I had an interesting and lengthy discussion with a GM engineer at the recent NCM Bash about the handling of the Z06 with and without 1) the CF rims (41 lbs less weight), and 2) the Z07 package. He’d ++ driven all Z06 variants. I was told there was a negligible difference with street driving, since the base Z06 was such a great performance car already. I thought you’d notice more responsive steering on the streets with the CF rims but he said no, based upon his extensive miles behind the wheel of the Z06. As for the track, the base Z06 also handles ++ well. If you want to up your game on the track, he said the biggest difference was the Cup 2R tires: a set would improve track handling and bring the base Z06 closer to a Z07 equipped car and eventually, you’ll be able to buy Cup 2R tires separately. BUT if you were ++ into getting the absolute most performance and especially squeezing EVERYTHING you could to achieve the FASTEST track time, then the Z07 package with CF rims was the way to go. So the main point was just how well designed the base Z06 already was for performance…and only those truly into competition racing, would benefit from the Z07 package and CF rims. I also asked a Michelin engineer if the white ceramic coating on the CF rims (meant to dissipate heat) would also reduce heat to the tire and improve tire longevity. He said no: the benefit was a cooler rim, protecting it and other braking components during ++ track use.

I asked the GM engineer about the durability of the CF rims, which was another concern I had. He said the manufacturer had met a high spec for them and he’d hit many bad potholes with them, with no damage. So he was satisfied they’d withstand a fair bit of abuse. But that’s not saying they’re indestructible: any rim will crack with a bad enough impact and replacing a CF rim will be ++ costly compared to an already expensive Corvette aluminum rim and they might be hard to find for retail purchase initially.

I suspect just like the Z51 package on the C8 Stingray, those who don’t track the Z06 won’t benefit much from the Z07 package or that package with the CF rims. And even if you track the Z06, a small segment that are ++ focused on lap times will truly notice the difference with the Z07 package with or without the CF rims.

Having said that and when standing next to them, the GM engineer and I agreed that the visible CF rims LOOKED GREAT! So if you have the money and simply MUST have them for aesthetics, that’s a value benefit you might appreciate. But to get those CF rims, you first need to buy the Z07 package...

And no doubt many people will buy the Z07 package with CF rims, to get “the best” and achieve the high-wing RACING CAR LOOK with corresponding aero components. But “be careful what you wish for” with the already stiffer ride of the base Z06, made 8% stiffer with the Z07 package. Think about that and your intended use of the car, since it may not fit everyone’s comfort preferences. I know I loved my C8 Stingray’s ride over long distances and when using it as a daily-driver. I know I won’t mind a stiffer ride and I’m looking forward to the more precise handling, so the Z06 should work for me. I also know I won’t see my spouse much as a passenger in the Z06, since she wasn’t keen to begin with on the Stingray’s ride and performance exhaust note (the Z06 sound is an entirely different story).

Some things to consider once Z06 pricing info is released and you’re deciding on options; more so for those of us with financial constraints. The Z07 package won’t be cheap with the ceramic brakes included in the package, and the CF rims will also be a costly option. My 2 cents.

at this point it comes down to how much you want to spend

Somewhat true although some who have the money, may opt NOT to buy the Z07 and CF rims. It could be due to appearance differences (ie. the buyer not being a fan of the high wing look) or practical reasons such as never tracking the car so not needing all the track add-ons. The great thing is having the choice: GM is giving us lots of options so we can in some ways "custom-make" our car. The rest is up to us.

I had an interesting and lengthy discussion with a GM engineer at the recent NCM Bash about the handling of the Z06 with and without 1) the CF rims (41 lbs less weight), and 2) the Z07 package. He’d ++ driven all Z06 variants. I was told there was a negligible difference with street driving, since the base Z06 was such a great performance car already. I thought you’d notice more responsive steering on the streets with the CF rims but he said no, based upon his extensive miles behind the wheel of the Z06. As for the track, the base Z06 also handles ++ well. If you want to up your game on the track, he said the biggest difference was the Cup 2R tires: a set would improve track handling and bring the base Z06 closer to a Z07 equipped car and eventually, you’ll be able to buy Cup 2R tires separately. BUT if you were ++ into getting the absolute most performance and especially squeezing EVERYTHING you could to achieve the FASTEST track time, then the Z07 package with CF rims was the way to go. So the main point was just how well designed the base Z06 already was for performance…and only those truly into competition racing, would benefit from the Z07 package and CF rims. I also asked a Michelin engineer if the white ceramic coating on the CF rims (meant to dissipate heat) would also reduce heat to the tire and improve tire longevity. He said no: the benefit was a cooler rim, protecting it and other braking components during ++ track use.

I asked the GM engineer about the durability of the CF rims, which was another concern I had. He said the manufacturer had met a high spec for them and he’d hit many bad potholes with them, with no damage. So he was satisfied they’d withstand a fair bit of abuse. But that’s not saying they’re indestructible: any rim will crack with a bad enough impact and replacing a CF rim will be ++ costly compared to an already expensive Corvette aluminum rim and they might be hard to find for retail purchase initially.

I suspect just like the Z51 package on the C8 Stingray, those who don’t track the Z06 won’t benefit much from the Z07 package or that package with the CF rims. And even if you track the Z06, a small segment that are ++ focused on lap times will truly notice the difference with the Z07 package with or without the CF rims.

Having said that and when standing next to them, the GM engineer and I agreed that the visible CF rims LOOKED GREAT! So if you have the money and simply MUST have them for aesthetics, that’s a value benefit you might appreciate. But to get those CF rims, you first need to buy the Z07 package...

And no doubt many people will buy the Z07 package with CF rims, to get “the best” and achieve the high-wing RACING CAR LOOK with corresponding aero components. But “be careful what you wish for” with the already stiffer ride of the base Z06, made 8% stiffer with the Z07 package. Think about that and your intended use of the car, since it may not fit everyone’s comfort preferences. I know I loved my C8 Stingray’s ride over long distances and when using it as a daily-driver. I know I won’t mind a stiffer ride and I’m looking forward to the more precise handling, so the Z06 should work for me. I also know I won’t see my spouse much as a passenger in the Z06, since she wasn’t keen to begin with on the Stingray’s ride and performance exhaust note (the Z06 sound is an entirely different story).

Some things to consider once Z06 pricing info is released and you’re deciding on options; more so for those of us with financial constraints. The Z07 package won’t be cheap with the ceramic brakes included in the package, and the CF rims will also be a costly option. My 2 cents.
Great review. Chances of getting a Z06 are slim to none however. IF I were able to order one I would not - probably get the Z07 pkg. - don't want high wing. Too old to think about tracking - just casual driving. I would get 3Lt and HTC with MRC though. I have given up on a Z06 - hoping for E-Ray - LOL.

Reactions: Cruzin

Thanks...

The rumoured price of $10K for carbon wheels is a fair deal.

I run BST carbon wheels on my motorbike, and paid close to $6K CAD for them. They make the world of a difference on a bike, but probably wouldn't feel the impact as much on a car that weighs over 3000 lbs.

But would I option them on a Z06 if I ever end up getting one? Probably not. Stock wheels are :Yuck:

I think GM has done a much better job with the Z06 wheel selection, compared to the C8 Stingray. I especially liked the look of the "Machine Face Z06" rims when viewed in person at the Bash. Plus the Z06 rims are apparently all forged, so good quality.

For me, the visible CF rims are only tempting due to their amazing appearance. But I doubt that reason will justify paying their price and risking the high cost of replacement in the event of damage.

Now all we need is the car; hopefully we'll see some news this month on pricing and when ordering will begin.

Reactions: Cruzin
Thanks for the info, very interesting to see GM has given us many choices, but with the high cost of inflation (Gas) all I need to do is win the lottery. As much a chance as hell freezing over, those that do have sufficient cash hope you enjoy your ride.

One other item of interest for those contemplating the carbon fiber (CF) rims:

-the 2023 C8 manual on page 289 points out that the CF rims are thicker so cars that come with CF rims have longer lug studs
-the manual goes on to recommend you change out the lug studs, for shorter ones, if you're going to install aluminum (not as thick) rims on a car that's been set up for CF rims. That change-out is likely complicated so most people would do it at a dealership...then pay a pretty penny and there's also the time required for that to be done, especially when frequently swapping CF for aluminum rims and vice versa
-the manual doesn't talk about (for example) putting spacers behind the rim on each lug stud, when installing an aluminum rim. That would reduce the length of the exposed lug stud, but it also would reduce the number of threads that would "catch" and hold the lug nut onto each lug stud. Perhaps GM thinks there's a chance the lug nut could come off at higher speeds, with less threads holding it on?
-it may be that the aftermarket crowd will develop a different lug nut, which is increased in length and has more threads to better seat on a longer lug stud. That's not yet available. Or perhaps you could install a lug nut that is open-ended and tighten it down until the proper torque is reached, but that likely won't be visually appealing. Then the other option is to purchase an extra set of CF rims...for a different set of tires. That way the same longer lug studs could be properly used. But that's obviously a ++ expensive option, due to the expected CF rim cost. Plus I'm not sure how readily available an extra set of CF rims will be, especially in the first many months after the car is available and the CF rims are likely only earmarked for production.

Another thing to keep in mind, if you're thinking of buying CF rims.

• Informative
Reactions: Murray20c8
If you hammer them out don't forget to put a wheel nut partially on the threaded part to protect the studs (hammer on the nut not the stud). Rich guys won't care but some folks may!! :Biggrin:
You mean the nut should use a hammer? I hate using a hammer on my nuts ;) LOL I guess if you want to save the stud that would be wise.

• Haha
Reactions: Black 03 Z06
I haven't looked at the C8 hubs, but changing lugs is not hard. Unless something has changed with newer cars, it's just a matter of hammering them out and using a nut (or puller) to pull the new ones in.

I tried w/o success to find a video showing someone changing out the lug studs on a C8, but I did find one showing it done on a C5 and it looks to be (as described in the video) a Pain In The A** (aka: PITA):

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.