Oct 8, 2018
Northern Ontario
VetteCoins
Car
2019 Z06 3LZ LBR-MT
Province
ON
I did a search on Foam Cannons however I couldn't find a thread that really provided me any clarity with regard to recommendations or pros and cons.

So with that, what are your thoughts? I have a pressure washer and I'd be interested in your findings. Which Foam Cannon to buy and are they any good? As well what soap do you use and any other recommendations.

My understanding is a Foam Blaster will prevent the swirls you might otherwise get with standard washing.

I should say right now I don't use buckets, I soak a wash mitt and add soap directly to the wash mitt. The car is thoroughly rinsed then washed and rinsed again. Always top to bottom, then rinse again and finish with a chamois.

Wheels always with a separate wash mitt.

Looking forward to your responses.

There are many offerings when it comes to foam cannons. I just bought the Chemical Guys cannon but haven't used it yet.It seems to be a pretty popular one. Any cannon from a reasonable detailing company should do as long as it works of a pressure washer versus a hose. They require a 2000 psi minimum pressure to work well. As far as soap there are specific foaming washes/soaps for use with foam cannons that expand/foam up to help pull the dirt off the finish.
1556485334509.png

Link to video of it in action

Going direct with the wash mitt without a bucket will cause dirt and grit to swirl and scratch paint. Two bucket method is best to avoid using a contaminated wash mitt. You will likely also find a micro fiber drying cloth more paint friendly than a chamois as they can trap things in them away from the finish vs rubbing them on the car.

Last edited:
I did a search on Foam Cannons however I couldn't find a thread that really provided me any clarity with regard to recommendations or pros and cons.

So with that, what are your thoughts? I have a pressure washer and I'd be interested in your findings. Which Foam Cannon to buy and are they any good? As well what soap do you use and any other recommendations.

My understanding is a Foam Blaster will prevent the swirls you might otherwise get with standard washing.

I should say right now I don't use buckets, I soak a wash mitt and add soap directly to the wash mitt. The car is thoroughly rinsed then washed and rinsed again. Always top to bottom, then rinse again and finish with a chamois.

Wheels always with a separate wash mitt.

Looking forward to your responses.

This is a great yearly topic 😂

I like the foam cannons but not on a hot sunny day. I use one just on the garden hose.
I use a wash head on a stick that holds some soap then rinse the he// out it. Pressure washing is ok at a distance now and then too. But be careful of your clear film if you have it. Actually Ziggy @turbozig gave me some good tips for washing along the edges of the clear film just to other day.
This year there are a few of us looking into the RO filters to remove the water spots when rinsing.
The topics and opinions are endless. Everybody has a perfect method.
🍿

So true, everyone has a method. Generally the less contact anything has with the finish the better. Hower contact is required/inevitable no matter what at some point. So using the best methods to reduce contamination and best materials becomes key there.Distance as you mentioned is critical. Dont go up close! Better fannned stream from a distance as well. Good point on the pain protection film also. A blower vs any type of drying cloth is the best...however a Master Blaster is not cheap.

Going direct with the wash mitt without a bucket will cause dirt and grit to swirl and scratch paint. Two bucket method is best to avoid using a contaminated wash mitt. You will likely also find a micro fiber drying cloth more paint friendly than a chamois as they can trap things in them away from the finish vs rubbing them on the car.

I would have thought the same rationale you have used for microfibre clothes would also be applicable with a heavily fibred wash mitt!

The whole cleaning process is one we can delve so deeply into we will never come up for air lol.

I'm just going to hold my breath and do a small portion here. Addressing a few of the points brought up.

The video was ONLY for demonstration of a foam cannon being used/ the same model I bought. Which is a pretty popular model and most used on a pressure wash system are basically the same. I did not advocate the pressure wash rinse. It was just to see a cannon in action.Since your question was just about a foam cannon and soap solution. I noticed the mitt portion and thought I would offer some good advice whilst already replying. I do however use a pressure washer to rinse things but from a distance. The pressure wash will remove more dirt than a hose rinse will. A pressure washer needs to be a low PSI model or set to a lower setting to not do damage.Also the right tip is critical. A Fan style tip vs ones with a more concentrated beam. Also it should be used from a distance vs up close.

Re the mitt....You did not state what type of mit you were using, only how you were using it. I was picking and choosing what areas and depths I would go to in the reply. When it comes to a mitt the best way to go is a micro fiber mitt. The ones with the tentacle type finish ( like the one used in the video) offer more surface area and crevices to trap particle away from the car. I only addressed how the mitt was being used in the reply. When not using a bucket and applying directly the mitt will retain more grit no matter what type of mitt is used. You are basically accumulating grit in the wash mitt and working it int your paint as you go. Getting more and more abrasives accumulating and doing more and more damage if not rinsing it out during the process. The two bucket method is the preferred method when it comes to a wash mit/ cloth/ whatever is used. Soap and water in one bucket, water in the other. After washing a small area/portion, the mitt is rinsed in the water bucket, then re soaped from the other bucket. That way the grit and other slop gets rinsed out in the other bucket and out soap bucket contamination is reduced.

The bottom line with washing and drying is the less contact the better, the less dirt/contamination on the finish at each step the better, the better products can pull dirt away from things to reduce abrasion when contact is necessary the better. However you can spend a small fortune to achieve this. Pressure washer, master Blaster, orbital polisher, cleaning products, mitts 7 cloths can end up costing a few grand if one wants to go to that level. Everyone has a different level of care, time commitment, and money they are willing to invest in this process. Some run their Vettes through car-washes still.

L

The whole cleaning process is one we can delve so deeply into we will never come up for air lol.

I'm just going to hold my breath and do a small portion here. Addressing a few of the points brought up.

The video was ONLY for demonstration of a foam cannon being used/ the same model I bought. Which is a pretty popular model and most used on a pressure wash system are basically the same. I did not advocate the pressure wash rinse. It was just to see a cannon in action.Since your question was just about a foam cannon and soap solution. I noticed the mitt portion and thought I would offer some good advice whilst already replying. I do however use a pressure washer to rinse things but from a distance. The pressure wash will remove more dirt than a hose rinse will. A pressure washer needs to be a low PSI model or set to a lower setting to not do damage.Also the right tip is critical. A Fan style tip vs ones with a more concentrated beam. Also it should be used from a distance vs up close.

Re the mitt....You did not state what type of mit you were using, only how you were using it. I was picking and choosing what areas and depths I would go to in the reply. When it comes to a mitt the best way to go is a micro fiber mitt. The ones with the tentacle type finish ( like the one used in the video) offer more surface area and crevices to trap particle away from the car. I only addressed how the mitt was being used in the reply. When not using a bucket and applying directly the mitt will retain more grit no matter what type of mitt is used. You are basically accumulating grit in the wash mitt and working it int your paint as you go. Getting more and more abrasives accumulating and doing more and more damage if not rinsing it out during the process. The two bucket method is the preferred method when it comes to a wash mit/ cloth/ whatever is used. Soap and water in one bucket, water in the other. After washing a small area/portion, the mitt is rinsed in the water bucket, then re soaped from the other bucket. That way the grit and other slop gets rinsed out in the other bucket and out soap bucket contamination is reduced.

The bottom line with washing and drying is the less contact the better, the less dirt/contamination on the finish at each step the better, the better products can pull dirt away from things to reduce abrasion when contact is necessary the better. However you can spend a small fortune to achieve this. Pressure washer, master Blaster, orbital polisher, cleaning products, mitts 7 cloths can end up costing a few grand if one wants to go to that level. Everyone has a different level of care, time commitment, and money they are willing to invest in this process. Some run their Vettes through car-washes still.

L

Agreed, I would never use a pressure washer on any of my cars, but with a foam cannon I feel that recognizing it's not a forceful spray that I would use it solely to apply the soap and just use the garden hose to wash the soap off.

L

Well I can't believe it but apparently I've been washing my cars all wrong forever......I would like to add though when I wash my cars typically they are clean as I never let them get dirty. If they have had dirt on the lower section then I would use two sepate wash mitts, the first to remove as much of the dirt as possible, then I would use e clean one for the second go round.

Well I'm going to buy two buckets with the tray system and faithfully follow that practice going forward ha ha.

I also ordered a Chemical Guys foam cannon which should be delivered on Monday...........although I have an almost new wash mitt and goodies I bought all new washing and drying materials today for the Vette. As well I moved from Meguires Gold to Meguires synthetic........supposed to provide a wet look!

5 days for me and mine will be home........here's a few shots at the dealers ha ha
IMG_2116.jpg
IMG_2121.jpg
IMG_2117.jpg

Agreed, I would never use a pressure washer on any of my cars, but with a foam cannon I feel that recognizing it's not a forceful spray that I would use it solely to apply the soap and just use the garden hose to wash the soap off.

