Jul 31, 2021
Manitoba
VetteCoins
Car
Red Mist 2023 Coupe
Province
MB
I put my front licence plate on today...
20230117_155548.jpg

20230117_155700.jpg

20230117_155710.jpg

If you look closely, you will see it isn't a real plate. Its a vinyl replica I ordered from a website called licenceplate.ca
I did have to poke some holes in it so I could put the original cover back on. I might try going with the plate covered for a while, the jury is out on that. I will report back on the longevity over the summer.

Reactions: OL Yeller
The website I ordered it from has the following statement:
  • There is no such law that determines that non-standard vinyl licence plate replica are illegal. Therefore, you should not be in any legal trouble for using a non-standard vinyl licence plate replica.
I'm not assuming there won't be any problems, but I expect law enforcement won't give it a second look.
I'll likely have more issues with the plate covered as I intend to do initially. But we do have a lot of cars here from Saskatchewan & Alberta so it's not unusual to see no front plate.

In MB no front plate = ticket. Plate on the dash = ticket. Frame around plate or any obstruction at all = ticket. Plate offset and not in the center = ticket. Many do all the above and get away with it daily lucky bastards, i got stopped no warning just ticket. I like how your able to still put the cover back on for a flush clean look, may be able to play dumb with if your pulled over and say you forgot to take it off after taking pics ect.. I'm going to order one for sure, I'll risk it.

• There is no such law that determines that non-standard vinyl licence plate replica are illegal. Therefore, you should not be in any legal trouble for using a non-standard vinyl licence plate replica.
I'm not assuming there won't be any problems, but I expect law enforcement won't give it a second look.
I'll likely have more issues with the plate covered as I intend to do initially. But we do have a lot of cars here from Saskatchewan & Alberta so it's not unusual to see no front plate.
You should be fine. Trust the internet. Oh, make sure you address the person tapping on your window as "Officer", not "Pig". Some friendly advice from your friend from the internet...

in BC, a vinyl plate is not legal, at least according to the cops I spoke with. Careful of what you read on the interweb.
I obviously can't speak for the cops you talked to, nor can I confirm or deny, but don't believe everything they tell you either! They will tell you what they think it should be and not what it really is!
In Ontario the traffic act is available online. Is the BC one? It would be good to look for oneself.

• Agree
Reactions: Rruuff Day
But will they guarantee that by offering to pay for a ticket? “You shouldn’t be in any legal trouble “ - gotta love the noncommitment

I don't place much weight on the website claims, but these replicas look so close to the metal plates the real question is who is going to notice. My money is...no one in a uniform! But we shall see...
It would have to be someone who has it out for you or for fancy cars. Otherwise, I agree it’s unlikely anyone will care. My truck’s licence plate is flaking paint and no one has said anything yet.

Reactions: Murray20c8
It would have to be someone who has it out for you or for fancy cars. Otherwise, I agree it’s unlikely anyone will care. My truck’s licence plate is flaking paint and no one has said anything yet.
Agreed, sad but true. When I got my ticket the cop didn't even see the front of my car, just pulled me over then walked up to look. Actually told me he pulls over any nice car for this reason. Now I will fully admit I was speeding AND was trying to catch up to a Camaro to race, so i was pleasantly surprised and welcomed just a plate ticket. Before the cop walked off he asked who would win ( he clearly noticed what I was up too), I said me for sure lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Matt_Orleans
why not just put on the real plate easy to do , if down the road they allow front plates just pop on the factory cover holes are hidden
Some, like myself, don't want to bend a $300.00 license plate. I found an alternative to bending it, but others have not.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.