Rruuff Day

Staff member
Power User
Beta
Aug 30, 2014
VetteCoins
PXL_20210421_205006425.jpg

Dropped in to my dealer for an oil change on my Vette yesterday and my buddy took me back to look at the red mist HTC they were doing the pre delivery on. He has a ceramic and a white on on the way that will go up for sale on the floor as well. I indicated that none of our guys will consider $30k over and he totally understood. In partial defense of the dealers that are selling their C8 in stock cars over MSRP, he enlightened me on a couple of items.
They started out sticking to MSRP most of the way through the inaugural year but had some problems. Five MSRP sales were immediately flipped into the US for mega bucks profit. The big no-no flag went up from GM and they were immediately penalized five of their upcoming allocations for 2021. I mentioned the paper that some dealers make you sign regarding flipping your car to the US before some period of time and mileage and he promptly told me a sheet of Charmin A$$ wipe carried more authority than that did. A GM ban on the flipper does go into effect though and good luck ever buying another new GM vehicle anywhere (They may sell you a Spark if you beg). In short he concluded that these are the crooks that ruined MSRP on C8's at many places but it's the dealers that are called the A holes. It was losing the five allocations that pissed him off the most.
To a degree, I can see his point but I still informed him that $30 over is a hard pill to swallow. Obviously it doesn't affect their sales as that red mist HTC above sold at $30 over and he already has people calling on the other two in transit. Until supply catches up with demand, it doesn't appear that will change so if your dealer is sticking to MSRP on their own C8's, good on them but I'm guessing that all of those cancelled after ordered cars go straight to the showroom floor and MSRP on those disappears instantly. There's the explanation of why cancelled orders seldom moves buyers up in the queue.

View attachment 80765

Dropped in to my dealer for an oil change on my Vette yesterday and my buddy took me back to look at the red mist HTC they were doing the pre delivery on. He has a ceramic and a white on on the way that will go up for sale on the floor as well. I indicated that none of our guys will consider $30k over and he totally understood. In partial defense of the dealers that are selling their C8 in stock cars over MSRP, he enlightened me on a couple of items.
They started out sticking to MSRP most of the way through the inaugural year but had some problems. Five MSRP sales were immediately flipped into the US for mega bucks profit. The big no-no flag went up from GM and they were immediately penalized five of their upcoming allocations for 2021. I mentioned the paper that some dealers make you sign regarding flipping your car to the US before some period of time and mileage and he promptly told me a sheet of Charmin A$$ wipe carried more authority than that did. A GM ban on the flipper does go into effect though and good luck ever buying another new GM vehicle anywhere (They may sell you a Spark if you beg). In short he concluded that these are the crooks that ruined MSRP on C8's at many places but it's the dealers that are called the A holes. It was losing the five allocations that pissed him off the most.
To a degree, I can see his point but I still informed him that $30 over is a hard pill to swallow. Obviously it doesn't affect their sales as that red mist HTC above sold at $30 over and he already has people calling on the other two in transit. Until supply catches up with demand, it doesn't appear that will change so if your dealer is sticking to MSRP on their own C8's, good on them but I'm guessing that all of those cancelled after ordered cars go straight to the showroom floor and MSRP on those disappears instantly. There's the explanation of why cancelled orders seldom moves buyers up in the queue.
View attachment 80765

“A GM ban on the flipper does go into effect though and good luck ever buying another new GM vehicle anywhere (They may sell you a Spark if you beg).”

Peshawa...I’ll believe it when I see it. GM is in the business of selling cars, not banning buyers.

I've heard about the ban as well, wether it holds I guess is up to GM.

How many cancelled on the way cars is this dealer getting that they have 3 being sold over sticker due to cancellation?

If you don't want the car it seems like a no brainer to take it and just flip it yourself rather then cancelling and letting the dealer make the profit.

I suppose a person paying a dealer $30K over is unlikely to flip the car, given the drastically reduced chance of making a profit. Although you never know: someone from the States could be behind such a purchase and fronting the money so the C8 might still make its way to the US and that will supposedly have the same consequences for this dealer: it will lose a future allocation for each C8 that goes down to the States.

Bottom line IMO: the dealer has found a way to justify making a killing on the sale of a C8. I can't imagine there are happy customers who live around that dealer, that are being shut out and unable to make any order...especially if they've got a history of buying other vehicles from that dealer in the past. I suspect the dealer will lose sales in the long run...so it may be "short-term gain for long-term pain". People have long memories.

