Power User
Oct 8, 2016
West Vancouver, BC
VetteCoins
Car
2022 C8 Z51 3LT HTC
Province
BC
I read an article the other day on gas & ethanol in local paper by car guy: suggesting not to use. Here in B.C. Esso 91 Octane and Shell are the ones to use. I use Shell 91 octane in my car basically because I get air miles.

WOW! Hard to imagine - did they buy it from someone else??
Nope. Built the plant themselves in 1933 after the feds placed a 3.7 cent a gallon tariff on them buying US gas. The plant cost them an astronomical cost of $32,000 which $30,000 savings was realized in the first year's sales. Out of interest, 32 k would equate to just under 2 million in todays dollars

Nope. Built the plant themselves in 1933 after the feds placed a 3.7 cent a gallon tariff on them buying US gas. The plant cost them an astronomical cost of $32,000 which $30,000 savings was realized in the first year's sales. Out of interest, 32 k would equate to just under 2 million in todays dollars
Crazy: it would cost $5B to $15B to build a refinery ( depending on output 250k - 500K gal.)now and you say they built a full service refinery - oil to gas & distillates for $ 32K - even $2M does not seem to make sense?? My neighbour and other investors are having a state of the art refinery build in N.D. in the midst of their mega oil field right now. We can't get anything built here - we need a refinery here in B.C. big time.

Crazy: it would cost $5B to $15B to build a refinery ( depending on output 250k - 500K gal.)now and you say they built a full service refinery - oil to gas & distillates for $ 32K - even $2M does not seem to make sense?? My neighbour and other investors are having a state of the art refinery build in N.D. in the midst of their mega oil field right now. We can't get anything built here - we need a refinery here in B.C. big time.

Keep in mind that 2 mil is only what the 32 k 1933 dollars are worth now with inflation. That does not take into account the inflated cost of constucting for today's market. The 1933 plant was built with only a skimming plant capable of 500 barrels a day production. Thats only 15,750 gallons. In 1939 another 250,000 built them a cracking plant and In 1954 a 1.7 million expansion brought them up to 12,000 barrels per day; In 1974 another 30 million $ brought them to 30,000 barrels per day and in 2008 they began a 5 year 2.7 billion $ expansion to bring them to 130,000 barrels per day... Thats just over 4 million gallons per day. It's all relative.

Keep in mind that 2 mil is only what the 32 k 1933 dollars are worth now with inflation. That does not take into account the inflated cost of constucting for today's market. The 1933 plant was built with only a skimming plant capable of 500 barrels a day production. Thats only 15,750 gallons. In 1939 another 250,000 built them a cracking plant and In 1954 a 1.7 million expansion brought them up to 12,000 barrels per day; In 1974 another 30 million $ brought them to 30,000 barrels per day and in 2008 they began a 5 year 2.7 billion $ expansion to bring them to 130,000 barrels per day... Thats just over 4 million gallons per day. It's all relative.
That explanation makes sense: from very little production to a lot with added capabilities + billions of Canuck bucks ... :Cheers2: U were holding back on me making me get all the details bit by bit you rascal. I worked in the petroleum industry for over 10 years when I was a young buck: operations, accounting/audit and sales & marketing - wholesale and retail CORO ( company operated retail outlets - beginning of the mega self-serve centers.

Reactions: Rruuff Day
I read an article the other day on gas & ethanol in local paper by car guy: suggesting not to use. Here in B.C. Esso 91 Octane and Shell are the ones to use. I use Shell 91 octane in my car basically because I get air miles.
I vary my 91 here in Ottawa not an issue.

Good example of inflation labour and probably material costs seeing this played out over several decades

Ethanol free here in everything from the lawn mower to my Vette.
Yeah, I use Chevron 94 octane in my new lawn mover and use to use in my car; but, now use Shell 91 (no ethanol) because of the air miles. Communicated with a guy from Richmond this am. - he and 4 other B.C. C.C. members are going for a ride to Harrison Springs for lunch today and all use regular gas in their vettes. About .20 diff. per L between regular and 91 and another .20 L for 94. WE pay stupid prices here in B.C. (especially where I live) for our fuel: carbon taxes which seem to increase and lack of our own supply - need a refinery.

The mileage my Vette gets more than makes up for any savings running regular gas. When I wanted to play, the knock sensors would be degrading the horsepower numbers and economy anyway. Crazy idea. Maybe they could get a group deal on a few Cruze.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.