Aug 25, 2019
Edmonton
VetteCoins
Car
2015 2LT Z51
Province
AB
Hi all. When I first bought my C7, my brother in law suggested that I get separate glass insurance, not included on my main policy. I checked into it and my broker said that if I had it on my main policy and had a glass claim, it would be the same as having an accident, potentially causing my rate to go up, but if I had a separate policy from a glass insurance company, it would not count against my main policy. I decided to get it from a company called AMI. Well, low and behold, a couple of weeks ago, while washing the car, I noticed a 4” crack on the drivers side, near the roof line. It was in the black area of the glass, and extremely noticeable in that area. So, I went to Crystal Glass, who handle AMI claims, and they were not able to repair it, saying that the crack was not on the outside, but instead was inside. Long story short, they had to replace the windshield, which there was no aftermarket ones in their inventory, so they had to replace it with one right from GM. I got the work done yesterday, and my baby is back to being crack free. I was somewhat shocked how easy it was to deal with AMI, and am glad I ponied up for the extra insurance ($180/yr). I asked the receptionist at Crystal Glass how much this would have cost me if it wasn’t insured, and she said about $1400! That would be a hard pill to swallow if I had to pay for it just because of that crack…I may have just left it, and cringed every time I saw the crack.
I do have one issue, though. I made sure my HUD is still visible, which it is, but I think it might be ever so slightly out of focus. I am not positive, as I rarely looked at it before the issue, but the edges of the information seem a bit off. Does anyone know if this is adjustable?
Dale.

• Informative
Reactions: Black 03 Z06
Can't help with your HUD question (sorry) however in relation to glass:

-I've not purchased private insurance however $180/yr seems expensive, unless you're in an area that's prone to serious rock chips causing bad cracks. For example I usually need a new windshield replacement once every 6 or 7 years, if then. Some say that Edmonton qualifies with its roads however I think it depends on where you do your driving and when. For a sports car, I park it during the winter months and don't start driving it until the Spring when the roads have been swept, so a ruined windshield is less likely
-having said that, I'd glad it worked out for you Dale124
-I used to put glass insurance on all my vehicles until I found out once you make a claim, you more than pay it back afterwards with increased premiums. So much so, my broker suggested I cancel my glass insurance immediately after making a claim, to avoid that increased premium. So it didn't count as an over-all claim against my policy, but rather something restricted to glass coverage. Insurers may handle this differently so best to find out by asking your broker-but having said that, glad it worked out for you
-in the past, I've found that glass repair outfits have a 2-tiered pricing system: one price for an insurer and another for an individual personally paying. Keep that in mind when asking for a quote
-finally, I've since done away with any type of glass coverage on my vehicles...except I did put it on my 2020 C8 due to concerns about the price of a replacement on a newly designed vehicle and the likely unavailability of a lower priced generic one

Something to consider. Hope this helps others. Here's wishing you and everyone luck avoiding future rock strikes!

Can't help with your HUD question (sorry) however in relation to glass:

-I've not purchased private insurance however $180/yr seems expensive, unless you're in an area that's prone to serious rock chips causing bad cracks. For example I usually need a new windshield replacement once every 6 or 7 years, if then. Some say that Edmonton qualifies with its roads however I think it depends on where you do your driving and when. For a sports car, I park it during the winter months and don't start driving it until the Spring when the roads have been swept, so a ruined windshield is less likely
-having said that, I'd glad it worked out for you Dale124
-I used to put glass insurance on all my vehicles until I found out once you make a claim, you more than pay it back afterwards with increased premiums. So much so, my broker suggested I cancel my glass insurance immediately after making a claim, to avoid that increased premium. So it didn't count as an over-all claim against my policy, but rather something restricted to glass coverage. Insurers may handle this differently so best to find out by asking your broker-but having said that, glad it worked out for you
-in the past, I've found that glass repair outfits have a 2-tiered pricing system: one price for an insurer and another for an individual personally paying. Keep that in mind when asking for a quote
-finally, I've since done away with any type of glass coverage on my vehicles...except I did put it on my 2020 C8 due to concerns about the price of a replacement on a newly designed vehicle and the likely unavailability of a lower priced generic one

Something to consider. Hope this helps others. Here's wishing you and everyone luck avoiding future rock strikes!
I don’t have extra glass insurance and with the first 3 months of owning my C8, I was on the highway and a rock caused a huge crack in the windshield. I had to replace it the cost for a factory windshield was $1850! My deductible is $2000, so had
to pay out of pocket (ouch!). I’m definitely looking into some type of extra coverage!

• Wow
I don’t have extra glass insurance and with the first 3 months of owning my C8, I was on the highway and a rock caused a huge crack in the windshield. I had to replace it the cost for a factory windshield was $1850! My deductible is $2000, so had
to pay out of pocket (ouch!). I’m definitely looking into some type of extra coverage!
Did you have to get it from a dealer? Usually Speedy will give a discount if you are not going through insurance.

Just a comment on the HUD. My brother replaced his windshield on his Accord and noticed the HUD was out of focus. He complained and, after a couple of replacement tries, the installer finally admitted they used an after market supplier. Installer finally got a Honda original windshield and problem was solved. Suggest you should confirm you are getting a GM original replacement.

• Informative
Reactions: Murray20c8
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.