R

RockyPM

Hi everyone, went to start the car at work yesterday and it had a strange almost metallic sound coming from the engine bay. It receded a bit by the time I got home but does it when I start the car now. Any ideas? I’m talking to my mechanic tomorrow.
Thanks in advance for anything I should check for.

Reactions: Nik
No Brian, first thing I checked was the oil and it's right at the full line. Trying to attched a video but doesn't seem to want to work. Sound is coming from the front I believe.

Car is going in tomorrow morning to get diagnosed. I really think it’s the harmonic balancer but will confirm.

Car may be out for the year. If I’m going to get this fixed I’m thinking I might as well do the ok pan gasket and line to and from the oil cooler. Going to be a few bucks.

Joanne is bugging me about looking at a new car but not right now Jeff.

Well car was in the shop this morning and what do you know, no noise. Nothing. Nada. Al joked and I think he thought I was losing my mind. I showed him the video to he looked closely at the balancer and is not showing any of the telltale signs. So what to do? DRIVE IT!! Planning on having the car in next spring for the oil pan gasket replacement and cooler line replacements so will check on it at that time. Has to be ready for the big trip south next august!

Thanks for the advice, prompting to buy new(er) and support!

Reactions: ddgermann
Oh … 2 of my Dealerships (business owner resources) are phoning me asking if I know anyone who is
considering a New Corvette (actually any New GM vehicle). I then found 7 - 2019's (Z06, GS & Rays) all
on the same lot and they want them gone this weekend (tomorrow) …
got two calls from them this week to tell me …
I have one tire kicker already lined up to go tomorrow.
Now that there's not a whistle to be heard in yours, Paul …
please pass this message along to Joanne :angelic:

Last edited:
Reactions: ddgermann
Rocky wonder if it is possible that a small stone or something similar got caught up in the rotating assembly somewhere. Maybe it fell out? Hope that is the end of the problem.

Speaking of that... the Thursday before the Mountain Cruise I took the car in for an oil change.... leaving I hear a noise in the front right near breaks...... I was like WTF... 5-10 seconds and I hear the rock come out.

Never know.

B

Ok, so back from vacation down to San Diego and area and finally got to changing out the serpentine belt.

Removed the old belt, very tight! Cleaned the pulley grooves as best as I could and installed new belt. Fired up the car and THE SQUEAK IS GONE!

$50 fix and we are as good as new. Now the sun has to shine for the Wheels for Wishes in St. Albert on Saturday!!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.