VelocityYellowRules!

RIP
You're a Regular King of the Post You're Liked 2 You're 10
Jul 15, 2012
Fairview, Alberta
VetteCoins
Car
2006 Z06
So picture it. A record run on seeding the crop. Most years we haven't started seeding yet and I got finished yesterday! What a terrific feeling. 9 days maybe? 3 were a wreck, 2 were so-so and 4 were consecutive records of acres seeded in a day for us. Of course it helped to have two drills running and with my gf to run the 2nd drill we clipped along pretty good.

Today, resting, thinking about other things.

Like what the state of the clutch fluid was in the Z06. Now not being a drag racer or getting the clutch hot too often I'd hope it was in good shape but I wanted to finally take the plunge.

So first step, order the AC Delco DOT4 Brake and Clutch Fluid from my local GM dealer. Guess what? They can't get it!

Second step, which probably should have been my 1st step, order the DOT4 from Amazon.ca!! They have it in stock!

So I gathered up my syringe, glass receptical, towel and fluid and off I went.

Well, there was some black sediment in the bottom of the reservior so I withdrew old fluid, refilled, capped, pumped the peddle and repeated.

I have to say that overall I thought the oil was looked good. I mean I've seen some YouTube videos where it looked like black coffee!

So I repeated that process 4 times and now am going to take the car for a drive and also left the fluid in the glass jar at an angle so any nasties in there will settle in a concentrated area and will be easier to see..........

No rain yet in sight which would be super especially considering we're heading into temps 7 to 8 degrees warmer than normal for the next week or so.

Getting used to the new website before passing judgement.

Happy driving!

Cheers,

Garry

Reactions: Shayne
Good afternoon from sunny Northern Alberta Riley!

Well always remember to live by the "Golden Rule" which for is is "Those who complainb have to do better". This really helps me to keep my comments to myself!!

Not sure yet about Ponoka but all things are possible..................depends on spraying etc.

Cheers,

Garry

I was sort of surprised too. Not so much the black sediment in there but that the oil seemed to have a film almost on the surface. I think I'll give it another go in a few weeks, maybe after a bout of shifting.

I ended up pumping the clutch pedal more like 30 or 40 times in between siphoning and adding the DOT4.

Glad I undertook doing it though and adding a new mechanical skill.

Cheers,

Garry

I too learned about this last year. Was a surprisingly easy undertaking as well. Not sure I need to do it every year given the low miles I drive. But hey, if it needs done, it's cheap and easy anyways,

Nice work Gary.

I did mine about 4 weeks ago. siphoned, filled with new, pumped 30 times, siphoned again, filled and pumped again two more times until it was sparkling clean after the pump. Checked it two days ago and black coffee again.... so this morning I went through the whole procedure again, albeit I only had to syphon and pump twice before it sparkled again. Now for the weird part. Took my baby to work today. Went on a 100km run this afternoon. Came home and the fluid is dark again. No dirt, no chunks or floaties but still dark. Googled some other comments and supposedly this is normal.... carbon black transference from some seals or something in the system. Supposedly doesn't hurt and the recommendation is don't drive yourself crazy trying to always have nice clear clutch fluid.... any comments on this?

ps. hope to meet a bunch of you in Ponoka Saturday. Will be fashionably late due to work commitments but will be there.

How curious!

I haven't popped the cap on mine again yet. I was sort of surprised that while overall it did not appear to be that dirt that there was a deposit of black sediment in the bottom of the reservoir. I was able to, sort of, stir it up and to get most of it out but int he end there were just a few bits of this plus those unknown small clearish crystals in the oil that I removed in the end.

I had to admid that while it may also be my imagination, it does seem to be shifting more smoothly, especially from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. Not thta it was harsh or anything but just requiring less effort.

I wish I could have made Pokona this year!

Cheers,

Garry

Last edited:
Good morning Brian,

I really struggled with it. I got seeding done last Monday but this is a weekend that I have my son and while it would have been a terrific father/son activity Aidan is currently sitting in 1st place in his class's Advanced Reading program but just marginally ahead of the 2nd place student I think. So it is going to go down to the wire and I want him to win it for the 2nd year in a row.

Plus it will give me a chance to get my seed drills cleaned which I don't want to delay on too much longer, get my sprayer ready etc. But rest assured that I'll do a drive in spirit with you guys tomorrow and I'll be hoping that things coordinated better for me next year. I think that was also another difference, last year was later in the summer when school was over and while I didn't have my sone that weekend last year, it would have been something he would have loved do have done with me after I showed him the video clips.....

Cheers,

Garry

The clutch fluid routine has to be done on a continuous basis to keep it clean.Been told and read that clutch dust gets behind the seals on the slave cylinder at the pressure plate and contaminates the fluid.Eventually it wears out the slave cylinder seal and you get a leak or clutch does not disengage I would suspect.Lots of threads on the pedal not returning also,but not sure if its caused by the same issue.Eventually after doing the "back Bleed procedure" several times it will stay cleaner longer,but I do a change with a syringe everytime I open the hood.Dot 4 from Crappy Tire is all I use.No issues yet.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.