Aug 4, 2012
Newmarket On
VetteCoins
Car
1975 stingray
Province
ON
Hey guys,

Is it possible to separate the wiring in the front running light from the turn signal? I want to run a led running light on the existing run circuit but have the turn signal operate separate. Basically split the 1157 circuit if the makes sense.

I can wire the running light separate on its own switch, that's fine but I only want the turn signal to flash when needed and not be on all the time as run.

I hope this makes sense lol, any insight would be great

Thanks

I'd have to go back and look at my notes but the running lights and side marker lights are wired oddly and work off each other (part of the reason you can tell when a bulb is burnt out)
Separating the front dual element bulb into 2 circuits is easy enough but IIRC correctly that would affect the function of the side marker/signal light. The side marker/turn sign lights are wired across the two sides of the 1157 and the ground goes through them differently depending on if the marker lights are on or not. When the park lights are on and the signal flashes opposite the front lights (as it actually turns the side lights off when the front flash on) but when the park lights are off they will flash together with the front lights.
When I switched to LED front lights it took some figuring to get it to actually work since it needed to flow both ways through the LED which only wants to go one way.

All that said, I don't think it's an actual LAW that the side lights flash to indicate you're turning, but since our front lights are tunneled so deep, it's probably a good thing they do.

So, doable but maybe not as straight forward as you'd hope.

There are some DRL options out there if that's what you're up to
HIH
M

Maybe a suggestion would to be look at the Radio Flyers site to see if he may have already developed a kit or solution to what you are looking for. They build some really interesting lighting options, I have their headlight conversion on my C5 and they work very well.

Good luck.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the responses, sorry for the delay I was away. I am eliminating the front grills for some stainless inserts and wanted to put some lighting in behind. I think I am going to look at switchback led lighting. They are also three wire and should wire up.

I will post some pics if it all works out.

I was going to suggest that you could try using LED switchbacks. They might do the trick for you. I have a set in my Trans Am, but I chose them for the heat (or lack thereof) in the tiny housing that was burning the 3157 bulbs and damaging the housing. They are supposed to be white for the daytime running lights, and flash amber for the turn signals. You may need to use a resistor or a relay to allow enough voltage to run the light properly. Also, you will need to replace your flasher with an electronic one, as the stock electro-mechanical flasher will not work properly with LEDs and you will get a sporadic flash.

Hey guys,

Is it possible to separate the wiring in the front running light from the turn signal? I want to run a led running light on the existing run circuit but have the turn signal operate separate. Basically split the 1157 circuit if the makes sense.

I can wire the running light separate on its own switch, that's fine but I only want the turn signal to flash when needed and not be on all the time as run.

I hope this makes sense lol, any insight would be great

Thanks

I don't see any issue with your modification. The marker or running lights do not affect the bright signal filament of the 1157, and are on only when the headlights are on. As well, the signal portion of the lamp does not affect the marker filament of the 1157. They are both only sharing a common ground, and would have no ill effect separating them as you wish to do with two separate lamps. As someone had already mentioned, you would need to change out your old style bi-metal flasher to a grounded wire electronic flasher if you change over to led bulbs in your signal lamps. I have changed out both flashers and all my lamps to the led type in my 70 coupe and they work great. Good luck with your restoration!

It appears you are doing a complete frame off restoration on your car. I wonder if you could post a few pics of the process.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.