YFCvii

Power User
Beta
Oct 10, 2016
VetteCoins
WOW and without too much warning ...
... does this not take a huge bite out of GM being a North American Company.
Has "slap in the face" feeling somewhat like how it can feel when Western
Canadian Oil continues to struggle finding a Canadian Port.
I am watching Ottawa to see how they act toward this Eastern economic blow.
There might be fewer jobs involved than what we see out West so I am
feeling it will get more attention. This will become huge Politics.
... we Canadians must find a way to slow the oil from going across the 49th.
Surely there will also be a bit of discussion in favor/against the drive toward
electric and zero-emission vehicles. This was on the horizon.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: ddgermann
... so true, every Tax-paying Canadian has sunk a lot of money into the industry
that has become essentially a band-aid being peeled off and discarded.

... the little person, the union-due paying employee, has a lot to worry as does
every related and unrelated home-owner in Oshawa for their property value
and with Federal mortgage-test renewals (just to start).
Huge domino potential that should get "wealth-wellness" attention from us all
that has happened and may happen anywhere at any time ... rats :Rage:

When it comes to "Mr. T" in the south, I just watch and take pages of notes
on how his off-the-cuff rants influences us over the long-term ... I am constantly
testing a wariness for it having a method-in-the-madness.

Last edited:
That's going to hurt. GM has been quietly and not so quietly ramping up plants in China and the far east over the years and moving manufacturing out of Oshawa so it's been in the making for a while. Furthermore a fair number of sedans from Buick and Caddy will simply cease production in North America. Hoping those impacted bounce back and some better more future facing industry can take its place.

Also they're closing another 4 down in the States so it's not a Canada thing though Ontario pricing hasn't helped.

Last edited:
After all the money the Canadian Taxpayers have sunk into that place the Government should just walk in and take it over lock stock and barrel. We never get a damn thing for all these financial "investments".

Employees walked out this morning in protest.
Government run businesses? I just hope not. We have a pipeline now. Wonder how much us Canadian taxpayers will make (ha-ha) on that one.
We (taxpayers) have sunk enough of our monies in to any number of companies with little if any gain over the years.
Look at Bombardier. They developed the "C" series and ran in to cash flow problems so the Fed and Prov governments bailed them out. Then they go and give the plane away to Airbus. I would like to see a cost accounting of how much the Can and QC tax payers made on that one. It is a double whammy for me as I live in QC. Funny you never here the tail end cost accounting, just the front end of how much it will help the economy as we throw money at it.
Not against the governments lending companies money. There just needs to be a much more rigorous cost/benefit analysis before they throw our money at it - whatever it is.
My rant for today guys!

It's the only one that really counts. The others are just means of transport to go get that loaf of bread and when there is too much bloody snow on the road - for six months
Well, that maybe more descriptive of the other makes ...

Chevrolet (GM) is for, being driven to hockey practice and games, learning to drive and having as one's first car owned, graduation, one's wedding car, driving your wife to the hospital to deliver your first child ... you know ...
like the Budweiser Clydesdale Commercials ... 😢

• Haha
Government run businesses ... We have a pipeline now

Sadly not a pipeline yet as it doesn't "exist". Hopeful for when Canada does have better tide water port capacity, we can cut out the southern middle man making the profit that Canadians should be able to retain and that may help fund the affects of what may be needed to help those affected in Oshawa. We really need Private and Corporate tax contributors operational (essentially the businesses created by the big businesses). Yes, I say this as I am a taxpayer on multiple fronts ... Individually and as a Business Owner who would prefer to be paying income tax than being a "charity" (non-profit operation). Not to rebut your statement about the government (which I feel some days) and to add my business perspective (the Yin and Yang of it all for me)

When it comes to GM, I think they survived well by moving along from Pontiac (even though it was not my opinion at the time - as I had an awesome Supercharged Grand Prix) . I still feel there is too much duplication in their line up with a GM shopper having difficulty choosing between Chev, GMC, Buick and now Cadillac for an SUV/Crossover (as an example). We just bought a Chevy Trax and the two drivers love it. During the initial 13000km of driving, I am hearing that the piddly sun visors don't extend for the driver door window like they do on the Buick Counterpart. I think GM should be looking at their duplication in their lineup ... but what do I know that someone else may explain why it's there ... Why is there still a Buick? Why is there as many as 3 of essentially the same body style under 3 different GM "makes" which an annoyance of minute detail that GM can compete against competitors and it not being seen by me as a left and right arm thing of a GM body.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Sadly not a pipeline yet as it doesn't exist. Hopeful for when Canada does have better tide water port capacity, we can cut out the southern middle man making the profit that Canadians should be able to retain and that may help fund the affects of what may be needed to help those affected in Oshawa. We really need Private and Corporate tax contributors operational (essentially the businesses created by the big businesses). Yes, I say this as I am a taxpayer on multiple fronts ... Individually and as a Business Owner who would prefer to be paying income tax than being a "charity" (non-profit operation). Not to rebut your statement about the government (which I feel some days) and to add my business perspective (the Yin and Yang of it all for me)
It is a pipeline, they just want to enlarge it.
It is all the political BS that envelopes anything any government, which ever party, considers before the yeah or nay. Look at the energy east pipeline. It was the political BS that killed that. Not whether it was viable or not but how many votes they would lose/gain come the next election. We already have western crude coming this way up to a certain point. The vocal minority got the news coverage and shut it down. Pretty well the same out your way.
I have nothing against the green philosophy. They just don't offer any solution other than to shut everything down. I asked one girl if she would remove everything she had on that has some input from the petroleum industry> considering that she was quite good looking it think my eyes would have gone to 20/20 right away.
At any rate, as far as I know, you guys got IPL out there that is not building their $3.5 billion complex with their hand outstretched to Ottawa and AB. No doubt they are getting some concessions or whatever but as far as I know they are not begging for money. Need more of that type of company.

