GM isn't getting the complaints. The readers of "GM Authority" (catchy name, but it's neither GM nor THE authority on GM) are the ones who have mentioned it to GM Authority. I've heard those same comments from friends who own the prior generations of Corvette. When driving my C8, I always waved and sometimes didn't get a return wave...even from Corvette drivers that were in earlier generations. So it's hit and miss. I suspect that many of the C8 owners who don't wave, are new to the brand so they're unaware of this tradition. I always encourage anyone I talk to that owns a Corvette, to join either a local Corvette Club or a reputable Corvette Forum on the Web like this one, or better yet do both, so they're better educated about Corvettes in general and traditions like "save the wave". I hope all of you similarly recommend fellow Corvette owners join up. There's a wealth of info to be had on CCF.

There's a couple reasons in my opinion. A large percentage of C8 owners are driving a cheap wannabe Lambo, Ferrari, or McLaren and have no connection to the Corvette comradery tradition. To be fair, that's not all of them and I have garnered a wave from some, but many don't even turn a head. Hell, I flick lights at Corvettes on a 4 lane divided and separated highway and definitely wave whenever I meet a Corvette any closer. The part about the older generation of Corvettes not waving for lots of C8 drivers is an easy answer.... hmmmmm.... Is that a Corvette... A Lambo... a McLaren....a Porsche...Woosh... it has already gone by.... For me, I wave at all of them but to be honest, I never get a wave from any of those other three.... Such is the Corvette tradition... Something that the others will never have...

Bom Dia Reaction GIF

There's a couple reasons in my opinion. A large percentage of C8 owners are driving a cheap wannabe Lambo, Ferrari, or McLaren and have no connection to the Corvette comradery tradition. To be fair, that's not all of them and I have garnered a wave from some, but many don't even turn a head. Hell, I flick lights at Corvettes on a 4 lane divided and separated highway and definitely wave whenever I meet a Corvette any closer. The part about the older generation of Corvettes not waving for lots of C8 drivers is an easy answer.... hmmmmm.... Is that a Corvette... A Lambo... a McLaren....a Porsche...Woosh... it has already gone by.... For me, I wave at all of them but to be honest, I never get a wave from any of those other three.... Such is the Corvette tradition... Something that the others will never have...
Exactly 💯 👍

• Agree
Reactions: Paul C7 to C8
I find that it’s about 50%. I met a C8 owner at a gas station one afternoon last summer. He asked why I didn’t flash my headlights back at him after he did a few minutes prior. I walked him to the front of the 72 went back and pulled the headlight knob. He understood immediately and we laughed about it. He was unaware of the wave.

It has perhaps become a time where differences have become noticeable between those who merely own a corvette and those who also had to earn it. It’s too bad for those who also feel they are being painted with the same brush … (jmo)

Still looking for a returned C8 wave - maybe this year …

It is my understanding that flashing one’s lights can now earn a citation from a cop with an agenda/quota. Have not tested that of course … therefore, whether returned or not, just sticking to the thumbs-up, the wave or the Hawaiian hang-loose. 👋🏻🙂👍🏻🙂🤙🏻

Last edited:
This has been talked about quite a bit since the arrival of the C8. Times are changing, C8 has brought a different type of owner with it for the most part and the wave it appears is dying off with it

• Agree
Reactions: 1 BAD 9T9
I wave to a lot of drivers these days. I find when I am in the big city now I am waving more often to Dodge/Honda/Toyota mini-vans who go from the outside lane to the exit ramp in a span of less than 100'. I definitely wave at them.
I use to 'wave' at minivans that drove like that too but am a little more careful these days.... Ya just never know anymore what's under that sunroof....

1651847894004.png

I won’t be waving from my C8. Lot’s of other interesting cars out there that see no need to wave. Corvettes are nice cars and that’s good enough for me.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread