Vancouver
VetteCoins
Car
2020 C8 HTC
Province
BC
GM Essential Maintenance Plan - transmission fluid change question:

Purchased the GM Maintenance Plan.
Now due for a transmission fluid change at 3 years age.

Need definitive answer on this please, as no dealer I spoke with can verify.

Car is 3 years old, and has already had the CANISTER filter replaced at 12k km, which was 3K km ago.

Does the “Transmission fluid change” include a) canister filter change, and b) the larger pan filter change.

Either, both, or none?

Who has had this done under the plan where they replaced filters, and if so, which ones were included?

Please help!

GM Essential Maintenance Plan - transmission fluid change question:

Purchased the GM Maintenance Plan.
Now due for a transmission fluid change at 3 years age.

Need definitive answer on this please, as no dealer I spoke with can verify.

Car is 3 years old, and has already had the CANISTER filter replaced at 12k km, which was 3K km ago.

Does the “Transmission fluid change” include a) canister filter change, and b) the larger pan filter change.

Either, both, or none?

Who has had this done under the plan where they replaced filters, and if so, which ones were included?

Please help!
I had my "large filter" changed under the plan. Should they have? I have no idea. It says permanent on tech link so does it matter either way? As long as you don't have to pay.

If that is the case Murray (and thanks for the info), the new questions are:

1. What does "permanent" mean? For example, earlier GM cars with a THD350 I worked on had screen mesh trany fluid pan filters that were "permanent".
But they still needed removal and washout when the fluid was changed. Yes, the permanent filter still needed flushing/cleaning.

So does the C8 pan filter need periodic cleaning also? In which case GM may as well replace it instead of spending labor cleaning it.

2. For others who may have had this done, did they drop the pan or just "flush" the trany with new fluid without dropping the pan, as one dealer suggested to me, even after I explained this is a fluid "replacement", not just flushing old fluid thru the canister filter.

And if the later, what the hell does that mean? Mixing old fluid with new as it circulates via "flushing"? The trany fluid for this vehicle is not regular cheap ATF, so should not be mixed new with old. And too expensive to "flush" gallons thru it and contaminate the new stuff going in. Thank God I bought GMPP for the longest time interval available.

Yikes! Another GM mystery that even the dealers have not been cleared on. Anyone know of a TBS, home office letter, or anything else that could clear this up?

• Useful
Reactions: 1st Vette
If that is the case Murray (and thanks for the info), the new questions are:

1. What does "permanent" mean? For example, earlier GM cars with a THD350 I worked on had screen mesh trany fluid pan filters that were "permanent".
But they still needed removal and washout when the fluid was changed. Yes, the permanent filter still needed flushing/cleaning.

So does the C8 pan filter need periodic cleaning also? In which case GM may as well replace it instead of spending labor cleaning it.

2. For others who may have had this done, did they drop the pan or just "flush" the trany with new fluid without dropping the pan, as one dealer suggested to me, even after I explained this is a fluid "replacement", not just flushing old fluid thru the canister filter.

And if the later, what the hell does that mean? Mixing old fluid with new as it circulates via "flushing"? The trany fluid for this vehicle is not regular cheap ATF, so should not be mixed new with old. And too expensive to "flush" gallons thru it and contaminate the new stuff going in. Thank God I bought GMPP for the longest time interval available.

Yikes! Another GM mystery that even the dealers have not been cleared on. Anyone know of a TBS, home office letter, or anything else that could clear this up?
Good questions, but if your dealer does the service then they are responsible for doing what is or is not right. Sure if they fuk up it would cost you time with your car, but not money. They'd be responsible. I'd let them decide on what's right.

DCT 3 year fluid change is stand alone whether under the Essential Care Maintenance Plan or paying out of pocket. So, unless your vehicle is also at the kms for the hydraulic system flush/DCT canister change (also a stand alone service charge) expect only the tranny fluid drained and refilled. With some service departments still or maybe never getting up to speed on the proper recommended GM service procedures on our cars. The bottom located flat DCT filter will likely remain a conversation piece. GM can always add a service protocol for it based on DCT service history including failures but that is not today. I too have seen that GM print lists it as permanent but if your dealer service work invoice shows it being replaced I wouldn’t loose any sleep. I can tell you that its replacement does not show up on the 1-10 year required parts/fluid list.

OK, but what does "permanent" mean? My 1979 Monza Spyder also had a "permanent" pan filter. But it required periodic servicing.
Trany magnets are permanent also, but require wipedown service on fluid change.

I too note that the pan filter does not show up on the owners manual maintenance intervals list. Whatever that is supposed to signify :0

But interestingly and conversely, the front lift fluid DOES require periodic changing as per the maintenance list, but is NOT included in the Essential Maintenance Plan. So is it not "essential"? You know what I mean, LOL! Confusing stuff.

OK, but what does "permanent" mean? My 1979 Monza Spyder also had a "permanent" pan filter. But it required periodic servicing.
Trany magnets are permanent also, but require wipedown service on fluid change.

I too note that the pan filter does not show up on the owners manual maintenance intervals list. Whatever that is supposed to signify :0

But interestingly and conversely, the front lift fluid DOES require periodic changing as per the maintenance list, but is NOT included in the Essential Maintenance Plan. So is it not "essential"? You know what I mean, LOL! Confusing stuff.
Rick Conti's tech wiped down the magnets in the filter. Perhaps that is all that's required. I'd watch that video and take it with a grain of salt.

• Agree
Rick Conti's tech wiped down the magnets in the filter. Perhaps that is all that's required. I'd watch that video and take it with a grain of salt.
@ Rick Contrary…. I’m surprised you got far enough past his ramblings to actually find something out , lol .

• Agree
Reactions: Murray20c8
@ Rick Contrary…. I’m surprised you got far enough past his ramblings to actually find something out , lol .
That's the nice thing about the time bar. Drag the time in the video until you see something useful.... occasionally ;)

• Clever
His tech wiped down the magnets in the PAN. I think he replaced the PAN filter also. Did not get any useful info from the video, as it does not answer my question.

There must be a 100,000+ C8 owners now, but nobody seems to have posted what to do, judging by the threads I read on various Corvette forums.