Regular
Mar 14, 2014
Hamilton
VetteCoins
Car
2008-Z06/2002/1974
GM Begins Work on New Performance and Racing Center

by Bruce Troxell on May 2, 2014

General Motors announced this week that they have begun construction of a state-of-the-art facility for race engine design and development that will also include an electric motor laboratory and a gear center. The new building is expected to be opened and in use by mid-2015 and completed by early 2016.

The Center represents GM

This is great news. Normally you hear about a manufacturer (GM itself has a history of this) pulling out of racing. It's about time, amd to have a dedicated facility....fantastic! You know, I'm not a fan of hybrids. I instantly think of a Prius and it really makes me sick. After watching video after video and reading article after article about the McLaren P1 and the Porsche 918 Spyder I really think it's amazing how much performance manufacturers are gaining! These are supercars that get crazy mpg's and can be switched to zero emissions! Don't get me wrong. From a green thinking only point of view, it's ass backwards. The carbon footprint from any hybrid is huge! Just the process of battery manufacturing and development has a huge environmental impact. Not to mention we haven't reached a point yet where we have to deal with the disposal of these batteries!
As government legislation pushes for more efficient vehicles this is a temporary step in the right direction and at least for us speed freaks...there's hope.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Last fall on a 200 mile round trip to Bracebridge, we got 35.1 mpg on our stock 2005 six speed. The Vararam intake is the only change to the car but we had recorded a 34.9 mpg before the change. They just keep improving the drivetrains. I never would have dreamed that we would be getting triple the mileage of our old musclecars which were generally in the 10-12 mpg range.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.