Sep 1, 2018
VetteCoins
Car
76 corvette stingray
a shout out to all my brothers and sisters out there in corvette land. im new to this forum since i am a proud owner of a 76 stingray that i picked up in july. it needs a bit of work but nothing serious just mostly to the interior. i have a couple of questions 1st) what is the biggest gas tank can i put in it and 2nd) is it possible to change the interior over to the 78-82 style? im thinking it is but not 100% sure. any help will be greatly appreciated and i thank you for letting me join your group.

a shout out to all my brothers and sisters out there in corvette land. im new to this forum since i am a proud owner of a 76 stingray that i picked up in july. it needs a bit of work but nothing serious just mostly to the interior. i have a couple of questions 1st) what is the biggest gas tank can i put in it and 2nd) is it possible to change the interior over to the 78-82 style? im thinking it is but not 100% sure. any help will be greatly appreciated and i thank you for letting me join your group.

Welcome... Moving this to the appropriate forum.

Welcome HMO...
Congrats on the ‘76 arrival.
Re: Interior change-out.... didn’t they relocate the park brake in the later C3 models?
Are you planning to just change for better seating or the whole interior?

Let’s see some pics of your ride.
Graham

Last edited:
Welcome HMO...
Congrats on the ‘76 arrival.
Re: Interior change-out.... didn’t relocate the park brake in the later C3 models?
Are you planning to just change for better seating or the whole interior?

Let’s see some pics of your ride.
Graham
im hoping to change everything except the dash

almost anything is possible in the customising world but : in your case it may be a little tough from what I see or know. The console in your 76 has the wheels to control the heat etc , the 78 up are different with levers so you would need a donor car to get all the cables, switches etc . Shifter and park brake are the same. Seats you can make work, if added power drivers then need to wire that up which is easy. Door panels won't match up to 76 doors cause of the handle and holes for remote mirrors , door locks. This is a paste of door info :

All coupe doors physically interchange-however: 68 is by itself due to the lock/pushbutton being together. 69-77 are 1 style door panel and really 69-72 have no internal crash bar, while 73-77 do, but they interchange redily. Then 78-82 are another style door panel. It is not easy to make early doors work on a late car unless you use corresponding door panels. Verts all interchange, but 68 is by itself, and the 73-75 has the crash bar .

....also the compartment behind the seats is different but that you don't need to change as it is not seen in the 76 as like in the big back window cars with the retractable curtain .
gas tank is bigger in the newer cars but the filler neck is a different location so that won't work for you. I seen jobber tanks out there that may be bigger to fit or you can get one made up to work in there.
.... just last tuesday I went to inspect a 76 coupe for a friend and he bought it after my approval ( ha ha !! ) we are going to go pick it up next week so I will compare it better with my 82 when we get it back here. But from what I recall seeing , you'll have some fun doing a swap unless you have a good donor car to rob.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread