Apr 3, 2024
VetteCoins
Car
22’ C8 Corvette 2LT
Province
NB
I was never happy with my garage lighting and I found when doing paint correction and coatings/waxes … I have to use a hand held light.

I purchased these 4’ LED tubes , and with a simple removal of the ballast in my original fixtures , BAM …. I have mega MEGA light.

I also installed 2 of these 4’ LED shop lights from Costco for some extra light when I want/need it.

Complete transformation and detailing my car(s) just levelled up ! If your lights are not the brightest , consider these above. Read the specs! The Amazon LED’s will work in any 4’ fixture. You just remove (or bypass) the ballast. Super simple to do.

IMG_4857.jpeg

IMG_4859.jpeg

IMG_4860.jpeg

So I bought a pack of 48” LED tubes from Home Depot that install directly into the identical fixtures you have, and I do too. Run on the oem ballasts. No modification required. Pathetic light compared to my high intensity fluorescents that are long discontinued, and my stash is dwindling. Returned them.

Any experience with those as compared to the Amazon ones? Hate to have to pay for return shipping if they are no bueno. I am picky on lumens. Most lie about CR and lumens.

Most if not all LEDs produce harsh light, unless filtered. Do yours?

Hard to tell from photos how much light yours put out. We need a light meter 🤪

Ok, so here are the finer details.

I went from standard 4' fluorescents (pathetic light) to Costco LED's .. and while I thought wow, great improvement, I still had to use a handheld light to detail my cars. and I have 8 tubes overhead the 2 car side of my garage.

The Costco LED's were FEIT Electric, 4000K/14WS, 1750 Lumens (use existing ballast)

After a year or so now of being disappointed, I started looking for a solution. The Amazon Bulbs had the specs, so I thought what the heck, and ordered them

Amazon LED's (linked above) are SHOPLED, 5000K/36W and 4680 Lumens (ballast bypass)

THEY ARE WAY WAY WAY WAY (3x-4x?) Brighter than the Costco LED's I have now thrown out. Not sure about "Harsh" .. I love these and they do not burn out my retina's at all. Pleasent.

So while you are overthinking my assessment, they are on sale for 11% off + a $10.00 coupon for 4 bulbs :) $59.99 for 4

DO IT ! Thanks me later @carbuff :Cheers2:

Reactions: Billclerm
OK, thanks so much for the info. Sounds good. I will order a set to test out!

[EDIT]/ Wait! Just read the reviews on these tubes.
The bad reviews are really bad. You bought a bunch of these. How many were bad/cracked/damaged in the package?
People also say they burn out in 2 weeks.

But the good reviews are really good! So it seems like very inconsistent product.

Have you tested them in an unheated garage in the winter? Most LED have a minimum temperature rating, below which they will not turn on (similar issue to fluorescent ballast). Is there any rating stamped on the tubes?

Last edited:
OK, thanks so much for the info. Sounds good. I will order a set to test out!

[EDIT]/ Wait! Just read the reviews on these tubes.
The bad reviews are really bad. You bought a bunch of these. How many were bad/cracked/damaged in the package?
People also say they burn out in 2 weeks.

But the good reviews are really good! So it seems like very inconsistent product.

Have you tested them in an unheated garage in the winter? Most LED have a minimum temperature rating, below which they will not turn on (similar issue to fluorescent ballast). Is there any rating stamped on the tubes?
I bought these over 3 years ago from amazon and they are still working. On almost every day for most of the day. I cut out the ballasts because I didn't want the extra electricity usage. It's a waste of money.

Reactions: use2bl8 and vacek
So I bought a pack of 48” LED tubes from Home Depot that install directly into the identical fixtures you have, and I do too. Run on the oem ballasts. No modification required. Pathetic light compared to my high intensity fluorescents that are long discontinued, and my stash is dwindling. Returned them.

Any experience with those as compared to the Amazon ones? Hate to have to pay for return shipping if they are no bueno. I am picky on lumens. Most lie about CR and lumens.

Most if not all LEDs produce harsh light, unless filtered. Do yours?

Hard to tell from photos how much light yours put out. We need a light meter 🤪
Look at the K number, like 5000k which is a measurement of degrees kelvin and determines the colour of the light. The higher the number the more white the light is. 5000k is considered full spectrum. Balance of blue and red wavelengths leaning toward blue. 3500k would be a “ softer “ colour leaning more to the red spectrum. If you want high light levels go with T5 HO ballasts and tubes. You can get them up to 6500k . Although LED are much more energy efficient. But hard to get the output of T5’s from them . As well as far as efficiency goes you want to compare the number of lumens per watt that each different type of lighting unit produces.

Last edited:
I was never happy with my garage lighting and I found when doing paint correction and coatings/waxes … I have to use a hand held light.

I purchased these 4’ LED tubes , and with a simple removal of the ballast in my original fixtures , BAM …. I have mega MEGA light.

I also installed 2 of these 4’ LED shop lights from Costco for some extra light when I want/need it.

Complete transformation and detailing my car(s) just levelled up ! If your lights are not the brightest , consider these above. Read the specs! The Amazon LED’s will work in any 4’ fixture. You just remove (or bypass) the ballast. Super simple to do.

View attachment 126421

View attachment 126422

View attachment 126423
If you install 4 foot long LED or HO fluorescents on the wall about a foot and a half down from the ceiling you will get much better lighting on the side of your vehicle. Works well.

Users who are viewing this thread