GM Pausing Full-Size Truck Plant to 'Maintain Optimal Inventory Levels'

General Motors is preparing for a two-week shutdown at the Fort Wayne plant that produces roughly 1300 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 and GMC Sierra 1500 trucks each day to "to maintain optimal inventory levels with our dealerships,". Production is up over the past month while demand remains fairly consistent, leading to an increase in unsold inventory on the dealer lots.

who would of thought that the demand would be so low for the 2 of the top 10 selling vehicles in North America? I think this is a big red flag for the economy.

Lol.... The demand is high for the pickups... GM doesn't give 2 $hits about how long you are waiting whether it's for a C8 or a Silverado... As long as they keep supply less than demand, they will always maintain a long waiting list at dealers all over and multitudes of buyers that are #63 on a list and foaming at the mouth for when their number comes up. Marketing strategy at it's best... JMO

Lol.... The demand is high for the pickups... GM doesn't give 2 $hits about how long you are waiting whether it's for a C8 or a Silverado... As long as they keep supply less than demand, they will always maintain a long waiting list at dealers all over and multitudes of buyers that are #63 on a list and foaming at the mouth for when their number comes up. Marketing strategy at it's best... JMO
Yes they can only build what they can. The world has changed.

• Agree
Reactions: Dik and Rruuff Day
I took delivery of my 2023 Denali HD 3500 two weeks ago. Ordered October 18/22. Built December 5/22. Delivered Feb12/23. Seemed normal to me. Maybe 2500/3500 trucks are different from a supply/demand perspective.

I took delivery of my 2023 Denali HD 3500 two weeks ago. Ordered October 18/22. Built December 5/22. Delivered Feb12/23. Seemed normal to me. Maybe 2500/3500 trucks are different from a supply/demand perspective.
Thought you were a Dodge guy Al? Hopefully it's at least a diesel....

Thought you were a Dodge guy Al? Hopefully it's at least a diesel....
It’s an oil burner for sure. Dodge hasn’t kept up to GM in the tech department with the hd trucks. Heads up display, surround view mirrors, trailer cameras, multi-pro tailgate, and a few other things. Love the Cummins but…

At least it’s not a Ford..….:bsmile:

hey truck guys, please educate me why people choose ford vs ram vs chevy/gmc when it comes to 1500 pick ups. Ford f150 is the top selling truck every single year, but why? its seems that Ram 1500 has the best ride and comfort, and GM 6.2L V8 is better than compatition.

in Canada top the line F150 starts at 105,000, while Silverado starts at 95,000, and RAM starts at 85,000 so why do people over pay for F150?

All jokes aside they all make nice trucks. Not sure about your pricing as I would have to compare trim levels. Ford offers the eco boost 6 cylinder as their big motor, obviously Ram offers the hemi (they do have the baby Cummins as well) and GM offers a V8 or the 3.0 Duramax. Ford and GM are farther ahead in the tech game but Ram’s interior is the nicest. Ford does brag however about their aluminum frame. Not sure if that is important but it does eliminate weight.

To me it comes down to features and local dealer support.

The HD trucks is where we start seeing the bigger differences and choice and preferences become important. Ram has the Cummins, which in my opinion is the top diesel today. However the Ram truck is way behind in the tech department, not offering HUD or the the surround view camera system etc. Ford has the biggest pulling numbers and are now bragging about being able to haul up to 35k I think. I just bought a 2023 factory ordered GMC Ultimate Denali 3500HD and the difference in price between similarly equipped Ford or Ram was inside $1500. I liked the Cummins but really liked the enhanced tech GM was offering and I don’t mind the 6.6 Duramax. As well I really like the 10 speed transmission in the GM. Ford hauled more but that wasn’t important to me and I am not a fan of the Powerstroke. Ram still only offers a 6 speed transmission in their HD trucks.

Again they all make nice trucks. It really depends on your needs and finding the truck that meets those needs.

FYI, trucks cost more than C8’s…

Last edited:
Reactions: 12cents and DenisC8
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.