I got some spruce gum on the paint and back glass of our Corvette. What works best at getting the gum off without hurting the paint? Thanks.

Keith what i would do is use car wash soap of your choice in very warm water apply with a clean microfiber towel then dry it and use your quick detail spray.Or come by for coffee and i will fix it up for you.

Kent

Well, Google this one first but WD-40 has been great at taking off road tar from my truck's paint with no damage. (After removing tar, I hand wash to get rid of the WD). I'm assuming this would also work on the spruce gum. But, with that said, that was the pewter paint on my truck. I haven't don't this to the Pewter paint on the Vette yet.

Something you might want to try...WD40...it is fish oil and I used to use it on all my vehicles to get off crap, mostly rebadging as it makes it a piece of cake without hurting ANY paint ever whatsoever. Actually, I used it on the trip as the plastic melted to the trunk inside panelling of the Vette while we were driving. I had plastic bag melted right to the inside trunk lid. A little bit of WD40 on a rag and it just came off which surprised the heck out of me...no marks or damage whatsoever...looked brand new.

That falls in line with a few old tricks...other is Pledge Orange... I have used Pledge on my motorcycle paint for years and have never once waxed them. I swear by it but haven't had the heart to try it on the XPEL yet. Pledge fills in the small swirls, leaves a very wet look and there is no wax build up ever with it.... As well, it works great on plastic and clear motorcycle shields.

Well, Google this one first but WD-40 has been great at taking off road tar from my truck's paint with no damage. (After removing tar, I hand wash to get rid of the WD). I'm assuming this would also work on the spruce gum. But, with that said, that was the pewter paint on my truck. I haven't don't this to the Pewter paint on the Vette yet.
I've read that too Riley -- WD is good for so many things including that.
C.

I had the same problem. I got it cleaned off with a bit of heat from a heat gun then micro polished and re-waxed the area. That sh!t is nasty stuff!
When I was framing houses that was a dirty trick to play on other's.
When ever we had the chance and found a pitch pocket on a 2X12 or what ever we would smear the pitch on their hammer handle. lol

Bill

Good to hear a second vote for the WD. I had no idea about the Pledge. Great tip Les.

Has to be Pledge orange though as Pledge Lemon attracts Bees by the hive full...terrible to have bees flying around your nice clean motorcycle and they don't want to let you near....although that is a neat thought for a security system.

I got at the job this morning. WD40 helped along with some fine polish and the gum finally is gone. A couple of layers of wax and the car is looking decent again. It's not a good idea to park under any tree but some are a lot worse than others. Had the car sat all day under that blue spruce, I would have had a huge mess on my hands. Thanks for the suggestions guys, they were appreciated.

Great news! Funny about how some trees are worse than others. We have a tree right out the front door of our place. It never left sap before but this year, even after an hour or so, there would be tiny clear drops all over the car. I noticed a month later that the pavement and street around the tree had a dark, almost wet look to it. Yuck. Glad we don't have to park near that thing.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.