I wouldn’t be worried about using a pressure washer. Just use common sense.
You will find yourself on the road and will have no choice unless you want to run dirty. (Unlikely)
The Home Depot ones are low pressure so not much to worry about. I use one often to get a good rinse.
But hey... that’s just me 😁

• Agree
Reactions: Cobravenomous
I wouldn’t be worried about using a pressure washer. Just use common sense.
You will find yourself on the road and will have no choice unless you want to run dirty. (Unlikely)
The Home Depot ones are low pressure so not much to worry about. I use one often to get a good rinse.
But hey... that’s just me 😁
The Home Depot low pressure one you're describing, would that simply hook up to a garden hose? If so, sounds like a novel idea when away from home and away from your gas pressure washer!

Well after washing my cars wrong for fifty years I put into practice the two bucket method. The pails I purchased were Simonize and they both have the grate at the bottom to remove debris from the wash mitt.

Well before I attack my new Vette I trialed my new Chemical Guys Foam Cannon and two bucket wash method on my 2017 ATS Cadillac. The soap that came with the Foam Cannon was Chemical Guys HoneyDew Snow Foam. Now I don't know if I'm positively influenced simply because everyone raves about a Foam Cannon, but I really believe that this process is far superior to the results that I've been getting simply using Meguires car soap.

The cannon spread ample suds all over the car. I filled my 32oz bottle with warm water and 2 oz of snow foam. I really believe the new foam car soap did a superior job than past practice and it was fun to do it.

Question: everything I've seen on YouTube recommends drying the car with drying towels. I've always used a synthetic chamois. I would like to hear your experiences and recommendations.

Cobra

Last edited:
Reactions: ddgermann
Well after washing my cars wrong for fifty years I put into practice the two bucket method. The pails I purchased were Simonize and they both have the grate at the bottom to remove debris from the wash mitt.

Well before I attack my new Vette I trialed my new Chemical Guys Foam Cannon and two bucket wash method on my 2017 ATS Cadillac. The soap that came with the Foam Cannon was Chemical Guys HoneyDew Snow Foam. Now I don't know if I'm positively influenced simply because everyone raves about a Foam Cannon, but I really believe that this process is far superior to the results that I've been getting simply using Meguires car soap.

The cannon spread ample suds all over the car. I filled my 32oz bottle with warm water and 2 oz of snow foam. I really believe the new foam car soap did a superior job than past practice and it was fun to do it.

Question: everything I've seen on YouTube recommends drying the car with drying towels. I've always used a synthetic chamois. I would like to hear your experiences and recommendations.

Cobra

After using both real and synthetic chamois for years, ddgermann clued me in to this Absorber... I have been using it for over a year now and to be honest, will never go back to a chamois. This thing absorbs and holds water like a camel without the need to take it out for drinks and supper afterwards...lol...... highly recommend. I bought mine at CDN T.

The Home Depot low pressure one you're describing, would that simply hook up to a garden hose? If so, sounds like a novel idea when away from home and away from your gas pressure washer!

Yup it's really cheap, noisy, low quality 1600 psi pressure piece of crap. And indeed does hook up to the garden hose. Works real good for washing the decks and siding and rinsing the Corvette after a foam job and bucket wash.

Reactions: Cobravenomous
There are many offerings when it comes to foam cannons. I just bought the Chemical Guys cannon but haven't used it yet.It seems to be a pretty popular one. Any cannon from a reasonable detailing company should do as long as it works of a pressure washer versus a hose. They require a 2000 psi minimum pressure to work well. As far as soap there are specific foaming washes/soaps for use with foam cannons that expand/foam up to help pull the dirt off the finish.
View attachment 26092

Link to video of it in action

Bought it and love it.....thanks! And I now use the two bucket system as well. Thanks to all who chimed in to enlighten me!

Cobra (now that my Cobra is in storage, I'm going to have to come up with a new handle! Ha ha)

IMG_2540.JPG
IMG_2541.JPG

After using both real and synthetic chamois for years, ddgermann clued me in to this Absorber... I have been using it for over a year now and to be honest, will never go back to a chamois. This thing absorbs and holds water like a camel without the need to take it out for drinks and supper afterwards...lol...... highly recommend. I bought mine at CDN T.

View attachment 26755

Bought this too.....I think I like the drying towel better though!

Reactions: Rruuff Day
Have used the Absorber drying towel for years on all my vehicles. The Silverado does not get the home wash - only the autowash but after exiting, I use the Absorber for the final complete drying. When drying the sports cars, I use 2 Absorbers, second one for the final dry.

Reactions: Rruuff Day
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread