Feb 5, 2014
london
VetteCoins
Car
2015 Z51 Coupe
Has any one in Canada had the MRC suspension done. I phoned my dealer today and the part number that I got from an American corvette forum was not available in Canada
just wondering if anyone had it done and what was the cost
my car is a 2015 with Z51 option and magnetic ride control.
thanks
bill

The upgrade is for older C7's with the MRC and is to tune the magnetic shocks to be better with cornering and to absorb bumps better in touring and sport modes. The upgrade is software only and has a US part number. My issue was my dealer service rep could find the part number but said it was not available in Canada. I was wondering if anyone knew how to get this upgrade done in Canada. The newer C7's have this new calibration from the factory, so this option is to bring the MRC up to the level of the newer C7's
If I don't hear back from my dealer is there a Canadian number I can call to get some information. In the US forum, lots of owners have had the upgrade done,
thanks Bill

Reactions: ddgermann
The newer C7's don't have this updated calibration package. I found an updated memo on another forum saying that the 2017's update will be available in Q1 of 2018 and other models too.

So the mystery remains around the price they'll want for it in Canada. 350$ is already a lot for a software update, I can't see GM converting this to anything less than 500$ Can,

I think i would do 350$, but not a whole lot higher. We'll see...

If they (GM) found a problem they should offer it FOC while under warranty. But then that would be too much to ask when purchasing a $100K car.

I understand your point, but it's not a problem, it's a refinement.

The car is perfectly driveable as is, this just makes it better.

Driving a 17 Z06 I felt the same way.. why are we paying more!?
This was all well debated in the other thread on this (that I can’t find).
If I remember right this was offered for Pre 2017 cars and the 17 Z51 and Z06 were already upgraded as far a I understood. 18s were not on the radar yet.
So it’s once again a debate as to why customers should pay for a “refinement” on the $140k premium sports car. For my purposes this tune is 99% irrelevant and I’m not likely to be looking for it but I suppose if one was actually racing or just enjoying this car on the track it’s an option they have made available.
This suspension tune will be standard on the ZR1 surely but I guess we have to give GM credit for finding ways to extract the cash out of customers.

JMHO.

D

Reactions: flyboy999
If I remember right this was offered for Pre 2017 cars and the 17 Z51 and Z06 were already upgraded as far a I understood. 18s were not on the radar yet.
So it’s once again a debate as to why customers should pay for a “refinement” on the $140k premium sports car. For my purposes this tune is 99% irrelevant and I’m not likely to be looking for it but I suppose if one was actually racing or just enjoying this car on the track it’s an option they have made available.
This suspension tune will be standard on the ZR1 surely but I guess we have to give GM credit for finding ways to extract the cash out of customers.

JMHO.

D

In case you are still looking for the previous thread Derek.

Chevy Will Make Your C7 Corvette Faster For Just $350

JMHO.

D

Although I understand why they are charging because it's not a "fix" for a "problem", I still find this frustrating that GM would not treat Corvette buyers to some "goodies". Even though I understand they are out to make money, they missed a good opportunity to pleasantly surprise us...

I agree Aramis.... A little perk now and again would be nice but only a small percentage of the 2014 to 2017 C7 owners even care about the mod. But if it were free, every C7 owner out there would have it done... at an enormous cost to GM..... just sayin'....

I agree Aramis.... A little perk now and again would be nice but only a small percentage of the 2014 to 2017 C7 owners even care about the mod. But if it were free, every C7 owner out there would have it done... at an enormous cost to GM..... just sayin'....

True, so they could charge the time to do it (0,3 hours) and i'd be happy... Paying for the new calibration tables is essentially funding their improvements on the next models. Essentially, they found a way to retroactively charge R&D...

Yes Eric I understand this being offered on the Stingray/GS or even lower optioned Z06 as an additional feature the customer can purchase, but the Z07 Z06 or GS was the “track ready” car. GM advertised the car this way and the sales info booklet boasts this aspect.
So this is my only issue with this if my 17 Z06 doesn’t already have this suspension tune.... which apparently it doesn’t.
Just seems gratuitous... but I suppose if we are buying these cars, paying few hundred more is not a showstopper if we actually want the tune.

I understand what you're saying Derek.... but it's not like the cars weren't track ready before.... I wasn't aware of any handling complaints from the base or the Z51 owners who track their cars and the only track complaint from the Z06 owners was the overheating issue... Yes. I agree the suspension tune may make it better for the track but not like anyone before the tune announcement was saying " Wow... I wish GM would come out with a better suspension tune to make my car track ready".... I thought my C6 suspension was great.... and then to climb into the C7 and thinking "this is head and shoulders better than the C6".... I would really like to hear from someone who has had the tune done.... And It looks to me like it only affects the 2014 - 2016 model years...

Magnetic Ride Performance Calibrations Enhance Performance for C7 Corvette Owners

Hi guys, I thought I’d send along a post from a US forum from Corvette's Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter.... too bad I can’t answer Bills original question on “When will it be available in Canada” I too am quite interested for my ‘17 Z06 with Z07 package.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys, I thought I’d send along a post from a US forum from Corvette's Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter.... too bad I can’t answer Bills original question on “When will it be available in Canada” I too am quite interested for my ‘17 Z06 with Z07 package.....

This is a copy of an entry by Car54 on CorvetteForum in response to a question put to Tadge Juechter, Chief Engineeer for GM Corvette. Many thanks to Northern Z (above post) for his finding this. To conform with CCF rules, the relevant forum link was removed.

Car54 asked:
The recent announcement about the availability of improvements in the suspension calibrations for the C7 said this:

"2014-16 Stingray with Z51 features new calibrations in Tour and Sport modes.
2016 Stingray (non-Z51) features new calibrations in Tour, Sport and Track modes.
2015-16 Z06 (non-Z07) features new calibrations in Tour, Sport and Track modes.
2015-16 Z06 with Z07 Performance Package features new calibrations in Tour, Sport and Track modes."

Why was the 2014-2016 Z51 not included in the Track mode updates? The 2017 cars including the GS were not mentioned nor was there a mention about the 2018 cars. Do the 2017-2018 cars including the GS already have the enhanced calibrations or will they be a part of a future update.
Quote:
Tadge answered:
One good thing about this Ask Tadge feature on the Forum is that you don’t just get access to me, but to the whole Corvette team as well as supporting organizations like GM Performance Accessories. Many of you are familiar with Jim Mero, our ride and handling development engineer who developed the calibration upgrade packages being offered through GM Performance Accessories. I asked him to clarify the whole picture in his own words. And here he is:

Before I get into the rollout of the calibration, and the questions asked, some history might be in order in an effort to make a very complicated situation clearer.

I have read through almost all the threads on the Corvette Forum about the MRC aftermarket calibrations. Overwhelming is an understatement. This is a complex situation and deserves a proper answer, which isn’t short.

With Magnetorheological (Magnetic Ride Control/MagneRide/MRC), we continue to learn and improve as we develop our higher performance variants. Over the past year and a half new tools have been created to help us better analyze data recorded on the bench, on the road, and on the track. Utilization of this data analysis was significant during my tuning of the ZR1. While tuning the ZR1 I realized a revolutionary change that not only improved track performance but also ride quality and handling in Tour and Sport. A change so significant I felt obligated to not only roll it into future model years for all MRC Corvettes, but also make it available to all customers already in possession of a 7th generation Corvette with MRC. While I wish we could roll these out immediately for all, it takes a significant amount of work and time to execute each calibration. Tour, Sport, and Track for each Corvette MRC chassis package have their own individual calibrations. None are shared between any 2 variants. All must go the same extensive validation process as a production implementation. All will be part of the 2019 production fitment. Including the ZR1 I revised 21 total new calibrations by September, 2017. The cadence and roll out of the new MRC calibrations for Chevrolet Performance were determined in the order they were completed.

I will try to address/clarify the questions from the “Ask Tadge” post as well as the ones I am already anticipating based on this reply, including the ones that I recently read in forum posts.

Why is there no track calibration offered for Z51?
  • As I stated above, I needed to release 21 calibrations for the 2019 production fitment which include the Chevrolet Performance upgrades. Time allotment was not conducive for the implementation of a Z51 track calibration. A new Z51 track calibration is on my “things to do” list, but my “task at hand” list is much longer.
  • If you’re wondering how could the base car plus F55 (MRC) include a new track calibration but not the Z51, the answer is; like the base car, the base + F55 was never intended to be a track car. So the calibration in track mode is really a hybrid between Sport and Track, something like a Super Sport.
Do the 2017-2018 cars including the GS already have the enhanced calibrations or will they be a part of a future update?
  • Model year 2017 MRC vehicles were the same as 2016 with the exception of the Grand Sports which did reflect a partial representation of the revised tuning philosophy.
  • Also included for 2017 production was a new Track calibration for Z06/Z07 (minus the temperature compensation as discussed below).
  • As I stated above, all 21 2019 production including Chevrolet performance calibrations were completed in September, 2017. This was approximately 8 months after the 2018 calibrations were released for production.
  • When we hit our 2018 production release dates, the progress I made thus far was released for 2018 production in Tour and Sport for: Z51, Grand Sport Base, Grand Sport w/Z07, Z06 Base, and Z06/Z07.
  • So yes, Chevrolet Performance will be offering new calibrations for all 2017 and 2018 MRC equipped vehicles including Grand Sport, expect to see the remaining models released in Q1 2018.
What about the car needing to sit for 8 to 10 hours after the flash?
  • The car can be driven immediately after the flash. It does not have to sit at the dealership. The temperature compensation will not be normalized until the vehicle has sat for 8 to 10 hours. Where and when this happens is irrelevant. When the vehicle sits for 8 to 10 hours, the temperature compensation will then be normalized.

Confusion about the cost to the customer.
  • $350.00 MSRP, which includes the calibration and installation labor.

Confusion about dealer knowledge about the calibrations.
  • I have contacted the Executive Director of Global Accessories/Perf Variants/Parts & Motorsports. After receiving an overwhelming number of questions and seeing the customer feedback on the dealer experience with these, Chevrolet Performance is providing an updated dealer bulletin as quickly as possible.

Now I will attempt to go through each MRC package and give a short explanation of the benefits included in the Chevrolet Performance offerings. Again, each chassis package and mode has its own individual calibrations. None are shared between any of them.

Tour Mode

Model(s)
  • 2016 to 2018 Base+F55
  • 2014 to 2018 Z51
  • 2017 to 2018 Grand Sport
  • 2017 to 2018 Grand Sport w/Z07
  • 2015 to 2018 Z06
  • 2015 to 2018 Z06w/Z07
  • For 2018 (except Base+F55) MRC vehicles, please see footnote
Changes
  • Major Improvements in impact isolation and integration – Impacts are softer, and less harsh. When the vehicle does encounter rough roads, the structural feel is greatly improved.
  • Major improvements in ride motions at all speeds. Much more balanced and less abrupt. The car is more poised in compression and rebound, resulting in a flatter ride. This is not implying stiffer body motions, but the vehicle exhibits more a more composed ride.
  • Parking lot and low speed (25mph and less) the ride motions are more compliant and less jarring.
  • Handling is more responsive and much more precise. The response of the vehicle is more exact reacting to driver steering inputs.
  • For 2018 vehicles (except Base+F55), some of the final improvements being implemented for the MRC upgrades were part of the 2018 production release. Thus the improvements for 2018 vehicles are also very significant but not quite as dramatic as the 2014 to 2017 packages.

Sport Mode

Model(s)
  • 2016 to 2018 Base+F55
  • 2014 to 2018 Z51
  • 2017 to 2018 Grand Sport
  • 2017 to 2018 Grand Sport w/Z07
  • 2015 to 2018 Z06
  • 2015 to 2018 Z06w/Z07
  • For 2018 MRC vehicles (except Base+F55), please see footnote
Changes
  • Sport also has major improvements in Impact isolation and integration. With these new improvements the impact isolation and integration is better than the Tour mode with the original production calibrations. Impacts are softer, and less harsh. When the vehicle does encounter rough roads, the structural feel is greatly improved.
  • Major improvements in ride motions at all speeds. Much more balanced and less abrupt. The car is more poised in compression and rebound, resulting in a flatter ride. The Sport mode exhibits significantly more body motion control that Tour.
  • Handling is more responsive and much more precise. The response of the vehicle is more exact responding to the driver steering inputs weather using Sport mode as a daily driver, or carving through a mountain road.
  • Parking lot and low speed (25mph and less) the ride motions are more compliant and less jarring.
  • For 2018 vehicles (except Base+F55), some of the final improvements being implemented for the MRC upgrades were part of the 2018 production release. Thus the improvements for 2018 vehicles are also very significant but not quite as dramatic as the 2014 to 2017 packages.

Track Mode

Model(s)
  • Grand Sport (FE6) and Z06 (FE6)
Changes
  • The new track mode is better balanced and response to driver inputs are much more linear near and at the limit of adhesion. With the new Track calibration, the redistribution of the damping in the body, wheel, and handling algorithms makes the car more fluid as it is cornered. The rotation of the car is more precise at initial turn in, and maintains its path through the turn. As the driver rolls into the throttle, vehicle heading is better sustained.
  • The new Track calibrations increases driver confidence. This, coupled with the vehicle being better balanced during the cornering maneuvers resulted in an average of a 1 second lap time improvement over the original calibration.
  • Revised temperature compensation tables. As the fluid heated up, during long continuous and repeated runs, sometimes over 100 degrees Celsius (212 degrees Fahrenheit), the damping is effected, not only on an absolute basis, but also the front to rear effecting the balance of the car. New temperature compensation tables were developed to make the balance of the car much more consistent regardless of the damper fluid temperature.
Model(s)
  • Grand Sport w/Z07 and Z06 w/Z07
Changes
  • Both of these foundation Track calibrations are included in 2017 production.
  • The foundation calibrations are solid performers as indicated in the Z06 w/Z07 VIR lap times of 1:55.95 on the full course and 2:39.77 on the Grand Course. The lap times for Grand Sport are 1:59 on the Full Course and 2:45 on the Grand Course.
  • As explained in the Grand Sport FE6 and Z06 FE6 Track mode paragraph, the new temperature compensation tables are now included in these Track calibrations as part of the Chevrolet Performance offerings and 2019 production.

Upon the completion of the track calibrations I rotated several of our track development engineers with different driving styles through the cars. The result is what the best balance is based on each driving style. If more understeer is desired, this can be easily accomplished by purchasing and installing
  • Front Stabilizer bushings (Z51 w/MRC, Grand Sport non Z07, Z06, Z06/Z07) part number 84402110 (available February 2018)
  • Rear Stabilizer bushings (Z51 w/MRC and Z06 w/Z07) part number 23305975
  • The bushings are easy to install and cost about $6.00 each

If even more precision is desired, Chevrolet Performance also offers lower control arms with stiffer bushing.

Well, that’s a long explanation, but it’s a complicated situation which is why we assume the question was over overwhelmingly voted for and asked in the “Ask Tadge” forum.

thanks for that information about all the upgrades and what they will do on various models and model years.
just let us know if anyone has an answer from a Canadian dealer as to when it is available.
I am only an hour from the border and wonder if I can just go to the US and get it done or I suspect I will have issues as it is a Canadian car.

thanks for that information about all the upgrades and what they will do on various models and model years.
just let us know if anyone has an answer from a Canadian dealer as to when it is available.
I am only an hour from the border and wonder if I can just go to the US and get it done or I suspect I will have issues as it is a Canadian car.

Interesting question. I’m sure many of us would like the answer on that too.

Good one.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.