Here is his further explanation.

Mid Engine C8 Corvette – Jim’s Response

JimMero said:
Hello everyone.

Originally, I was just going to keep my mouth shut relative to reports about my comments on the mid-engine platform in general and the challenges the C8 will need to overcome to be the best Vette yet.

I believe those who have listened to both podcasts realize that, in my mind, every generation of corvette was better than the generation before, and the C8 will be no different.

On the Overcrest podcast, I will admit I could have used a better word than “worried”. But in an interview, you can’t cut and paste. Naturally, I listened to the podcast several times and until yesterday had no idea it would generate so much publicity. I’ll try to go through my thought process at the time of the Overcrest Podcast then forever hold my peace.

When I said I was worried about the C8, every example I gave was for every mid-engine car I drove except the C8. I said I told my boss we would have to reinvent the wheel and do it better. I never alluded to the fact we didn’t.

I also mentioned to Tadge when the conception of the C8 was in process, as far as I can recall, the C7 beat most if not all the mid-engine cars with comparable weight and HP it was pitted against. Again, the need to engineer the car better than its competitors, with no reference to the fact we didn’t.

During my 15 years on the Corvette, I’ve attended countless shootouts. One example was the 2017 Road and Track Performance Car of the Year with the C7 Grand Sport. The competition was stiff. It included:
  1. The Acura NSX
  2. Audi R8 V10 plus
  3. BMW M4 GTS
  4. Jaguar F-type SVR
  5. Lotus Evora 400
  6. Mercedes AMG C63 S
  7. Nissan GT-R Nismo
  8. Porsche 911 Turbo S
We were at the NCM racetrack. I can’t remember the drivers name, but he chose to drive the Grand Sport first. He did 2 or 3 laps, laid down a time and brought it in. Going first is an unfavorable position, because any driver will go faster the more laps he lays down. Nonetheless the Grand Sport beat every car except for the 911 Turbo S.

The 911 was the final car driven, let me tell you, I can’t remember how many laps he did, but 10 or 15 is not an exaggeration. He would run 1 or 2, then cool down and go back at it. Clearly, he felt the 911 Turbo S should theoretically beat the Grand Sport. Finally it did, by a few hundredths of a second.

I felt compelled to provide this example just to put into context my thought process leading to my opinion of having to engineer the C8 better than its competition. I will say again, never stating that it didn’t.

And…..Relative to the golf clubs, really, that’s just a personal preference for Jim Mero. It’s no different than saying I prefer a Silverado over a Colorado because it has better utility. It was not a dig on the C8, it was simply a statement of what I desire in a sports car for me. Nothing more, nothing less.

I’m not sure if this provided clarity for any of you. I would encourage you to listen to both podcasts, Overcrest episode 110 starting at about 53 minutes and Speed Secrets episode 123 starting at about 43 minutes. I hope then things will become clear.

I will reiterate one more time, each generation of the Corvette has been better than the generation before, and the C8 will be no different.

Thank you for your time,
Jim

Tags: None

Awesome. I knew about the GS holding its own against all comers which further tells me that my C7 is an awesome car - period. Thanks for the full meal deal Zora the great!!! Should I buy the C8 - first on list at my dealer - down payment processed already?

I personally am buying a C8 — excitedly so. But I sure have not clue what anyone else should do. However, as we are literally on 22 days away from a car that could well look like a $250,000+ exotic, handling beyond belief, cost about $62K U.S. to start, have around 500 HP/TQ, a DCT standard, all the safety systems our C7’s do not, and have some nice additional upside surprises, I would recommend you hold off making any decision for that 22 additional days.

I personally am buying a C8 — excitedly so. But I sure have not clue what anyone else should do. However, as we are literally on 22 days away from a car that could well look like a $250,000+ exotic, handling beyond belief, cost about $62K U.S. to start, have around 500 HP/TQ, a DCT standard, all the safety systems our C7’s do not, and have some nice additional upside surprises, I would recommend you hold off making any decision for that 22 additional days.
I was being a little sarcastic on that question. I have read/seen the order sheet for the C8: as you say - many more features than the current C7 including a plethora of colors. I believe the car will be over 500HP - I heard 530; 30 or 50 HP is neither here nor there though; and at a crazy reasonable price.

Reactions: Zora
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.