As far as I know, almost ALL other dealers in Alberta are still selling them for MSRP and not paranoid about the resale risk, and like mine they're doing their "due diligence" when it comes to buyers, to weed out improper buyers as best they can. And my dealer (and others too, by the sound of it on these Forums) are moving a buyer up on their list when someone bows out, rather than taking the order for the dealership. Thank goodness for the other dealers who will order in a C8 for a customer at MSRP...at least it gives hope you'll get one in the normal course, even if it is at MSRP. I'll always support those dealers.

When I was shopping around for a dealer, not one of them was asking for anything more than MSRP. The only dealers I saw asking more than MSRP, were used car dealers.
IMO, any GM dealer asking over MSRP should have their franchise license pulled.

If they order the car or keep the car when a buyer pulls out, it's theirs to do with what they want. The only time I have an issue is if you are ordering a car. Then paying MSRP or less, to me, is the fair thing to do.
If these cars are so hot, and a person doesn’t want to close the deal, why not just ask the dealer for a 5k cheque and let them make 25k...personally I can’t wait for my car!!

If these cars are so hot, and you don’t want to close the deal, why not just ask the dealer for a 5k cheque and let them make 25k...
You can ask ... They have the car until they turn it over to you. They have all the bargaining chips. You pay for it or walk away.

If they order the car or keep the car when a buyer pulls out, it's theirs to do with what they want. The only time I have an issue is if you are ordering a car. Then paying MSRP or less, to me, is the fair thing to do.

I think a difference between Ontario and Alberta, is that Alberta dealers get at most 20 to 30 C8 allocations every year and most get less than that; some as few as 1-2/year. So it's harder here to find a C8 at a dealership and if more dealerships outright refuse to sell them to customers for MSRP (imagine that! and at MSRP they make a good profit) we'll be SOL here in Alberta and be forced to buy elsewhere and ship them to us. What a pain! If this catches on, dealerships will eventually get cut out of the equation and everyone will simply buy direct from GM. That's not an automotive world I want...

I think a difference between Ontario and Alberta, is that Alberta dealers get at most 20 to 30 C8 allocations every year and most get less than that; some as few as 1-2/year. So it's harder here to find a C8 at a dealership and if more dealerships outright refuse to sell them to customers for MSRP (imagine that! and at MSRP they make a good profit) we'll be SOL here in Alberta and be forced to buy elsewhere and ship them to us. What a pain! If this catches on, dealerships will eventually get cut out of the equation and everyone will simply buy direct from GM. That's not an automotive world I want...
My point was you order a car you should pay MSRP or less IMO. Right now Dealers can not buy for stock so the only way they can get a car is if the buyer can't / won't take the car he ordered. Most dealers in Canada sell them for MSRP when you order one. What they do with it if you walk away is entirely up to them. It's their car until you take delivery. If you don't it still belongs to them. GM sells the car to the dealership, not to the end buyer.

Reactions: MY21C8
My point was you order a car you should pay MSRP or less IMO. Right now Dealers can not buy for stock so the only way they can get a car is if the buyer can't / won't take the car he ordered. Most dealers in Canada sell them for MSRP when you order one. What they do with it if you walk away is entirely up to them. It's their car until you take delivery. If you don't it still belongs to them. GM sells the car to the dealership, not to the end buyer.

I know what you're saying. My understanding is that Rruuff Day's dealership allows customers to order ZERO C8's but rather orders all of their allocations for the dealership itself, then flips them for ++ profit (way over MSRP). My neighbour went to that same dealership a month ago to check out a 2021 Red Mist C8 (to see how the colour looked) and that's the information he got from the salesperson who showed him the car.

I know what you're saying. My understanding is that Rruuff Day's dealership allows customers to order ZERO C8's but rather orders all of their allocations for the dealership itself, then flips them for ++ profit (way over MSRP). My neighbour went to that same dealership a month ago to check out a 2021 Red Mist C8 (to see how the colour looked) and that's the information he got from the salesperson who showed him the car.
They can't! GM is still only allowing customer orders still SRO not SRE (If I remember the acronyms correctly)

Reactions: Maximus74
A quick google search reveals the cost of shipping a car across Canada is as little as $450 to as much as $2000. Why would someone pay $20-30k over MSRP?

A quick google search reveals the cost of shipping a car across Canada is as little as $450 to as much as $2000. Why would someone pay $20-30k over MSRP?
Because they can. ;)
I wouldn't, but I'm retired on a fixed depreciating income.

Reactions: Dik
It just bugs me when I hear of dealerships trying to gouge their customers. Makes me wonder what their service department is like.

Reactions: 4vettes
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.