Tim C.

Regular
You're 5
Aug 22, 2015
Ottawa
VetteCoins
Car
Corvette 2006 Coupe
I went to get gas and fuel door would not open. tried pressing fuel door button...can hear something but door still would not open. looked for fuse no luck...any ideas plse.

Tim could be wrong but is there a cable release for the fuel door? Check the manual to see if there is any mention of it.

Frustrating for certain. What about pressing the button while have someone gently try to open the fuel door? Just a thought.

Should be a couple of small plastic cables in the rear compartment above the drivers side wheel well and rear cubby. And one for the doors as well.

3B19BF8D-003B-4CE2-837C-8D4655E37A07.jpeg

Last edited:
This topic made me wonder if there is a release cable in the C7. I have not read anything about it in the manual, and with how “electronic” this car is, if that messes up when you are needing gas, what the hell do you do?
there has to be? i hope

there has to be? i hope
You might wanna read your manual Tim. I’m curious now if you’re aware of the alternate way of opening your doors from the inside if you have a sudden loss of power and the button on the grab handle does nothing ?

You don’t want to be in a situation like the old guy and his dog in Texas a few yrs back.

On the floor as shown in my car,you’ll see this plastic handle. That releases the door if there’s no power. There’s one for the passenger side in the same location.

AAAF5A5F-3206-4591-A2C2-9A84D280A954.jpeg

You might wanna read your manual Tim. I’m curious now if you’re aware of the alternate way of opening your doors from the inside if you have a sudden loss of power and the button on the grab handle does nothing ?

You don’t want to be in a situation like the old guy and his dog in Texas a few yrs back.

On the floor as shown in my car,you’ll see this plastic handle. That releases the door if there’s no power. There’s one for the passenger side in the same location.

View attachment 31478
thanks so much my friend

• Clever
Reactions: MikeysZ06

This happened to my wife a couple years ago when we first got her vette. Once she got in the car the battery went dead. She couldn't get out because we did not know about the manual door opener on the floor. She was in the car in the garage with no cell phone. After sitting there for a couple minutes she thought about the roof coming out, and was able to climb out of the car. She said she was thinking about trying to kick the window out before she thought about the roof. Once the roof was cracked open she felt a instant relief.
View attachment 31478

This topic made me wonder if there is a release cable in the C7. I have not read anything about it in the manual, and with how “electronic” this car is, if that messes up when you are needing gas, what the hell do you do?
Although this is a C6 question, Re: wondering about the C7 Fuel Door:
The C7 does not have appear to have anything "grabbing" the fuel door, you can open it with your fingers if you try.
I think it's just a simple spring pop out that is electrically disabled when the C7 is locked so that you can't push for it to pop out - but you can still finger-pry it open.

Although this is a C6 question, Re: wondering about the C7 Fuel Door:
The C7 does not have appear to have anything "grabbing" the fuel door, you can open it with your fingers if you try.
I think it's just a simple spring pop out that is electrically disabled when the C7 is locked so that you can't push for it to pop out - but you can still finger-pry it open.
My understanding is there is an electrical locking mechanism ( with plastic actuator rod) that engages into a receiving hole when the car doors are "locked". I've read a number of times that some C7 owners have experienced the dreaded "locked fuel door". This electronic lock mechanism activates a locking pin and its when this locking rod gets stuck the fuel door wont open. One fix is to install a cheap pushpin to block the pin receiver hole so the lock wont engage at all. Note the door still clicks closed.

fueldoorplug_99b7bf15fab74f6534470586d6727f5ca51ea75a_d8bde8527a952d65646b5d3fdfdabb0f6ecbe6f8...jpg

fueldoorsolenoidtext_d6ee5e8a2b4a4edb59c7ddfe7937859005a5fb46.jpg

My understanding is there is an electrical locking mechanism ( with plastic actuator rod) that engages into a receiving hole when the car doors are "locked". I've read a number of times that some C7 owners have experienced the dreaded "locked fuel door". This electronic lock mechanism activates a locking pin and its when this locking rod gets stuck the fuel door wont open. One fix is to install a cheap pushpin to block the pin receiver hole so the lock wont engage at all. Note the door still clicks closed.

View attachment 31481

View attachment 31482
I stand corrected ... I didn’t think to open the fuel door and lock it with the remote. Did it and there is a pin that pops out that will lock the door from being pried open ...

was trying to,figure,out the,pin thing so,I could do,it

sorry for,the,confusion
Don’t check it out the way I did it 😂
Guaranteed confusion now 🤣
Im fitting for a carbon fibre vent install right near my fuel door ... I must remember to avoid multi-tasking ... resulting in a misleading result on that pin. I am sorry 😐
9C43F0CA-31E8-40D8-B41C-086925EBEF9C.jpeg

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.