM vehicle. When they went to place their 2021 orders their names came up as DO NOT SELL and the dealer turned them away. If they dealer puts the order through, the dealership faces repercussions from GM, which they do not want. Their only recourse it to try to fight it somehow.

Reactions: carbuff
Anyways, I wasn’t asked to sign any “no resale agreement” but I had a friend who did sign one for an Edmonton dealer saying no sale to anyone else for 12 months AND 12,000 km.
Thanks for the info.
What happens if a person who buys a new C8 all of a sudden gets sick, loses their job, is moving to anther country, etc. and needs to sell their car before the agreement expires?
I have no plans to sell our car, this is just a hypothetical question, which may affect Canadian buyers and sometimes life gets in the way.

Ontario. I know two of them personally. They both sold to a private buyer who in turn exported them to the US. They were both black listed from buying any new future GM vehicle. When they went to place their 2021 orders their names came up as DO NOT SELL and the dealer turned them away. If they dealer puts the order through, the dealership faces repercussions from GM, which they do not want. Their only recourse it to try to fight it somehow.
Thanks for the info Sparro. All I can says is Wow, that seems harsh. (see my prior post to legit reasons as to why someone may need to sell)

I like it a lot !!! Although it's a weak effort.
I realize it may cost more for GM Canada than what it's worth to enforce it - other than for what they have control of out-of-court.
I have not heard of it being enforced in court.

It is likely only a band-aid effort for a benefit that, if massively abused, may result in a loss-of-benefit and/or draw-back in Canada ... as in allocation constraint - perhaps.
Case-in-Point was the very noticeable cut-off of 2019 ZR1 allocations to Canada when a noticeable number of
Canadian Dealerships & their Customers took initial-factory deliveries and tacked on a $30k+ premium along with a selection process circus for ownership.
Call it what you may ... it was negative marketing and cost a couple of us our ZR1 opportunity. I moved along with my integrity.
The USA got flooded with factory ZR1s as a result so it was rather fortunate for those owners.
I don't like it. Even though it is a weak effort. I am a free market capitalist. Any restriction (public or private) on what I can do with my PRIVATE PROPERTY is a step in the wrong direction. I would tell GM to take their paperwork and use it as an orifice sealant device.

I had a 6mo/12,000km export restriction on my 2017. It was just part of the standard purchase paperwork. It also mentioned that I certified I was not planning on re-selling it within Canada, but it wasn't an actual contractual obligation.

While I'd prefer GM didn't put these restrictions on, I have no fundamental issue with them choosing to do so. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

I am aware of at least one instance that a dealer sold the C8 and it was immediately exported. They lost one allocation for that, even though they were not the exporter.

• Agree
Reactions: YFCvii
Thanks for the info.
What happens if a person who buys a new C8 all of a sudden gets sick, loses their job, is moving to anther country, etc. and needs to sell their car before the agreement expires?
I have no plans to sell our car, this is just a hypothetical question, which may affect Canadian buyers and sometimes life gets in the way.
Carbuff, GM isn't saying you can't sell it, just that you can't buy another one if the car gets exported.

How is this possible?

My dealer offered to help me sell my HTC at a big profit before taking delivery. They did it for another early order guy and made him big $$$$.

Carbuff, GM isn't saying you can't sell it, just that you can't buy another one if the car gets exported.
Here is the thing. What I had to sign was an agreement with GM/dealer, telling me I could not SELL it. No other details. Period. They said nothing (verbally nor on paper) about possibility of GM never selling me another car, ever, if I did sell it. (that is kind of important, right?). And if that is GM policy, that was not communicated to me. I only learned about that from forum comments.

My dealer offered to help me sell my HTC at a big profit before taking delivery. They did it for another early order guy and made him big $$$$.
Glad that worked out for you. What was the dealership's incentive to do that? I am guessing they made some $ points on the resale also? If you made mondo profit, and they did also, what kind of mad money did the buyer pay to get their hands on your car?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.