Casual User
Aug 23, 2015
Orillia
VetteCoins
Car
1966 coupe
Province
ON
Just wondering if anyone has priced out an air filter for the GM performance ( Jake ) intake # 84689752
I was speaking with a fellow in the parts dept at Wilson-Niblett and he said the filter is not serviceable and the replacement is over $250 from GM.# 84689751
I did speak to K & N and they are aware of this filter but have no retro fit to their product.
The recommended service interval is 15,000 miles from the installation manual.
Does anyone have any other ideas or filter suggestions.

Just wondering if anyone has priced out an air filter for the GM performance ( Jake ) intake # 84689752
I was speaking with a fellow in the parts dept at Wilson-Niblett and he said the filter is not serviceable and the replacement is over $250 from GM.# 84689751
I did speak to K & N and they are aware of this filter but have no retro fit to their product.
The recommended service interval is 15,000 miles from the installation manual.
Does anyone have any other ideas or filter suggestions.
Kipp Scott appears to have both. Usually best pricing I can find anywhere

Screenshot_20210122-153733.png

I ended up ordering a performance filter from Burger Motorsports as they address the exact filter for the GM performance system ( although not a washable unit) and also claim some better performance. ( $99.00 USD)
I called the folks at Attack Blue and they are aware of this filter but have been working on filters for the C-8 line. They may circle back and work on this special filter. From what I've been reading... the original GM filter on regular air filter boxes are really not that great. So you may want to look at the Attack Blue ( dry filter) or a K& N (oiled filter) as a good alternative. And have that added benefit of washing the filter every season.

Just an update. I did order the Burger Motorsport air filter for the GM performance filter box ( Jake). The GM performance air filter is on the right and the new Burger filter is on the left. Burger claims a little better performance because of the size.... Who knows.
Still disappointed that both are not serviceable / washable.

Attachments

• IMG_20210215_1135050.jpg
    IMG_20210215_1135050.jpg
    399.9 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20210215_1135531.jpg
    IMG_20210215_1135531.jpg
    423.3 KB · Views: 52
You are probably better off not using a washable/reusable oil filter , have read many reviews about the problems with having oil in the filter messing with the mass flow air sensor readings ...maybe that’s why they don’t offer one , just one(or other’s people ) opinion, I have a stock unit as don’t want to void warranty.( want to use AFE CAI)

Reactions: mracer11
You are probably better off not using a washable/reusable oil filter , have read many reviews about the problems with having oil in the filter messing with the mass flow air sensor readings ...maybe that’s why they don’t offer one , just one(or other’s people ) opinion, I have a stock unit as don’t want to void warranty.( want to use AFE CAI)
👆

Agree, it does not happen very often, but, if your overly oil happy the excess oil could foul up your MAF. I stopped using the reusable (air) oil filters a few years back.... they are a bit of a PITA also...

All good points.
K & N of course does offer the oiled version for regular air filter boxes and Attack Blue (and others) offer a washable non oiled version.
I'll run with the Burger filter this summer and see how it goes. Thanks

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.