RC1

Casual User
Jul 9, 2011
Stettler,AB
VetteCoins
Car
1965 & 1961
Just about have a 65 back on the road after sitting for 38 ish years.
Watched this car as a kid 40 years ago was able to purchase it Nov.,2014 off the same owners
It was painted in the 70s and the paint is so, so but staying for now
Odometer shows 59,000 miles but powertrain had more old thick hard oil caked to it, than I have seen on anything ever.
I did get it running but everything looked to need a rebuild everywhere I looked suspension bushings shot, broken motor mount, rusty battery tray, old front end damage. And so much old oil caked on pretty sure valves covers etc., had to be leaking since 66, ha,ha
But is all numbers matching, so decided to pull the powertrain, which is a 327cid, 350hp version with a four speed. The plan is I want to put some serious miles on the car and then take it all apart and go after a NCRS top flight.
So that being the plan the original powertrain was going under the bench .....and I rebuilt another 327 CID with the same specs, forged 11-1 Pistons,camel bump heads ,intake , I did put a mechanical flat tappet in it thou like the sound, etc, and rebuilt another Muncie 4 speed with centre force clutch and rebuilt the factory rear diff. This way I can drive it like I stole it if the urge arises.
I redid all the rear diff, sand blasted all the suspension parts and installed all new bushings, ball joints, tie rods, shocks, brakes, etc.
Also new fuel tank , radiator and several misc., small items.
I finished the motor, broke it in on the dyno and just installed it all in the car this week.
With lots of help from the guys that work for me we got it all in the car the past week, next week finish hooking things up then installing factory side pipes and knock offs.
Then back on the road after 38 ish years
Still lots to do needs a new carpet, etc,etc., but mechanically should be ready for some miles, plus I have a daughter getting married on May 28th and they want to drive away from the church in it.........so it helped to get this project pushed along or it would still be a pile of parts right now.
I will post some pictures this week.
And Thank you ....... Canadian Corvette Forum for giving us a place to share our passions.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    234.2 KB · Views: 71
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    207.1 KB · Views: 68
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    295.5 KB · Views: 69
RC1....
What a great story of patience.... 40 years!
Storing the original motor/trans is a great idea.
It takes that worry away when you are 'having fun'....!!
I too love the colour.

Good luck with the remainder of the build, and congrats on the wedding.
Happy Birthday ..!!!!!
Graham

Last edited:
I'd love to have a late model C2 to work on ... actually spend money to get worked on. I saw one that had the physical appearance of a 67 but all the newest parts of a modern car. Now that would be something. Awesome car, enjoy it.

Hey Don
Ya I remember it when I walked to school when I was 10-11 years old I thought it also was a thing of beauty and never forgot later stayed in touch with him to let him know I would like to buy when he was ready to sell.
Funny thou you remember this perfect beautiful car.........,ya it was in need of serious love, it's correct numbers and all and I have gm documentation but I see where it has had a couple big battle scars from several years ago I assume and I am finding a little more info out on it from people that remember it from years ago so it appears to have been in one good acciedent and I have found signs of that .But to me it just adds a little character and I don't like buying them perfect but enjoy making them perfect, so it should be fun.
Thanks for the congrats

Reactions: NW-99SS
That is awesome! What a great story and build. I like that you're planning on driving and enjoying it.
My only question with the flat tappet cam is what sort of oil are you using as modern oils have low zinc and have been known to flatten a cam within a few thousand miles (I'm sure this is a extreme case).
In my Chevelle I used EOS (Engine oil Supplement?) from the dealership that has a lot of zinc for the old motors.

Wow. You will enjoy that car to its fullest. Top Flight is a challenging task and I would love to see your process posted when you do get to it. It is a beauty for sure.

I noticed you are in Stettler. I have family (sister) that lives there. I hope you would be willing to have a spectator to look at the car next time I am in that part of the countryside. :Biggrin:

T

That is awesome! What a great story and build. I like that you're planning on driving and enjoying it.
My only question with the flat tappet cam is what sort of oil are you using as modern oils have low zinc and have been known to flatten a cam within a few thousand miles (I'm sure this is a extreme case).
In my Chevelle I used EOS (Engine oil Supplement?) from the dealership that has a lot of zinc for the old motors.

Does Valvoline have higher Zinc content than other modern oils? I've read countless pages on oil debates, and if I remember correctly, most guys running solid lifters and/or flat tappet camshafts would look for Valvoline due to the Zinc.

Owning and restoring the car you loved in your childhood is just incredible. I don't know of any other owner who can say they own the exact car they wanted and saw regularly as a child.

Would be great to get our C2s together sometime - mine has been raced so the paint shows "experience", maybe one day I will repaint it or get a C2 Stingray that is more of a cruiser!

Hi
I build a fair amount of motors and deal with customers rides and yes I use hyperlube it is a zinc additive in all mine, also use shell rotella it still has zinc in it but I use a additive anyway as they wont tell you when they pull the zddp out of there oil sometime to save money. Any of the actual racing oils still have zinc also Lucas oil makes a couple different products. But yes we have to be careful anymore with all the changes I have seen a few now where the fuel pump lobe is failed on the cam because of the same issue.

Thanks for all the input and feed back and yes taylorask8 for sure if your ever in the area drop by have a look and talk cars, especially vettes.
Nw-99ss would really like to get some pictures together and see your car, did lots of racing in the past so I really like old race cars and the history.

I will post a few more pictures right away , got the side pipes all on , lights all working, knock offs and new rubber today I hope, get the hood back on and just about ready. Need a out of province now took the pink card down to registry from 1978 but they said the old girl is no longer in the system. Oh well what do ya do

Reactions: NW-99SS
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.