Sep 10, 2020
Alberta
VetteCoins
Car
69 C3, 21 C8
So, after a 2 hour drive on Sunday and after 2 hours of picking bugs out of the front grilles on the C8, I decided to install a bug screen on the front of the car. I was kind of holding off because I didn't know if I thought it was look bad. After I put it on I was mildly surprised. I don't think it looks as bad as I originally anticipated. I pretty happy that I don't have to clean the front grilles every time I go for a drive in the country! I'll just remove the screen, give it a shake and a spray and throw it back on the car. What do you guys think?
Screen 1.jpg
Screen 2.jpg
Screen 3.jpg

So, after a 2 hour drive on Sunday and after 2 hours of picking bugs out of the front grilles on the C8, I decided to install a bug screen on the front of the car. I was kind of holding off because I didn't know if I thought it was look bad. After I put it on I was mildly surprised. I don't think it looks as bad as I originally anticipated. I pretty happy that I don't have to clean the front grilles every time I go for a drive in the country! I'll just remove the screen, give it a shake and a spray and throw it back on the car. What do you guys think? View attachment 98753View attachment 98756View attachment 98757
Since you asked our opinion I think it looks terrible but if you’re the type to drink around alone in a car and wear a mask I guess it makes sense. I'd hate for you to see what the front and sides of my car look like after a track day
iOS Image - 929219056.jpg

Last edited:
So, after a 2 hour drive on Sunday and after 2 hours of picking bugs out of the front grilles on the C8, I decided to install a bug screen on the front of the car. I was kind of holding off because I didn't know if I thought it was look bad. After I put it on I was mildly surprised. I don't think it looks as bad as I originally anticipated. I pretty happy that I don't have to clean the front grilles every time I go for a drive in the country! I'll just remove the screen, give it a shake and a spray and throw it back on the car. What do you guys think? View attachment 98753View attachment 98756View attachment 98757
Since you asked our opinion I think it looks terrible but if you’re the type to drive around alone in a car and wear a mask I guess it makes sense. I’d hate you to see what the front and sides of my car look like after a track dayView attachment 98763

It looks like crap! Bras always did. But Hey! It's your car. If you don't mind it looking dumb then what do I care. I hope you have PPF under it, because the bras themselves can scratch the car.
Thanks for your input. I do have PPF, I only use it when I'm driving in the County, I'm 4 hours away from the city, so it saves a lot of work cleaning up the car, when I'm in town it's not on.

Reactions: Murray20c8
Thanks for your input. I do have PPF, I only use it when I'm driving in the County, I'm 4 hours away from the city, so it saves a lot of work cleaning up the car, when I'm in town it's not on.
I understand why you do it. I'd rather have bugs in my screens! ;)

Reactions: Gilles27
I would be concerned that it blocks a lot of cooling capacity. Given the discussions everyone has had regarding installation of the grill guards and the potential impact on the operating temperature of the duel clutch ?

I would be concerned that it blocks a lot of cooling capacity. Given the discussions everyone has had regarding installation of the grill guards and the potential impact on the operating temperature of the duel clutch ?
I wouldn't be concerned under normal situations and what he is using it for. If Chevrolet says bugs can't do any "real" harm then the bra won't as far as heat goes.

Thanks, You bring up a good point! When I use the screen I will keep an eye on the temperature gauges.

Reactions: Vette411
I wouldn't be concerned under normal situations and what he is using it for. If Chevrolet says bugs can't do any "real" harm then the bra won't as far as heat goes.

If bent rad fins aren't a concern for GM then I doubt the screen should be a concern in that regard.
Thanks Murray, that's good to know!

Reactions: Murray20c8
I suspect under normal street use, the "bra" won't affect radiator temperature. I think it looks fine but that's obviously a "beauty in the eye of the beholder" opinion. I'd suggest Mike B that after a road trip where you put on some mileage, you carefully check to make sure there's no built-up "road grit/dust" anywhere around the bra, that might scratch your paint as the bra rubs the paint surface from air movement. I've heard one other person who found that and discontinued using the bra as a result. Perhaps if you're driving in areas w/o any dust/dirt blowing around, you'll be OK, but I don't think Alberta qualifies. Good luck and let us know what you find, if you check.

I suspect under normal street use, the "bra" won't affect radiator temperature. I think it looks fine but that's obviously a "beauty in the eye of the beholder" opinion. I'd suggest Mike B that after a road trip where you put on some mileage, you carefully check to make sure there's no built-up "road grit/dust" anywhere around the bra, that might scratch your paint as the bra rubs the paint surface from air movement. I've heard one other person who found that and discontinued using the bra as a result. Perhaps if you're driving in areas w/o any dust/dirt blowing around, you'll be OK, but I don't think Alberta qualifies. Good luck and let us know what you find, if you check.
Thanks Netsinah, I only plan on using it for runs south to GP (4 hrs) and Edmonton (8 hrs). These would by highway runs at higher speeds so there would be a possibility wear on the paint if the cover shifts/vibrates. If that is the case I won't be using it. I do have PPF on the front of the vehicle, I will be keeping an eye on it and let you know if it works or not.

Thanks Netsinah, I only plan on using it for runs south to GP (4 hrs) and Edmonton (8 hrs). These would by highway runs at higher speeds so there would be a possibility wear on the paint if the cover shifts/vibrates. If that is the case I won't be using it. I do have PPF on the front of the vehicle, I will be keeping an eye on it and let you know if it works or not.
The old bras went to fins on them to keep them planted. Yours is more of a mesh so it might not vibrate. Out of curiosity let us know how it works for you. Mark Riel on Facebook (where I get the daily numbers) used one on his 2 week cross country trip. You may want to ask him how it went.

Reactions: Mike B
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.