Gee whiz! We are digressing from GM and cars. I better shut up!

no pipeline yet. sadly

maybe the mid is delayed a year with this announcement

after all what r the optics if they close 8 plants and make a mid engine

what does that say to the buying public?

... as far as I know, you guys got ...
... oh my ... hey nothing personal ... :thumbs:
I am one (maybe of so few) who learned to accept the potential of government involvement
with its intention to expand and not as a purchase to sustain. So I extrapolate a definition of
"existing" to only when the "project purchase" runs at capacity.
Little difference with the same way I see a so-called YYC Ring Road not actually existing
until it joins for capacity at both ends (just like how YEG finally finally finally sees their Ring Road).
Definitely no attempt at digressing nor disputing ... and was more on a topic
toward "Canadian" and how government fails with potential tax generating resource(s)
that off-spin additional tax revenue that just may help to fund what those affected in Oshawa
may need.
Other than knowing full well both topics of Oil & GM affect an Eastern and Western Economy
differently, understanding how my comment results in a "you guys" and "us guys" divisiveness
does fails me. My thread does start off with a flavor of this being toward a need to cut strengths
that the US prospers in order to sustain our Country.

Last edited:
... oh my ... hey nothing personal ... :thumbs:

Other than knowing full well both topics of Oil & GM affect an Eastern and Western Economy
differently, understanding how my comment results in a "you guys" and "us guys" divisiveness
does fails me.
No "you guys and us guys", we are all Canadians. Just the politicians who count votes before they consider whether or not something is worth investing our, not their, dollars in. I just figure they are there to administer our tax dollars not just to spend them willy-nilly for votes. Personal opinion is that too many bureaucrats think of it as the government's money rather than what it really is - all of us = our money. Can't quite get how we are going to pay off the debt without some hurt though.

there was an article on MSN this morning regarding the sales figures for GM vehicles over the past three years. It shows that cars are on the downturn with increases on the SUV and truck markets. Ford announced earlier this year that they are shutting down the production of cars and GM is just following suit as the market isn't buying the vehicles.
The approach on how the companies has have announced it is where I see the issue. Ford announced it was going to shut down car production and then started plans to do so. GM leaked it out so everyone was in an uproar before it was announced. This is a problem. GM is doing business, business is driven by demand and profit. Governments can't hold companies to do a certain thing. This is 2,500 jobs in Ontario and I believe its 3,300 or more in the US. why it's bigger news is it's one union, one industry. When the downturn cam e in the oil market, the oil industry lost so many more jobs across the board but it;'s not perceived in the same way.
Maybe the union should be approaching GM with options to change what is manufactured, who manufactures it? There is a lot of newer equipment in that plant that may be good for another company to buy, Hyundai, Subaru, Tesla..............
Our technological age has fostered everything to move at a much faster pace then it ever has before and I believe we are going to see more of this in the future on many fronts.
My nickel, as two cents no longer exist!

The government will make a lot of noise and nothing will change. The poor people of Oshawa will hopefully find other work quickly. I hear ya on the comments when the oil industry came crashing down and still hasn't truly recovered yet. WCS is practically being given away and not a whimper out of Ottawa. Tells me where their priorities are. And I will drag it off topic again, should have built Energy East as far as they could into Southern Ontario. Right up to the Quebec border and then shipped it via tanker to NB. My 12 cent rant for the day. Now what were we talking about again????

The government will make a lot of noise and nothing will change. The poor people of Oshawa will hopefully find other work quickly. I hear ya on the comments when the oil industry came crashing down and still hasn't truly recovered yet. WCS is practically being given away and not a whimper out of Ottawa. Tells me where their priorities are. And I will drag it off topic again, should have built Energy East as far as they could into Southern Ontario. Right up to the Quebec border and then shipped it via tanker to NB. My 12 cent rant for the day. Now what were we talking about again????
The bloody pipeline crosses in to Quebec already and near Hudson Quebec goes right under the Ottawa river. It is already here, Just needed to extend it to either Quebec city (Levis) where there is already an oil refinery or carry on to NB. Either place would have given access to tide water

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread